INTEL 10750k - high temps no load (90°c +)

I have a DELL G5 5500 i7 10750k. I've noticed it gets really toasty so I installed Core Temp and HWMonitor. At idle it was sitting at about 90°c (when just opening word went to 100°c for a few seconds then back to 90°). I then went into Alienware command center and turned the thermal profile to cool it was on balanced. The temps have now settled to about 55°c to 65°c with no load. Is this normal? These temps still seem a bit high in my opinion for no load. i keep my laptop on a desk elevated so no air vents are blocked or anything like that

22 minutes ago, MattyE said:

I have a DELL G5 5500 i7 10750k. I've noticed it gets really toasty so I installed Core Temp and HWMonitor. At idle it was sitting at about 90°c (when just opening word went to 100°c for a few seconds then back to 90°). I then went into Alienware command center and turned the thermal profile to cool it was on balanced. The temps have now settled to about 55°c to 65°c with no load. Is this normal? These temps still seem a bit high in my opinion for no load. i keep my laptop on a desk elevated so no air vents are blocked or anything like that

HWMonitor causes a bit of load on your CPU. I've noticed that I get like 2-4°C more on a similar laptop if I have it open.

These idle temps don't seem normal. How fast are the fans spinning when you get these idle temps?

What you could try is to just yank the fans up to 100% by setting a custom fan profile that just has them on 100% all the time and then see what the temperatures look like. If I do that with my laptop (specs right below), I can get down to around 5°C above ambient temperature at idle.

I mostly use a custom fan profile for my Asus Rog Strix G17 with an Intel Core i7 10750H, the same CPU that you have and if I set the fans to 0% for as long as possible, it idles at 40°C at first but after 5 minutes or so, it settles in at around 60°C. Since I set the fans to turn on at 70°C, they never go on unless I really do stuff like opening something or scrolling for longer.

If your fans are actually running a fair bit, check your heatsinks for dust. If there is none, the solution that will very likely help is to open up your laptop and removing the cooler and checking how the thermal paste looks.

Could you please provide some screennshots of HWMonitor and Core Temp?

Edited by DreamCat04

Idle temps aren't important as long as it's not in the 90s or something. Load temps are more important. Since this is a laptop you'll be fine as long as it doesn't start thermal throttling under load. 

3 minutes ago, Pixelfie said:

Idle temps aren't important as long as it's not in the 90s or something. Load temps are more important. Since this is a laptop you'll be fine as long as it doesn't start thermal throttling under load. 

But 65°C are quite high idle temps for a laptop like this! I get like 40°C at idle with a similar laptop. Even with a U-class 10th gen i7 chip I get like 35°C in idle with a room temp of ~22-24°C. And his CPU shooting to 100°C by just opening word is NOT normal. If I open up word on my laptop, it shoots to like 65°C and approaches the mid to high 70s right before word is all loaded and then it goes back down to 45-50°C

Edited by DreamCat04

6 minutes ago, DreamCat04 said:

But 65°C are quite high idle temps for a laptop like this! I get like 40°C at idle with a similar laptop. Even with a U-class 10th gen i7 chip I get like 35°C in idle with a room temp of ~22-24°C. And his CPU shooting to 100°C by just opening word is NOT normal. If I open up word on my laptop, it shoots to like 65°C and approaches the mid to high 70s right before word is all loaded and then it goes back down to 45-50°C

Yes it's on the high side, but not really something to worry about. A similar laptop can give very different results. One might have a fan curve optimized for low noise which results in high temperatures, and the other might have a fan curve optimized for temperatures which results in more noise.

The U chips are designed for thinner laptops, with low power consumption so less heat. A U chip isn't comparable to a H with temps.

@MattyEdoes it still go up to 100 when loading Word? What about full load (like Prime95)? Maybe it's time for cleaning the laptop

11 minutes ago, Pixelfie said:

does it still go up to 100 when loading Word? What about full load (like Prime95)? Maybe it's time for cleaning the laptop

Well if it goes to 100°C in Word, it will certainly go there in prime95 if not higher. When I open up word, my CPU sits at like 50-60 watts. While running prime95, it goes to almost 100 watts, then it backs it down to 85°C due to my cooling system eing overwhealmed with 100 watts on the CPU. I would suggest you @MattyE to, as I said already and Pixlefie also told,  to clean your fins and if you're confortable with it, reapplying thermal paste.

11 minutes ago, Pixelfie said:

The U chips are designed for thinner laptops, with low power consumption so less heat. A U chip isn't comparable to a H with temps.

Yes, but also no. They do in fact consume less power. My 10710U gets as low as 0.3 - 0.5 watts in idle while the lowest I saw on my 10750H was like 1.5 watts. Under full load with cinebench, even my 10710U spikes to 51 watts and after 5 seconds it backs it down to 18 watts due to it getting to 100°C. It can almost fully handle opening up Adobe creative cloud while boosting because it "only" consumes an average of 35 watts and doesn't reach 100°C before the fan spins up.

Edited by DreamCat04