Witcher 3 Spontaneously Uninstalled from my Laptop, so I'm buying a new PC

Nohemi
Go to solution Solved by Middcore,
20 minutes ago, innoBius said:

Atm drivers and support.   Amd drivers have been a bit wonky. . 

Is this based on any actual personal experience of yours or just repeating a "lol AMD drivers" meme? If you've had recent AMD cards and had problems I don't begrudge you your personal preferences (although somebody out there has a horror story for every tech brand) but there is a lot of shit talked about AMD cards from people who haven't actually had one in multiple generations, and if we're going by secondhand experiences, well, there are way more troubleshooting posts on this forum from people with Nvidia cards than AMD. 

The 6600 and 3060 are really closely matched in performance and the 6600 is usually available for less. For the prices 3060's are going for, you can get a 6600 XT, which clearly beats both of them. Unless OP wants to make use of NVENC or puts a lot of stock in DLSS (ray tracing won't be a great experience with either card so I don't even think it's worth taking into consideration) I really have a hard time recommending the 3060.

Disclaimer: I currently use an RX 6800 (which I'm very pleased with all things considered) but since the beginning of 2019 I've used about a dozen different GPU's, half from team green and half from team red. 

Budget (including currency): $1000-1050 USD (ish)

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Clip Studio Paint (digital painting), The Witcher 3, Doom Eternal, Metro Exodus, Elden Ring, No Man's Sky, some Fps games like Valorant and Apex, and coding/computer science stuff

Working Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Nohemi/saved/HB974D

any cooling recommendations would be appreciated if stock isn't enough (I don't plan to overclock anytime soon)

Why am I upgrading? Well my gaming laptop is about four/five years old now (has a 1050 i think) and although I can play Dead by Daylight and Valorant on okay settings, I can't really play Witcher 3 or Doom, or Metro on low-medium settings without dropping frames. I'm about to graduate from university and I've been needing an upgrade. I was just waiting for GPU prices to stabilize and so now I'm pulling the trigger before prices get crazy again (maybe wont happen but I wont take any chances since this happened to me before).

Resolution: 1920x 1080, I have a five year old monitor, so I might have to buy a new one if this one keels over but for now I'm good. I already have a mouse and keyboard and even a windows key from my last PC build. I would like to have 2 monitors in the future if possible.

Title Explanation (if you wanna skip this go ahead): Incidentally what lead me to check GPU prices again since 2021 was yesterday when I booted up Steam. I was playing The Witcher 3 and I got to Novigrad and had to turn my graphics setting all the way down, but I still couldn't even walk in that city above 3fps. In hindsight, maybe it was because I had discord and chrome in the background, however I doubt it would have made much of a difference. I made a manual save after selling all my weapons and armor to a blacksmith and then tried to quit the game. I went for a bathroom break as it struggled to close, but when I came back it was still running, so I had to force quit. Then tragedy struck. After I restarted my laptop I realized that Steam said "Install" instead of "Play." Apparently this is a common bug, and I tried re-installed based on the advice given. What was supposed to happen was that the launcher was supposed to recognize that I still had all the game content on my hard drive, but after waiting for a while Steam said that it would take 2 days and 2 hours to install the game. When I went to investigate where I have all my Steam games, all my save files were gone. So in defeat I completed my German homework and went to bed with tears in my eyes... 47 hours of game-play ... gone. So the next day, I looked at the GPU prices and told myself, "Now is the time you have been waiting for! Let's GOoOO."

Das Ende

Thank you in advance!

EDIT: Apologies for the botched links

You need to un private your list so others can view it but in the meantime i will see what i can configure for you

5 minutes ago, Grizzlyy said:

You need to un private your list so others can view it but in the meantime i will see what i can configure for you

I think I fixed it

2 minutes ago, innoBius said:

Still privated...

is it good now? I think I accidentally privated the folder where I keep all my builds

3 minutes ago, Nohemi said:

is it good now? I think I accidentally privated the folder where I keep all my builds

Yes it looks good now and the build is pretty solid

35 minutes ago, Nohemi said:

Budget (including currency): $1000-1050 USD (ish)

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Clip Studio Paint (digital painting), The Witcher 3, Doom Eternal, Metro Exodus, Elden Ring, No Man's Sky, some Fps games like Valorant and Apex, and coding/computer science stuff

Working Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Nohemi/saved/HB974D

any cooling recommendations would be appreciated if stock isn't enough (I don't plan to overclock anytime soon)

Why am I upgrading? Well my gaming laptop is about four/five years old now (has a 1050 i think) and although I can play Dead by Daylight and Valorant on okay settings, I can't really play Witcher 3 or Doom, or Metro on low-medium settings without dropping frames. I'm about to graduate from university and I've been needing an upgrade. I was just waiting for GPU prices to stabilize and so now I'm pulling the trigger before prices get crazy again (maybe wont happen but I wont take any chances since this happened to me before).

Resolution: 1920x 1080, I have a five year old monitor, so I might have to buy a new one if this one keels over but for now I'm good. I already have a mouse and keyboard and even a windows key from my last PC build. I would like to have 2 monitors in the future if possible.

