Question about "Power OK" issue on MSI MPG-A750GF

Mayrice

Hi all, am planning to buy the MSI MPG-A750GF since it's the only one that's good in my locale.

The review on this unit from tom's hardware mentioned an issue with the "Power OK" signal.

Is this something significant to worry about, and can this cause potential damage in the future, or is it not a major concern?

Appreciate all the help  I can get!

nothing to worry about, its just less than 17 ms from awakening from the sleep..

Thanks for the input! Is that really all it is? It felt like the reviewer thought it was a really big deal.

2 hours ago, Eugene28 said:

nothing to worry about, its just less than 17 ms from awakening from the sleep..

You are thinking about the hold up time. The hold up time affects how long the PSU can last with the input power switched off. The hold up time is kinda low in this PSU, but that's not what OP was asking about.

The PWR OK signal is the power good signal. It's the signal the PSU outputs that says if it's power delivery is, well, good.

What Ari's tested in the review is the 'PWR_OK inactive to DC loss delay'. Intel requires atleast 1ms, whereas Aris measured -0.2ms, to which he calls the PWR OK signal "fake". What does this mean?

Imagine your computers running, and your AC power suddenly drops out. There is some power stored in your PSU caps (about 11ms worth), but eventually the PSU voltages will go out of spec and DC output will stop. The PWR OK should go inactive before the voltages go out of spec.

If there is no DC output, would you say the power is good or bad? Obviously is bad, but as the review measured -0.2ms on that PSU it means the PSU is saying no DC output is good (for 0.2ms).

For a fraction of a second, whatever is using the PSU sense wires (motherboard) thinks the power supply is feeding it good power when there actually isn't any power.

In the end, your computer components could be damaged whenever your AC suddenly drops out.

That is my understanding.

I see. That does seem troubling. I assume this issue can be mitigated with a UPS?

5 minutes ago, Mayrice said:

I see. That does seem troubling. I assume this issue can be mitigated with a UPS?

The UPS can keep your system on during some brownouts. It'd also give you time to shut down your computer safely.

I'm guessing it wouldn't be much of an issue unless your power drops out often. Also, try avoid flicking off the PSU / disconnecting from mains.

If you get a lot of brownouts then a UPS would be a good idea.

Thanks for the clarification.

Power outages aren't common where I live, but having to baby the PSU like that is making me rethink the hassle of getting something better, even if it takes longer.

Would getting the 650 watt variant be better(though it's still out of spec, but at least it's accurate)?

On 5/11/2022 at 10:08 PM, Mayrice said:

Hi all, am planning to buy the MSI MPG-A750GF since it's the only one that's good in my locale.

The review on this unit from tom's hardware mentioned an issue with the "Power OK" signal.

Is this something significant to worry about, and can this cause potential damage in the future, or is it not a major concern?

Appreciate all the help  I can get!

I doubt you'll have an issue.

On 5/12/2022 at 4:23 AM, Mayrice said:

Would getting the 650 watt variant be better(though it's still out of spec, but at least it's accurate)?

It would have the same result.  But it's not going to impact you.

If you're paranoid about the MSI brand, why are you so focused on it?  There's like a million other brands out there.

14 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

I doubt you'll have an issue.

It would have the same result.  But it's not going to impact you.

If you're paranoid about the MSI brand, why are you so focused on it?  There's like a million other brands out there.

Where I live, part choices are really limited and warranty is difficult to claim from online stores.

The MSI MPG series is the best available from a brick and mortar store, which are easier to get warranties from.