AMD FX/990FX How to Overclock my NB/HT to match the 2400MHz Ram?

Go to solution Solved by GozenUnknown,

from what i understood so far:

CPU NB Voltage is Memory Controller Voltage

NB Needs to be same or more than Ram speed(example 2400MT/s ram should have 2400MHz NB or more)

HT-Link Should be same as NB from what i understand

I Didn't lower HT-Link speed because from what i understand, it could effect gpu performance if you lower it, that's why i just overclocked NB to HT-Link speed.

so Rule 1, NB should be same or more than Ram MT/s.

Rule 2 HT-Link should have the same speed as NB.

as for CPU NB Voltage 1.4v is the max voltage.

I DON'T UNDERSTAND HOW THE NB WORKS! 

I Put 2400mhz Ram on My System and when i put the XMP on, it changed to those settings 2400mhz CL10-12-12-31, DDR Voltage 1.65v and HT-Link 2400mhz.

However my motherboard changed my NB to 2400mhz and CPU/NB voltage from 1.2v to 1.4v automatically. Why? 

When i Run my system to see with HWinfo64 the CPU/NB Voltage, at load it was 1.47V... is this safe?

The other thing is DRAM:FSB Ratio is 36:6, what is the perfect Ratio for AMD FX? and How can i change the FSB Ratio?

I Want to know the absolute safe CPU/NB Voltage and NB Temp, because i don't want it to degrade.

And if someone can explain to me how the RAM->Memory Controller->HT-Link->NB are interacting with each other. 

For Example: AMD FX has a Memory Controller that handles the RAM and then there is HT-Link that connects the CPU with the 990FX NB and the NB handles the GPU and other staff, so when the NB is Running at 2400Mhz does the Memory controller run at 2400Mhz aswell? or the Memory controller Speed is sync with the HT-Link?

Theoretically the Memory Controller Speed is the FSB that i need to Tweak to try to make the DRAM:FSB Ratio to be perfect

I Want to know how i can Tweak My System Right for the 2400mhz Ram...

Here is my system

Mobo: 990FX Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z (Stock NB 2200mhz, HT-Link 2200mhz)

CPU : AMD FX-8350 4.5Ghz 1.4v(1.344v on load), LLC Medium, 130% Power, VRM Phase Standard(Prime95 Blend all Passed).

CPU : Cooler: Zalman CNPS20X

RAM : G.Skill Tridant X 2400MHz CL10-12-12-31 CR2 1.65V(Memtest86 passed).

My Voltage seems right

Voltage.PNG.4e03a6623a61ac78bc44fe0db9aabb83.PNG

AND Here is AIDA64 CPUID

CPUID1.png.50c7aa46fc4054c3e0986851fb9e28fd.png

CPU-Z says FSB:DRAM Ratio 1:6

asdsadzxczxczzxczxcz.PNG.eb9bfd99c636b0e9b54b2f823603ead0.PNG

• 1 year later...

from what i understood so far:

CPU NB Voltage is Memory Controller Voltage

NB Needs to be same or more than Ram speed(example 2400MT/s ram should have 2400MHz NB or more)

HT-Link Should be same as NB from what i understand

I Didn't lower HT-Link speed because from what i understand, it could effect gpu performance if you lower it, that's why i just overclocked NB to HT-Link speed.

so Rule 1, NB should be same or more than Ram MT/s.

Rule 2 HT-Link should have the same speed as NB.

as for CPU NB Voltage 1.4v is the max voltage.