Dead GPU, May it RIP?

I bought a known dead GPU on the cheap in order to tinker and learn, but I am needing some insight into what I should do to attempt a fix. The card is an XFX RX 570 (photos added)

I chucked it into my test PC

ASUS X370 pro

Generic 4GB RAM x2 (Pentax I think, probably wrong on this)

AMD A10-8870E

EVGA 750 G+ PSU

The GPU in, 8 pin connected I get no fans, no GPU output, no GPU listed in device manager, DDU used, and still no RX 570 in device manager.  The iGPU is working and listed, the 570 has an LED light by the power connection that is blue when plugged in and red when the 8-pin power is removed while it’s sitting in the slot.

I disassembled the card, cleaned it, and tested the fuses, which were all good, there seemed to be continuity from the 8-pin 12v and PCI 12v pins, and none of the components on the PCB look to be fried or damaged.

I tried the plug it in and fire it up and feel the card for the warm components test, and there was no noticeable change in temperature on the die or other components that I could notice.

So I am at the end of my knowledge of what should I try next if there are any other steps, so if anyone has any ideas or knowledge to teach me I’d be greatly appreciative.

Thanks, Tim

280061431_665478964516899_7391533136802222742_n.jpg

279448059_806643736977207_206265460598445632_n.jpg

I'm better at fixing people than PC's... For now. 

Remember to quote or tag my posts if you want me to see your reply I don't always follow the threads.

Right now, your next troubleshooting step is to look at all the power rails on the card to see if there's one missing. Given what's happening, it sounds like there is a dead rail somewhere, so this card might actually be recoverable. 

In order to do this, get a PCIe riser, connect the card to a system and power it on. Put a small heatsink on the actual GPU core to keep it from overheating if vCore is present (the Ryzen stock heatsink works really well for this), then start stabbing different voltage controllers on the card to see if the voltages are there and are what you'd expect them to be (I.E. vCore isn't 40mV or something crazy low like that). 

1 hour ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Right now, your next troubleshooting step is to look at all the power rails on the card to see if there's one missing. Given what's happening, it sounds like there is a dead rail somewhere, so this card might actually be recoverable. 

In order to do this, get a PCIe riser, connect the card to a system and power it on. Put a small heatsink on the actual GPU core to keep it from overheating if vCore is present (the Ryzen stock heatsink works really well for this), then start stabbing different voltage controllers on the card to see if the voltages are there and are what you'd expect them to be (I.E. vCore isn't 40mV or something crazy low like that). 

Will try what you suggest, it’ll be a few days but I’ll post my findings. 
Thank you for the info! 
-Tim

Remember to quote or tag my posts if you want me to see your reply I don't always follow the threads.

• 2 weeks later...

IMG_8031R.thumb.JPG.6d8d752676fcc9693e0ca96a6e18263f.JPGIMG_8031v.thumb.JPG.bf36f891e93468db5f5eab50d8e34f3a.JPGSome photos of what I found so far as far as power and as far as resistance, there are no other obvious (to me) shorts. Looking to lean and figure it out, any help is appreciated!

Thanks

Edited by MedicTim78
No photos

Third photoIMG_8032V.thumb.JPG.d75c7207c9a54afb0fcb0b9d9081df4d.JPG

So anyone still following this, I found some wonky output voltages on the PWM chip, the 8 pin on the right side of pic2. had 12v in and 9.5 and 8v out, figured that was the issue, spare parts ordered and on the way from China. 

Either way, I might be fumbling about a bit but I am excited to learn a bit, maybe if i get good I'll make it my side gig! LOL

Edited by MedicTim78
Add text