My manual overclocking results with Ryzen 5900X - Finally I think I won silicon lottery!!

All cores set to 4.6GHz with SMT off.

PBO, Dynamic OC, and turbo boost all disabled in BIOS for pure static all 12 core frequency the same which is how I like it.

VCore 1.25 with L4 LLC on Asus Dark Hero motherboard. It has highest L5 LLC and lowest is 1 so on 2nd highest

Passes OCCT standard tests with flying colors and no errors nor WHEA

Passes Prime95 tests including Blend and Small FFT portion though temps get warm. Ran it for like 20 minutes. Opened windows to cool off house with 40-50F weather just for stress testing to prevent temps from exceeding the mid 80s as AVX enabled Small FFTs of any sort are very hard and generate so much heat, but wanted to ensure stability if temps could stay within spec and stability was great with no errors

Passes Prime95 other tests for over 1 hour like Large FFTs and Small FFTs AVX disabled to keep temps in check peaking in high 70s to low 80s

Passed Y Cruncher a couple of times and during the 2nd floating or integer (I forget which) and did same thing opening window to make house colder inside to keep temps in check for intense heat load. Temps peaked mid 80s and would have hit 90+ if I did not open my windows to cool house down

And lastly passed 5 runs of LinPack XTREME 1.1.5. Never thought it could do that, but so happy it did. I also had it cooled off in house and temps only peaked at 80C unlike with Y Cruncher and Prme95 where they wanted to get hotter during certain small FFT AVX parts.

I had even run Project Hydra diagnostics for a few hours before and it seemed to show my chip was good as it gave gold sample to CCD1 and Silver to CCD2 and it passed on lower vcores at 4.6 or 4.5GHz with SMT on and everything stock.

So I had high hopes and it looks good passing these tough tests that many say do not bother with and at 4.6GHz all 12 cores no less.

I wonder have recent AMD Ryzen 5000 CPUs binning improved. Or did I win silicon lottery? Or both? Or maybe the fact AMD now has a lesser AMD Ryzen 5700X and Ryzen 5600 non X, I wonder if many samples that are weaker and could make the binning cut for 5600X and 5800X, but had to be crimped to make room for the new lower end CPUs mentioned above means better quality silicon has made its way into 5600X and thus 2 higher binned 5600X chiplets going into 5900Xs and likewise 2 higher binned 5800X chiplets into 5950X??

I am pretty happy given I have heard many say these chips do not have much manual overclocking headroom and some say only 15-20% at best from base 3.7GHz frequency. And I am at 4.6GHz and passed roughest LinPack XTREME and Prime95 tests. Seems silicon lottery a lot more variance with Ryzen than Intel chips as the 15-20% at most headroom may be on a lot of chips but not all. Maybe my chip could do 4.7GHz or even 4.8GHz and be stable for every day use and gaming and even some tough tasks, but would doubtful pass the tough golden stability standard tests??

Cause I have heard all cores 4.6 to 4.8GHz is common on 5900X CPUs all core, but probably mostly stable and not truly stable as they would crash the tough tests but pass simple real world work loads like Cinebench and Blender and Large FFTs, though 4.6GHz all test I tried including toughest torture ones.

And no WHEA errors through all of this. And last but not least passed Memtest with Samsung B-Die G.Skill Ripjaws CL 14-15-15-35 timings 32GB 3600MHz RAM FCLK 1800MHz

Had a different 5900X in the past that seemed stable 4575MHz and passed non-AVX stress test small FFTs with temps  in mid 80s, but would crash immediately in Linpack XTREME 1.1.5 and any AVX Small FFTs.

So do you think I won silicon lottery with this one?

Your thoughts

eeeeh, my PBO boosted 5900x does higher. I get 4.65 all core when running Cinebench and mid 80s for temps. Single threaded I routinely get 5ghz or higher according to hwinfo64. You're gimping single threaded performance by manually overclocking the CPU when it can do at or greater than 4.6 all core under PBO load. 

image.png.aa2fc4d64e2eba4e16ab4eb0decd424f.png

image.png.be006c890d0939cea71dce8bb88965ad.png

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

1 minute ago, Skiiwee29 said:

eeeeh, my PBO boosted 5900x does higher. I get 4.65 all core when running Cinebench and mid 80s for temps. Single threaded I rutinely get 5ghz or higher according to hwinfo64. You're gimping single threaded performance by manually overclocking the CPU when it can do at or greater than 4.6 all core under PBO load. 

I am ok with that. I do not like liquid cooling or gimicks like PBO and love the low vcore and 4.6GHz is super fast enough for anything. Why has it been said AMD CPUs do not overclock well if I get these results. What VCORE do you have and are you air or liquid cooling?

I have Noctua NH-D15S cooler.

1 minute ago, Wolverine2349 said:

I am ok with that. I do not like liquid cooling or gimicks like PBO and love the low vcore and 4.6GHz is super fast enough for anything. Why has it been said AMD CPUs do not overclock well if I get these results. What VCORE do you have and are you air or liquid cooling?

I have Noctua NH-D15S cooler.

I have an NH-D15 on my 5900X. The reason its recommended to NOT overclock and just use PBO is because of single core performance. 

