downloads capped at 10MB/S

puppo

hello. I was wondering why all my downloads where capped at 10MB/S. Im using an ethernet cable and on Speedtest di Ookla (speedtest) i get 90Mbps in both download and upload. Is there a way i can remove the cap? my ethernet cable supports max 100MB/S and id like to use all of it

To download with 100MB/s you'd need a 1gigabit connection.

If you get 90Mbps that is 10MB/s.

Remember, megabits and megabytes are two different units. (There are 8 bits to 1 byte.) File sizes are expressed in megabytes, but Internet connections are advertised in megabits because big number mean more better in advertising-land.

10 MB (megabytes) per second is around 80 Mb (megabits) per second, so you're getting about what your Internet plan is provisioned. (The 10 megabytes/sec your download runs at plus some extra overhead.) If you want more speed, you need to pay for faster service from your provider.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

1 Megabit/s = 0.125 Megabytes/s

90 Mb * 0.125 MB = 11.25 MB

Take away 10% for overhead

11.25MB * 0.9 = 10.125 MB

So you should have a max Download speed of around 10.125 MBps.

8 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

Remember, megabits and megabytes are two different units. (There are 8 bits to 1 byte.) File sizes are expressed in megabytes, but Internet connections are advertised in megabits because big number mean more better in advertising-land.

I know that's a nice conspiracy theory, but networking has ALWAYS been expressed in bits.

What's more confusing are file sizes, as they often are technically Mebibytes but miss the i in MiB, GiB, etc.  Also the confusion that storage itself is usually Megabytes, Gigabytes, so the two values do not match up.  Then the formatting overhead too, so really large storage you end up a 12TB drive that only stores 10.84TiB of data.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

37 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

I know that's a nice conspiracy theory, but networking has ALWAYS been expressed in bits.

Of course, and it's so deeply entrenched it's never going to change.

But I just couldn't pass up an opportunity to write "bigger number mean more better"! When you get right down to it, isn't that what tech is all about?

I sold my soul for ProSupport.