Gamming With Remote Desktop Connection

Go to solution Solved by Alex Atkin UK,
1 hour ago, Dukes1995 said:

Really? I would think that there would be someway of doing it because to get enough bandwidth just to run a graphics card to the motherboard you need about 40GBPS so get all of the performance out of the card. Much like how UFD tech did to put a graphics card on the steam deck he couldn't quite get the bandwidth but like whispous said what about the latency? Which begs the question why can't you do what you can on Remote Desktop Connection with the latency of steam in home streaming?

Why can't you drill a brick wall with a screwdriver?  Light an entire room with a single LED?

Sure the action is still the same, but its not designed to do that and as such is far too inefficient to do so effectively.

RDP is designed to be really responsive for running applications where only bits of the screen need to be refreshed, that inherently is less efficient when you need to refresh the WHOLE screen as its using compression designed to be fast for updating small parts of the screen at a time.  Full screen streaming solutions use standard hardware accelerated codecs to send the WHOLE screen as a video stream, which in turn are less efficient and higher latency if all you need to do is change a small section of the screen.  They''re designed for completely different scenarios.

VNC even has multiple encoding/updating methods to try to deal with mixed scenarios, but AFAIK its not automatic, you choose which one is best for your use-case and none the last I tried was any good for refreshing large parts of the screen.  I sometimes preview videos over VNC, it starts to drop frames if the Window is bigger than about 720p as its trying to maintain low latency rather than frame consistency.

So I've been setting up a new network in my house and started dabbling into Remote Desktop Connections. Just for fun I decided to start up a game on the computer that I was remoting too (Doom Eternals) and it was super laggy is there any way that I could make it faster? (Via: 1000000000GB ethernet cards and networking cables and or Routers with EPYC CPU(s) just what would it take to game on a computer in the other room with a RDC or something similar?)

5 minutes ago, Dukes1995 said:

So I've been setting up a new network in my house and started dabbling into Remote Desktop Connections. Just for fun I decided to start up a game on the computer that I was remoting too (Doom Eternals) and it was super laggy is there any way that I could make it faster? (Via: 1000000000GB ethernet cards and networking cables and or Routers with EPYC CPU(s) just what would it take to game on a computer in the other room with a RDC or something similar?)

After a certain point it's not about network bandwidth, it's about latency. Doing RDP over even a one hundred gigabit connection over your network will not solve the extra, noticable milliseconds.

I don't know what protocol I'm using I just installed windows pro and ran Remote Desktop Connection. How can I drop the latency install all fiber cables throughout the house? Is it even possible to get a butter smooth Remote Desktop Connection? By the way worth noting the ethernet in the house is CAT 6a and MOST of the network is running on 2.5Gbs ethernet ports 

15 minutes ago, Dukes1995 said:

I don't know what protocol I'm using I just installed windows pro and ran Remote Desktop Connection. How can I drop the latency install all fiber cables throughout the house? Is it even possible to get a butter smooth Remote Desktop Connection? By the way worth noting the ethernet in the house is CAT 6a and MOST of the network is running on 2.5Gbs ethernet ports 

Remote desktop isn't designed for it, its why things like Steam in-home streaming exists.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

12 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Remote desktop isn't designed for it, its why things like Steam in-home streaming exists.

I'm aware that its not designed for it but, just for the fun of pushing the envelope what could you do to set up a network that could do it to the best level it possibly could? A lot of growth comes from trying to get things to do weird stuff. 

11 minutes ago, Dukes1995 said:

I'm aware that its not designed for it but, just for the fun of pushing the envelope what could you do to set up a network that could do it to the best level it possibly could? A lot of growth comes from trying to get things to do weird stuff. 

There's not really anything you can optimise that I'm aware of, that's kinda the point.  Its intended for where only bits of the screen need to update rather than gaming where the whole screen is constantly changing.

I gave up on RDP years ago in favour of VNC and NoMachine.  But I strictly used Steam for gaming as I've found it the most reliable.

WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)

10 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

There's not really anything you can optimize that I'm aware of, that's kinda the point.  Its intended for where only bits of the screen need to update rather than gaming where the whole screen is constantly changing.

Really? I would think that there would be someway of doing it because to get enough bandwidth just to run a graphics card to the motherboard you need about 40GBPS so get all of the performance out of the card. Much like how UFD tech did to put a graphics card on the steam deck he couldn't quite get the bandwidth but like whispous said what about the latency? Which begs the question why can't you do what you can on Remote Desktop Connection with the latency of steam in home streaming?

Bit off topic but I wanna thank everyone for coming here to let me pick your brain a bit for my stupid questions of what if and I wonder random thoughts going through my head. Really giving me the opportunity to expand my knowledge of what the limits of current technology is. 

1 hour ago, Dukes1995 said:

Why can't you drill a brick wall with a screwdriver?  Light an entire room with a single LED?

Sure the action is still the same, but its not designed to do that and as such is far too inefficient to do so effectively.

RDP is designed to be really responsive for running applications where only bits of the screen need to be refreshed, that inherently is less efficient when you need to refresh the WHOLE screen as its using compression designed to be fast for updating small parts of the screen at a time.  Full screen streaming solutions use standard hardware accelerated codecs to send the WHOLE screen as a video stream, which in turn are less efficient and higher latency if all you need to do is change a small section of the screen.  They''re designed for completely different scenarios.

VNC even has multiple encoding/updating methods to try to deal with mixed scenarios, but AFAIK its not automatic, you choose which one is best for your use-case and none the last I tried was any good for refreshing large parts of the screen.  I sometimes preview videos over VNC, it starts to drop frames if the Window is bigger than about 720p as its trying to maintain low latency rather than frame consistency.