New High Core Build for Gaming

Budget (including currency): $1,500 AUD (Read on for details)

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Beamng.Drive mainly. I do play other games but they are not all that CPU intensive. I would like to spawn a large number of AI vehicles and my i7 8700 isn't cutting it

Other details:

To preface: I already have a decent setup and am looking at upgrading MOST components. This is why I would classify this as a new build and not an upgrade. The only components I will be re-using are as follows:

GPU: MSI Gaming X RTX 3060 TI (LHR)

RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 Memory (CMW32GX4M2C3200C18)

SSD: 500GB Samsung 870 Evo

The new parts which I am considering are as follows:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16 Core AM4 4.9GHz ($799)

Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H100x ($125)

Motherboard: Asus TUF Gaming B550M Plus AM4 ($219)

Power Supply: Corsair 750W RM750x 2021 ($179)

I also have 3x Noctua Industrial PPC fans which I can use. I am also going to use my current case, the Fractal Design Define S2 mid tower

Notes:

I may be underestimating the power required for this build, my other concerns is that the cooler may be too large for my case, although its only a dual 240mm radiator. My only other concerns will be RAM compatibility between my existing RAM and the new motherboard/CPU. Any tips would be greatly appreciated! Lastly, I considered the Ryzen 9 5900X instead as it's about $200 cheaper and still has 12 Cores / 24 Threads although it's not in stock anywhere near me. Stock availability is another important consideration for me. My budget is $1,500 but recall I already have a GPU, case, SSD, RAM, and some cooling fans.

I would go with the Intel Core i9 over the 5950x. I have built with both CPUs, and the i9 is superior. You can also get ddr5 in the future.

i9 vs 5950x:

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i9-12900K-vs-AMD-Ryzen-9-5950X/4118vs4086

I have compiled a list on pcpartpicker for you:

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/2024jrb1/saved/DJxxgs

Note:

I am in the US, so I am not sure if prices are different. In my local Best Buy, there are multiple i9s in stock.

Have any questions? Please DM me!

Discord: Daggerhashimoto#0001

---

i9 12900k - RTX 3090 FE - Gigabyte z690 Aorus Master - 64GB Corsair DDR5 6200 - Corsair Crystal 680x RGB - Corsair h115i - Samsung Odyssey G7

Aorus 15p YD (3080) and Dell Precision 5560 (i9)

11 minutes ago, Frostbite4075 said:

I would like to spawn a large number of AI vehicles

Beam NG drive maxes out at about 12 threads

Meaning only 50% of a 24 thread cpu can be used. Generally when you see those Beam NG videos on youtube that show like 30 cars all driving at once they are render at half or quarter speed then sped back up in post. It gives the illusion of the game running perfectly smooth at full speed with lots of cars spawned in.

Even with my monster cpu I can only really render about 10 cars before the games starts lagging due to not supporting more threads

10 minutes ago, emosun said:

Beam NG drive maxes out at about 12 threads

Meaning only 50% of a 24 thread cpu can be used. Generally when you see those Beam NG videos on youtube that show like 30 cars all driving at once they are render at half or quarter speed then sped back up in post. It gives the illusion of the game running perfectly smooth at full speed with lots of cars spawned in.

Even with my monster cpu I can only really render about 10 cars before the games starts lagging due to not supporting more threads

Would an i7 12700KF be better if this is the case?

15 minutes ago, Daggerhashimoto said:

I would go with the Intel Core i9 over the 5950x. I have built with both CPUs, and the i9 is superior. You can also get ddr5 in the future.

i9 vs 5950x:

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i9-12900K-vs-AMD-Ryzen-9-5950X/4118vs4086

Note:

I am in the US, so I am not sure if prices are different. In my local Best Buy, there are multiple i9s in stock.

Thank you, Can I still use the Corsair Hydro H100x WITH the LGA 1700 retrofit kit?

6 minutes ago, Frostbite4075 said:

Would an i7 12700KF be better if this is the case?

ok apparently i stand corrected

It seems beam ng will use a single thread per vehicle. I spawned in 20 cars and now it uses 20 threads.

it still seems to chug a bit so whatever cpu had the fastest threads and the most threads would be what you'd want.

43 minutes ago, Daggerhashimoto said:

i9 vs 5950x:

Note:

The 12900K is pretty much a waste of money if the op is just gaming. It doesn't do anything that the 12700 doesn't do. Also comparing cpu's using userbenchmark is not useful at all.

If all you want is the most threads at as high a speed as possible (and you want more than 16 threads), then the 5950X will deliver 32 threads at a decent speed. Mine does 4.4GHz all core with good cooling and PBO enabled. 12700K is a better alternative if you can manage with 16 threads at an even higher clock.