GPU overheating instantly while gaming and causing the CPU to heat aswell ( Laptop )

Sumolizer

So i started having thermal issues with CPU ( GPU was fine, No problems with it until i replaced the thermal pads with 0.5mm Thermal Right Odyssey )  since i bought the laptop. Did a lot of things to try fix it, Used every good paste , changed thermal pads. Nothing worked. Yesterday , i modded the bios to unlock undervolting ( It was locked due to plundervolt , i7-19750H ). Now the CPU performs way better and good in stress tests. Reaching 90C at 45W when it used to reach 100 at 27W. Designed TDP is 45W.

Now since the cooler is shared, and GPU overheats as soon as i launch a game ( Throttles at 84C and causes CPU to reach 90 way sooner ) It started in january when i replaced the Dell thermal pads, Since that i have done everything but nothing has worked. Now the CPU is fine but the GPU is fricking up. And I have noticed fans doesnt go up too.

Room temprature is nearly 38C tho pretty hot ik. So anything i can do to ramp up the fans >? or to cool the GPU. Before the thermal pads replacement it never crossed 80C.

GPU is 1650ti 4 gigs GDDR6. 50W is max tdp but it throttles to 30w and drops clock to 1300 MHZ from 1850 MHZ.

Undervolt? 

32 minutes ago, Sumolizer said:

( GPU was fine, No problems with it until i replaced the thermal pads with 0.5mm Thermal Right Odyssey )

You may need thinner thermal pads, or maybe even thicker ones. Can you see the thermal pads from the side while the cooler is installed on the motherboard (to check if there is a gap or if things are too squished)? Did you replace the thermal paste?

25 minutes ago, Sumolizer said:

Designed TDP is 45W.

By Dell, or by Intel? Intel's TDP range is usually not very relevant to laptops, OEMs will change power targets as needed depending on their cooling solutions. You didn't seem to state which laptop you have, but it seems like Dell meant for that CPU to run the lower power target in order to not overwhelm the cooler when the GPU is under load. CPU was running almost 30W and the GPU 50, you have the CPU doing almost 50 so the GPU has to throttle back to 30. Seems like the cooling solution can only dissipate ~80W of heat. 

If it's at all similar to my mid-2015 MacBook Pro, new thermal pads/paste won't really help because the limiting factor is the tiny finstacks. The cooling setup is able to pull heat out if the CPU and GPU just fine even with stock paste, it just doesn't have the finstack surface area to shed that heat. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

4 minutes ago, Zando_ said:

new thermal pads/paste won't really help

Worse, I think they actually cause some of the issues.

"GPU was fine, No problems with it until i replaced the thermal pads with 0.5mm Thermal Right Odyssey"

So not only is it incapable of keeping those specs cool, the cooler also is not resting correctly anymore.

4 minutes ago, DANK_AS_gay said:

"GPU was fine, No problems with it until i replaced the thermal pads with 0.5mm Thermal Right Odyssey"

So not only is it incapable of keeping those specs cool, the cooler also is not resting correctly anymore.

Yeah, if those aren't the exact same thickness as the OEM pads, it'll be horrid. I mucked up my 2060 Super FE cooler by failing to measure the pads when I removed it, I couldn't figure out which ones I needed so I just guessed. Cooler didn't make contact correctly, meaning the card couldn't stay below throttle temps so I moved to a waterblock (Corsair saved my ass by making a nice cheap one for the FE models). 

It's probably a combination of contact/pressure being messed up + asking the thermal solution to dump more heat than it was designed to. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

17 hours ago, DANK_AS_gay said:

You may need thinner thermal pads, or maybe even thicker ones. Can you see the thermal pads from the side while the cooler is installed on the motherboard (to check if there is a gap or if things are too squished)? Did you replace the thermal paste?

Have repasted like 20 times. Actually i think too more thinner thermal pads are needed but i have the most thin ones that are avaialble here ( 0.5mm ) i cannot find 0.3mm here. BTW i once for experiment tried no thermal pads on gpu vrams to see if its the thickness that is causing a cap but it still overheated. From the two vrams that are visible, they look kinda squished i mean in good contact of heat spreader

17 hours ago, Zando_ said:

By Dell, or by Intel? Intel's TDP range is usually not very relevant to laptops, OEMs will change power targets as needed depending on their cooling solutions. You didn't seem to state which laptop you have, but it seems like Dell meant for that CPU to run the lower power target in order to not overwhelm the cooler when the GPU is under load. CPU was running almost 30W and the GPU 50, you have the CPU doing almost 50 so the GPU has to throttle back to 30. Seems like the cooling solution can only dissipate ~80W of heat. 

If it's at all similar to my mid-2015 MacBook Pro, new thermal pads/paste won't really help because the limiting factor is the tiny finstacks. The cooling setup is able to pull heat out if the CPU and GPU just fine even with stock paste, it just doesn't have the finstack surface area to shed that heat. 

Vostro 15 7500 ( it is famous for being slim and bad thermal performance but the thing is that GPU used to work fine before )

17 hours ago, DANK_AS_gay said:

Dell one's looked slimmer than 0.5mm tho so ig thats it then but i cant find any 0.3mm pads here. Only thing close to that is  Thermal Grizzly Carboanaut that i think is designed for CPU's IIRC

Just now, Sumolizer said:

Have repasted like 20 times. Actually i think too more thinner thermal pads are needed but i have the most thin ones that are avaialble here ( 0.5mm ) i cannot find 0.3mm here. BTW i once for experiment tried no thermal pads on gpu vrams to see if its the thickness that is causing a cap but it still overheated. From the two vrams that are visible, they look kinda squished i mean in good contact of heat spreader

Then it is likely just that you increased the heat output of your laptop, and now it cannot keep up. Try lifting it off of the table, to get as much fresh air as possible. You can also use an external fan, it won't do a ton, but there could be a small improvement. Depending on what laptop you have, you could put a thermal pad between the cooler and the case, and use the case as a heatsink (works better if it is metal).

3 minutes ago, Sumolizer said:

Dell one's looked slimmer than 0.5mm tho so ig thats it then but i cant find any 0.3mm pads here. Only thing close to that is  Thermal Grizzly Carboanaut that i think is designed for CPU's IIRC

Maybe try this stuff.

Also, with what thermal paste? 

4 hours ago, DANK_AS_gay said:

Maybe try this stuff.

Also, with what thermal paste? 

Grizzly and MX4 but MX4 was probably fake. I also used Cooler Master Mastergel regular.

I have noticed that fans doesnt run as fast as they used to. barely audible even under extreme load. And i ve tried undervolting both things.