Device Descriptor Request Failed - IO USB

Perkaholic

EDIT 5/19 It's looking like the board I replaced the psu with a 1000w today same problem. I will leave this open for another day or two just incase someone knows whats causing this if it isn't the board! however thats my next step

Update: Everything was tested and wiped before making this post. my peripherals work fine. all the ports put out power (e.g if i plug an rgb mouse into it, it powers up) but no other usb devices work like mice and keyboards  

I am still having this issue. IDK what to do, I have never seen anything like this I am stumped.

Hey guys I have no clue what happened honestly everything worked fine booted up in the morning. I thought I had windows updates and everything disabled with winaero. So I thought maybe a setting reverted or something software. well anyway I got tired of messing with it and reformatted lo and behold the first thing I see when I finally boot back into fresh windows.

Anyone have any issues like this?

Thanks so much guys. I have work in the morning and I don't think I can manage with two usb ports

usb issues.png

wintroubshoot.png

1 hour ago, Perkaholic said:

Hey guys I have no clue what happened honestly everything worked fine booted up in the morning. I thought I had windows updates and everything disabled with winaero. So I thought maybe a setting reverted or something software. well anyway I got tired of messing with it and reformatted lo and behold the first thing I see when I finally boot back into fresh windows.

Anyone have any issues like this?

Thanks so much guys. I have work in the morning and I don't think I can manage with two usb ports

usb issues.png

If you got “unknown” USB that is not reporting so it might not actually exist.  what all is it looking at?  I might worry some peripheral bit it. Maybe strip that hub out and just plug the mouse and keyboard in on seperate USB ports and see what it reads.  This isn’t doing things, it’s just testing.  “Not being able to get away with just two USB ports” implies there is other stuff there besides mouse and keyboard.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

yeah the messed up usb stuff is my only issue. I am also running two gpus but i am only on one until i figure out how to fix these stupid usb ports. Like for example I have work in the morning and I need my mouse webcam mic and keyboard but all that is impossible on two usbs

No wires lose or anything checked board on microscope nothing that i can see I have everything out of the case right now until I fix it

IMG_2067.jpg

13 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

If you got “unknown” USB that is not reporting so it might not actually exist.  what all is it looking at?  I might worry some peripheral bit it. Maybe strip that hub out and just plug the mouse and keyboard in on separate USB ports and see what it reads.  This isn’t doing things, it’s just testing.  “Not being able to get away with just two USB ports” implies there is other stuff there besides mouse and keyboard.

I would tend to agree but everything was working fine the other thing different this morning i shut it off by the button hard shutdown and it started like 20 minutes later when i got back. I would agree if I was pulling wires or even having the case open for that matter lol. i'm just confused and tired and don't wanna deal with it when i have to work 😕 

Thanks for the help though man I do appreciate your time.

Just now, Perkaholic said:

I would tend to agree but everything was working fine the other thing different this morning i shut it off by the button hard shutdown and it started like 20 minutes later when i got back. I would agree if I was pulling wires or even having the case open for that matter lol. i'm just confused and tired and don't wanna deal with it when i have to work 😕 

Thanks for the help though man I do appreciate your time.

Things do work fine till they stop doing so.  It’s part of the whole concept of “broken”  it’s entirely possible that your peripherals are fine, but there is the ruling out.  You’ve got USB ports that are apparently filled but nothing is reporting back on them.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

lol your right 😛 all my peripherals work i tried them on a different system I am actually using them now. 2/6 USBs on the backIO 3.0 works for 3.0 but 2.0 wont work in 3.0 and two other ports aren't working but idk if they are 2.0 or normal usb for those I never really used those but they did work now they don't either

3.0 works for 3.0 but nothing else red worked i think its 2.0 i never really used them but now they don't work either the two plugs that are plugged in are the only two working ports the filled ports are working normal

Just plugged my hard drive docks into blue usb 3.0 spot works fine plug a mouse or keyboard or any 2.0 peri nothing. odd huh? 

They are all putting out power if i plug in my rbg mousepad in any of them it works thats why i thought it was software I wiped windows completely before making this post.

I hope it’s not hardware but it is pointing that way.  Especially the whole 2.0 not working anywhere but 3.0 working ok. Assuming I even have that right.  My memory is 1.1 is (in theory) white.  2.0 is supposed to be black, 3.0 is blue, 3.1 is teal, and 3.2 is red.  (Though of course 3.0 isn’t 3.0 anymore.  It’s “3.2 gen 1” My memory may be messed up on that one plus there have been companies not following the color system. 

5 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

I hope it’s not hardware but it is pointing that way.  Especially the whole 2.0 not working anywhere but 3.0 working ok. Assuming I even have that right.  My memory is 1.1 is (in theory) white.  2.0 is supposed to be black, 3.0 is blue, 3.1 is teal, and 3.2 is red.  (Though of course 3.0 isn’t 3.0 anymore.  It’s “3.2 gen 1” My memory may be messed up on that one plus there have been companies not following the color system. 

Wow good to know. I actually didn't even know that I wrote that down for ref thank you. That's what I am thinking too. Sorry for the rough typing last night, was running with very little sleep. Thank you for your time last night aswell. Cheers, Bombastinator 🙂

UPDATE: I tested the 3.0 drive that im having the issue with userbenchmark and this is how it preformed however if I plug any 2.0 device like mouse or keyboard i get that device descriptor request error

ERROR DRIVE.png

3 hours ago, Perkaholic said:

UPDATE: I tested the 3.0 drive that im having the issue with userbenchmark and this is how it preformed however if I plug any 2.0 device like mouse or keyboard i get that device descriptor request error

ERROR DRIVE.png

The 2.0 chip on your mobo may be dead.  I’m not sure how all that fits together.  If it is correct there’s a possibility you could make it go again with a 2.0 expansion card.

yup thats what its looking like i have a new board i just need to buy a 11th/12th gen intel cpu. I even replaced the psu today with a 1000W one because all these issues started when i was checking psu wires to make sure they were tight and plugged in

Thanks for all your help bomb. I'll leave it open just incase someone knows whats causing this but its looking like the board

I bought a Z590 Tuff board but i am going to have to deal with 2 usb ports for a few weeks until i can get a new processor

So if anyone has a solution for this feel free to tap in I should also mention I also did all the guides for uninstalling the usbs and all of those nothing. everything has been tested nothing loose nothing i can see wrong with board