Title Explanation (if you wanna skip this go ahead): Incidentally what lead me to check GPU prices again since 2021 was yesterday when I booted up Steam. I was playing The Witcher 3 and I got to Novigrad and had to turn my graphics setting all the way down, but I still couldn't even walk in that city above 3fps. In hindsight, maybe it was because I had discord and chrome in the background, however I doubt it would have made much of a difference. I made a manual save after selling all my weapons and armor to a blacksmith and then tried to quit the game. I went for a bathroom break as it struggled to close, but when I came back it was still running, so I had to force quit. Then tragedy struck. After I restarted my laptop I realized that Steam said "Install" instead of "Play." Apparently this is a common bug, and I tried re-installed based on the advice given. What was supposed to happen was that the launcher was supposed to recognize that I still had all the game content on my hard drive, but after waiting for a while Steam said that it would take 2 days and 2 hours to install the game. When I went to investigate where I have all my Steam games, all my save files were gone. So in defeat I completed my German homework and went to bed with tears in my eyes... 47 hours of game-play ... gone. So the next day, I looked at the GPU prices and told myself, "Now is the time you have been waiting for! Let's GOoOO."

Das Ende

Thank you in advance!

EDIT: Apologies for the botched links

Here is what ive come up with https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Xx8zfv

CPU: Intel Core i5-11400F 2.6 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($149.99 @ Newegg) 
Motherboard: MSI B560M PRO-VDH Micro ATX LGA1200 Motherboard  ($119.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  ($65.98 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Sabrent Rocket Q 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($89.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: MSI GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8 GB VENTUS GP OC Video Card  ($489.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P300A Mesh ATX Mid Tower Case  ($69.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: Super Flower Legion GX Pro 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply  ($62.99 @ Newegg Sellers) 
Total: $1048.92
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-04-20 20:56 EDT-0400

Just now, Nohemi said:

Is there a reason why the 3060 would be better?

Atm drivers and support.   Amd drivers have been a bit wonky. But unless you want to do the linix thing nvidia still feels better. 

11 minutes ago, innoBius said:

Atm drivers and support.   Amd drivers have been a bit wonky. But unless you want to do the linix thing nvidia still feels better. 

I would, but 3060's aren't in stock at a good price

20 minutes ago, innoBius said:

Atm drivers and support.   Amd drivers have been a bit wonky. . 

Is this based on any actual personal experience of yours or just repeating a "lol AMD drivers" meme? If you've had recent AMD cards and had problems I don't begrudge you your personal preferences (although somebody out there has a horror story for every tech brand) but there is a lot of shit talked about AMD cards from people who haven't actually had one in multiple generations, and if we're going by secondhand experiences, well, there are way more troubleshooting posts on this forum from people with Nvidia cards than AMD. 

The 6600 and 3060 are really closely matched in performance and the 6600 is usually available for less. For the prices 3060's are going for, you can get a 6600 XT, which clearly beats both of them. Unless OP wants to make use of NVENC or puts a lot of stock in DLSS (ray tracing won't be a great experience with either card so I don't even think it's worth taking into consideration) I really have a hard time recommending the 3060.

Disclaimer: I currently use an RX 6800 (which I'm very pleased with all things considered) but since the beginning of 2019 I've used about a dozen different GPU's, half from team green and half from team red. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

2 minutes ago, Middcore said:

do you think the rest of my build is okay? Would I have to update my bios to make sure the CPU works?

1 minute ago, Nohemi said:

do you think the rest of my build is okay? Would I have to update my bios to make sure the CPU works?

I think (someone can correct me if I'm mistaken) that board has BIOS flash without needing a compatible CPU. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

10 minutes ago, Middcore said:

I think (someone can correct me if I'm mistaken) that board has BIOS flash without needing a compatible CPU. 

so I can update is in the UEFI when I boot up if need be?

Just now, Nohemi said:

so I can update is in the UEFI when I boot up if need be?

No, you won't be able to boot up at all. You follow the procedure described on page 11 of that board's manual. 

27 minutes ago, Middcore said:

Yeah cant adjust desk top screen space on amd. Most games are built with nvidia drivers in mind amd a close second but still secondary...

If you want to know frustration build a new pc after a decade without one and not be able to see your task bar because you couldnt afford a monitor so you are using a tv for the moment. And you cant resize your desk top because amd doesnt do that....

15 minutes ago, innoBius said:

Yeah cant adjust desk top screen space on amd. Most games are built with nvidia drivers in mind amd a close second but still secondary...

If you want to know frustration build a new pc after a decade without one and not be able to see your task bar because you couldnt afford a monitor so you are using a tv for the moment. And you cant resize your desk top because amd doesnt do that....

Is this not what you're talking about? https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/dh2-022

So they added it finially. Yeah left a very bad taste in my mouth.

2 minutes ago, innoBius said:

So they added it finially. Yeah left a very bad taste in my mouth.

There are versions of that article going back to at least 2019, so I don't know how recent "finally" is. 

7 minutes ago, Middcore said:

There are versions of that article going back to at least 2019, so I don't know how recent "finally" is. 

Well probably about the time i swapped my RX470 for a 2060super and never looked back...i bought both msrp if that gives you a time line