RMx 550 + RTX 3070

feraciouz
Go to solution Solved by RONOTHAN##,
12 minutes ago, feraciouz said:

I heard that the cable only provides max of 150 W is it true?

Nope. The connector on the GPU end is only rated at 150W, the cable (technically speaking) can handle ~550W. It's just that it's better if you don't get close to that figure. 

The power connector situation is not why I'd be concerned about running a 3070 on that PSU. The 3070 draws about ~250W on average, but 30 series cards tend to spike quite a bit, with some spikes reaching the neighborhood of 400W which can trigger OCP on the PSU. 550W is basically as low as you can go while having a shot at the card running.

It wouldn't hurt to try the PSU and see if it's OK, that PSU is good enough that the protections should save you if it's not enough, but If you do trigger a protection and the system shuts off mid game, Swap the PSU. 

Hello All,

Recently i've been gifted an RTX 3070 (MSI Gaming X Trio) by one of my friend and before i put it on my PC, i'm wondering if my Corsair RMX550 can handle it. It needs 2x8 power pin and even though my PSU has the connector, it is daisy chained and only have one port 1x8 on the psu side.

I heard that the cable only provides max of 150 W is it true? If it is true then when combined with 75 W from pcie it only have a total of 225 W. The card has a total of about 240-ish W on load, is it goin to power up or should i buy a new PSU?

Sorry if my english is bad 

Really appreciate u guys answer. Thanks!

12 minutes ago, feraciouz said:

I heard that the cable only provides max of 150 W is it true?

Nope. The connector on the GPU end is only rated at 150W, the cable (technically speaking) can handle ~550W. It's just that it's better if you don't get close to that figure. 

The power connector situation is not why I'd be concerned about running a 3070 on that PSU. The 3070 draws about ~250W on average, but 30 series cards tend to spike quite a bit, with some spikes reaching the neighborhood of 400W which can trigger OCP on the PSU. 550W is basically as low as you can go while having a shot at the card running.

It wouldn't hurt to try the PSU and see if it's OK, that PSU is good enough that the protections should save you if it's not enough, but If you do trigger a protection and the system shuts off mid game, Swap the PSU. 

What other specs?

Can't hurt to try. Might also try some undervolting which should reduce power draw.

41 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Thank you so much for the explanation, ill try to get the card running and see if its okay 

6 minutes ago, Pixelfie said:

What other specs?

Can't hurt to try. Might also try some undervolting which should reduce power draw.

I'm using 

- Ryzen 5 5600x

- B550 Tomahawk

- 250gb ssd for OS and 1tb ssd for game library

- 2tb hdd + 1tb hdd

- 4 case fans

Yes, maybe i will try to undervolt it. I just confused about the pcie cable situation that powering up the GPU 

8 minutes ago, feraciouz said:

I'm using 

- Ryzen 5 5600x

- B550 Tomahawk

- 250gb ssd for OS and 1tb ssd for game library

- 2tb hdd + 1tb hdd

- 4 case fans

Yes, maybe i will try to undervolt it. I just confused about the pcie cable situation that powering up the GPU 

Yeah that will be really close so just see if it will work or not.

The 1 cable shouldn't be an issue, otherwise they wouldn't make it this way, but having 2 cables is always recommend if possible

1 minute ago, Pixelfie said:

Yeah that will be really close so just see if it will work or not.

The 1 cable shouldn't be an issue, otherwise they wouldn't make it this way, but having 2 cables is always recommend if possible

Okay then, thanks for the information !