ISP Speeds are high, Computer receives way under half. I do have a theory.

SkyTheTechie

Hiya friends! So I switched my ISP to a new service here in Vegas (Nevada) called Welink, that way me and my family can have Fiber, however their fiber wasnt Fiber Lines, it's Wireless Fiber with radios on your roof. Safe to say it works pretty well! Do have to say, we did switch to this from Cox. And its just whole lot better. They also gave us free Eero routers from Amazon and hooked them up for us.

In the Eero app, we did a speed test directly from the ISP or to the modem, wherever it goes, it gets around 600 / 700 download, with around 600 / 700 upload.

However, my computer only gets around 200? But during the day doing another speed test from the app, its sitting at 200 down, 600 up? The only time the download goes straight up is when my PC is off.  

I am a Streamer and a heavy gamer, but I didnt realize my PC bandwith is taking up almost our whole internet speeds..

Would you guys have any tips and tricks to fix the heavy bandwith?

**NOTE:** I barely download anything, but I do stream at around 4500 Bitrate for about 3-4 hours.

EDIT: Eero's support 1 Gig. || The mobo is a MSI B550 Tomahawk, with 2 Ethernet ports I am using Ethernet as well. (1 1 Gig, then a 2.5Gig)

What is the max supported speeds of the routers? Are you using Ethernet or wifi?

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

1 minute ago, Stormseeker9 said:

What is the max supported speeds of the routers? Are you using Ethernet or wifi?

The Eero's support a gig, and I am using Ethernet.

Just now, SkyTheTechie said:

The Eero's support a gig, and I am using Ethernet.

Okay than that is not at fault! 

was just the first thing that came to mind. What about the Ethernet port on your mobo?

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

Just now, Stormseeker9 said:

Okay than that is not at fault! 

was just the first thing that came to mind. What about the Ethernet port on your mobo?

Yeah, no worries! 

I should've probably put more information about the Mobo Spec, 

It has 2 Ethernet, ports, 1 1 Gig, last one is a 2.5Gig.

Clarify the topology for me. There is the main Eero unit somewhere that is wired to whatever is on your roof/the modem, correct? That main unit, you are wired with Ethernet directly to it? I read the whole thread and I still feel like there is a wireless leg somewhere that we're missing. You're not wired to one of the satellite's, correct? 

I ask people who I interview at work to do this. Describe for me every device, cable or wireless link from where the internet enters the home to how it gets to their PC.

8 hours ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

Clarify the topology for me. There is the main Eero unit somewhere that is wired to whatever is on your roof/the modem, correct? That main unit, you are wired with Ethernet directly to it? I read the whole thread and I still feel like there is a wireless leg somewhere that we're missing. You're not wired to one of the satellite's, correct? 

I ask people who I interview at work to do this. Describe for me every device, cable or wireless link from where the internet enters the home to how it gets to their PC.

Okay.

So the modem is technically on the roof you can say with a giant cable running directly into your house with one main Eero connected via Ethernet to that modem. This Eero is stored in a closet. 

Like a mesh system, the main Eero sends out internet to the others.

Then you have 2 other Eero’s placed wirelessly, in a upstairs bedroom and mine which is on the bottom floor.

My Eero is connected to my PC which simulates Ethernet . (Not sure if Simulates is the right word) 

My house as well doesn’t have Cat5 or any Ethernet in the walls, and we sadly can’t afford the money to put 10 Cat5 or 6 in. If we did for sure would’ve bought a switch, and my issue would be fixed.

4 minutes ago, SkyTheTechie said:

Okay.

So the modem is technically on the roof you can say with a giant cable running directly into your house with one main Eero connected via Ethernet to that modem. This Eero is stored in a closet. 

Like a mesh system, the main Eero sends out internet to the others.

Then you have 2 other Eero’s placed wirelessly, in a upstairs bedroom and mine which is on the bottom floor.

My Eero is connected to my PC which simulates Ethernet . (Not sure if Simulates is the right word) 

My house as well doesn’t have Cat5 or any Ethernet in the walls, and we sadly can’t afford the money to put 10 Cat5 or 6 in. If we did for sure would’ve bought a switch, and my issue would be fixed.

That was the critical missing detail. You’re using Ethernet to the Eero but there is still a Wi-Fi signal to the main Eero unit at play. That is the bottleneck. 

13 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

That was the critical missing detail. You’re using Ethernet to the Eero but there is still a Wi-Fi signal to the main Eero unit at play. That is the bottleneck. 

Hmm okay.. And I’m guessing that there isn’t any way to get rid of this bottleneck without putting Cat5 in the walls?? 

What about the PC taking up so much bandwidth. Because in the app there is also an activity and my PC downloads 549GB in a week?? But I don’t download anything..

EDIT: There is Phone ports however in every room.

1 hour ago, SkyTheTechie said:

What about the PC taking up so much bandwidth. Because in the app there is also an activity and my PC downloads 549GB in a week?? But I don’t download anything..

There's something consuming the bandwidth in the background. If you have programs running in the background like BitTorrent or game managers, these can cause the problem.

If you don't knowingly use any programs that do this, I'd be quite concerned about malware.

48 minutes ago, Falcon1986 said:

There's something consuming the bandwidth in the background. If you have programs running in the background like BitTorrent or game managers, these can cause the problem.

If you don't knowingly use any programs that do this, I'd be quite concerned about malware.

No I don’t use BitTorrent, just have steam and the Xbox app for games.

Also don’t have any malware either. I always check with my Malwarebytes nothing gets reported.

6 hours ago, SkyTheTechie said:

No I don’t use BitTorrent, just have steam and the Xbox app for games.

Also don’t have any malware either. I always check with my Malwarebytes nothing gets reported.

Steam will update any games you have installed as needed in the background, though that does seem an awful lot for a week.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7