EDIT: PBO is not a gimmick if it works. You likely need to tweak it correctly. Use this video for reference. Its how I did mine and it works flawlessly and gives an extra 2-300 mhz all core under load and allows for 5ghz+ single core.

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

1 minute ago, Skiiwee29 said:

I have an NH-D15 on my 5900X. The reason its recommended to NOT overclock and just use PBO is because of single core performance. 

Is that really only reason because a single core could boost higher. Is the whole talk of Ryzen 5900X and other Zen 3 parts have little manual overclocking headroom from standard base speed of 3.7GHz and can only max out 15% or 20% higher manually just FUD and in reality those chips that do that are duds and most use PBO so would not know anyways??

Just now, Wolverine2349 said:

Is that really only reason because a single core could boost higher. Is the whole talk of Ryzen 5900X and other Zen 3 parts have little manual overclocking headroom from standard base speed of 3.7GHz and can only max out 15% or 20% higher manually just FUD and in reality those chips that do that are duds and most use PBO so would not know anyways??

It is, yes. Normally you can't even get all core manually to compete with PBO all core when its tweaked/tuned properly with a few hours of testing and tuning. 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

6 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

It is, yes. Normally you can't even get all core manually to compete with PBO all core when its tweaked/tuned properly with a few hours of testing and tuning. 

Do you think part of the FUD that Zen 3 does not overlock well at all even manually is because Zen 2 did not where as Zen 3 is much better though still no as good as Intel especially manually unless you use PBO.

12 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

Mty 5900X does 4500/4600MHz all cores with PBO and some CO + EDC/TDC/EDC tweaking, and 4900-4950Mhz 1-core when needed on the best cores, so it does go FAR above the base 3700MHz ... And just locking all cores at 4.6GHz just deprives you of better low core count performance !

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

1 minute ago, PDifolco said:

Mty 5900X does 4500/4600MHz all cores with PBO and some CO + EDC/TDC/EDC tweaking, and 4900-4950Mhz 1-core when needed on the best cores, so it does go FAR above the base 3700MHz ...

Where do you think FUD came form that AMD Ryzen CPUs do not overclock well manually? Or is it so dependent on silicon quality and it varies all over the place especially manually where with PBO it is more likely to get higher even with dud silicon.

Cause manual seems great for what I got compared to results I here. I hear many say they overclock it to 4.6 4.7GHz manually and seems stable, but doubt they would pass LinPack XTREME 1.1.5 like I just did and my prior 5900X could not on higher vcore and 25MH lower clock manually.

36 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

You're gimping single threaded performance by manually overclocking the CPU when it can do at or greater than 4.6 all core under PBO load.

OP has DOC enabled on their Dark Hero. They aren't gimping single core performance at all.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

8 minutes ago, DildorTheDecent said:

OP has DOC enabled on their Dark Hero. They aren't gimping single core performance at all.

I think Dynamic OC is DOC. It is actually disabled. Like all cores 4.6GHz all the time. No Process Lasoo. No application processes going to slower cores. They are all the same and just use basic WIN10 21H2 scheduler without extra software or bloat like Ryzen Master or Process Lsao.

Just now, Wolverine2349 said:

I think Dynamic OC is DOC. It is actually disabled. Like all cores 4.6GHz all the time. No Process Lasoo. No CPUs going to slower cores. They are all the same.

You should use it. It's an exclusive feature to the Dark Hero. As in, it's the only AM4 board that allows you to run an all core OC alongside the regular boost function.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

3 hours ago, Skiiwee29 said:

eeeeh, my PBO boosted 5900x does higher. I get 4.65 all core when running Cinebench and mid 80s for temps. Single threaded I routinely get 5ghz or higher according to hwinfo64. You're gimping single threaded performance by manually overclocking the CPU when it can do at or greater than 4.6 all core under PBO load. 

On Cinebench my CPU only gets low 70s max and usually in 60s Cinebench at 4.6GHz all core manual overclock with 1,25VCore with Noctua NH-D15S with 2 140mm fans at 1000 RPM in Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2 case with 3 intake 140mm Silent Wings 3 1000 RPM fans and 1 exhaust 1000 RPM Silent Wings 3 fan.

2 hours ago, DildorTheDecent said:

You should use it. It's an exclusive feature to the Dark Hero. As in, it's the only AM4 board that allows you to run an all core OC alongside the regular boost function.

I think they ported the ability to use it on a couple other boards. I got this board primarily for Asus build quality and it being only Asus X570 board with no chipset fan in stock locally. I also heavily considered B550-E and XE, but I would have had to order than upon further thinking wanted X570 chipset so I can have multiple Gen 4 M.2 sots in future if need be plus faster communication to CPU as it is Gen 4 and not Gen 3. And I wanted Asus build quality and BIOS and generally implementation which is superior to other board manufacturers even though you pay a premium for it.

• 1 year later...

Not sure how I did it but while OC I managed to get boost hitting 5.150 stable on multiple cores with 60° on a fan cooler with 7.8K in cpuz on 12 cores no SMT lol. Started tweaking other things and broke something had to reset bios. Didn't save anywhere how I did it.