Is it worth upgrading?

Go to solution Solved by cmndr,

You have something largely serviceable. I'd probably put off for a few more months because Zen 4, Raptorlake, GeForce 4000 and RDNA3

You don't seem to have any use cases that NEED more performance.

This is a case of if it's not broken, don't fix it.

Edit: looks like I'm too late. And you're enjoying your upgrade. Good. Have fun.

Budget (including currency): $1500 USD

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Some gaming. New CoD maybe? I dont play games all that much. I dont do any video editing or anything. Mostly youtube and the occasional gaming.

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

Im a little worried about my PC taking a crap on me and I dont want that. But is it really worth upgrading or can I get a few more years out of this build? Im not really into computers anymore so I dont know all of the new hardware and honestly I dont really have the interest too. If I buy a new PC I'll buy a prebuilt more than likely. I saw the LTT video about pre builds so I've been looking at iBuyPower. 

My current build is: 

CPU: i7 5820K Motherboard: GIGABYTE G1 Gaming 5P RAM: 16Gb DDR4 - Corsair GPU(s): EVGA GTX 1080Ti Case: NZXT H440 Storage: 4x 250gb SSD + 2TB HDD PSU: Corsair RM850x Cooling: H100i

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600 Motherboard: MSI B550 Tomahawk RAM: 32Gb DDR4  GPU(s): MSI 6800-XT Case: NZXT H440 Storage: 4x 250gb SSD + 2TB HDD PSU: Corsair RM850x with CableMod Displays: 1 x Asus ROG Swift And 3 x 24" 1080p Cooling: H100i Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Mouse: Corsair M65 RGB Sound: AKG 553 Operating System: Windows 10

Current PC: 

http://i.imgur.com/ubYSO3f.jpg          http://i.imgur.com/xhpDcqd.jpg

5 minutes ago, CalebTheEternal said:

Budget (including currency): $1500 USD

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Some gaming. New CoD maybe? I dont play games all that much. I dont do any video editing or anything. Mostly youtube and the occasional gaming.

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

Im a little worried about my PC taking a crap on me and I dont want that. But is it really worth upgrading or can I get a few more years out of this build? Im not really into computers anymore so I dont know all of the new hardware and honestly I dont really have the interest too. If I buy a new PC I'll buy a prebuilt more than likely. I saw the LTT video about pre builds so I've been looking at iBuyPower. 

My current build is: 

CPU: i7 5820K Motherboard: GIGABYTE G1 Gaming 5P RAM: 16Gb DDR4 - Corsair GPU(s): EVGA GTX 1080Ti Case: NZXT H440 Storage: 4x 250gb SSD + 2TB HDD PSU: Corsair RM850x Cooling: H100i

https://www.ibuypower.com/store/Gaming-RDY-SLHBG209

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D GPU- RTX 4070 SUPER FE MOBO-ASUS ROG Strix B650E-E Gaming Wifi RAM-32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5 6000cl30 STORAGE-2x1TB Seagate Firecuda 530 PCIE4 NVME PSU-Corsair RM1000x Shift COOLING-EK-AIO 360mm with 3x Lian Li P28 + 4 Lian Li TL120 (Intake) CASE-Phanteks NV5 MONITORS-ASUS ROG Strix XG27AQ 1440p 170hz+Gigabyte G24F 1080p 180hz PERIPHERALS-Lamzu Maya+ 4k Dongle+LGG Saturn Pro Mousepad+Nk65 Watermelon (Tangerine Switches)+Autonomous ErgoChair+ AUDIO-RODE NTH-100+Schiit Magni Heresy+Motu M2 Interface

Your GPU is fine for light gaming, you could just upgrade CPU + mobo to something newer/better, and even keep your RAM, for much less than $1,500

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

1 hour ago, PDifolco said:

Your GPU is fine for light gaming, you could just upgrade CPU + mobo to something newer/better, and even keep your RAM, for much less than $1,500

This is true. I just wasnt sure if its WORTH it to upgrade. I dont WANT too but do I NEED too?

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600 Motherboard: MSI B550 Tomahawk RAM: 32Gb DDR4  GPU(s): MSI 6800-XT Case: NZXT H440 Storage: 4x 250gb SSD + 2TB HDD PSU: Corsair RM850x with CableMod Displays: 1 x Asus ROG Swift And 3 x 24" 1080p Cooling: H100i Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Mouse: Corsair M65 RGB Sound: AKG 553 Operating System: Windows 10

Current PC: 

1 hour ago, CalebTheEternal said:

This is true. I just wasnt sure if its WORTH it to upgrade. I dont WANT too but do I NEED too?

Well, if you play @1080P, getting a newer faster CPU will definitely help your gaming performance

For browsing/YT vids you won't seea any major improvements... but system will overall be smoothier and snappier

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

2 hours ago, PDifolco said:

Well, if you play @1080P, getting a newer faster CPU will definitely help your gaming performance

For browsing/YT vids you won't seea any major improvements... but system will overall be smoothier and snappier

I play at 1440p. 

Current PC: 

2 hours ago, CalebTheEternal said:

I play at 1440p. 

Then you'll get slightly better perfs anyway, but mostly if you're CPU bound in your games, eg the GPU don't run at 100%, which occurs less at 1440p

6 hours ago, CalebTheEternal said:

15 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

Then you'll get slightly better perfs anyway, but mostly if you're CPU bound in your games, eg the GPU don't run at 100%, which occurs less at 1440p

Easy answer: No.  This is still a fast computer.  You'll know when it's worth an upgrade, cause things will suck and using it will be a drag.  It's one of those things where if ya really gotta ask, it's probably not.  A 5820k is not fast by new standards, but is still pretty damn solid all things considered, especially for 1440p gaming with a 1080ti.  The components in your system are pretty well paired with each other, and upgrading the cpu, ram, and motherboard now would cost a lot and not change your gaming experience in a noticeable way.

Just save whatever money you were gonna use for that for something better.

I edit the shit out of my posts.  Refresh before you respond.

On 4/19/2022 at 4:24 PM, Queen Chrysalis said:

Easy answer: No.  This is still a fast computer.  You'll know when it's worth an upgrade, cause things will suck and using it will be a drag.  It's one of those things where if ya really gotta ask, it's probably not.  A 5820k is not fast by new standards, but is still pretty damn solid all things considered, especially for 1440p gaming with a 1080ti.  The components in your system are pretty well paired with each other, and upgrading the cpu, ram, and motherboard now would cost a lot and not change your gaming experience in a noticeable way.

Just save whatever money you were gonna use for that for something better.

Thank you. Thats kind of what I figured. Last time I went to microcenter they told me the same thing. Which surprised me since they get commission. Do you think this PC will last me other 2 years? Thatll make this CPU 10 years old so that kind of worries me.

Current PC: 

41 minutes ago, CalebTheEternal said:

Thank you. Thats kind of what I figured. Last time I went to microcenter they told me the same thing. Which surprised me since they get commission. Do you think this PC will last me other 2 years? Thatll make this CPU 10 years old so that kind of worries me.

Yeah.  Software has kinda capped out what it wants fom clock speed, and six cores is still plenty.  Older quads still work.  It’s all about GPUs nowadays with new games, and the 1080ti is still a little faster than the GPU in new consoles, which games are made to look good on.  On that note, the 5820k is still pretty close in speed to the 3700x in the new consoles, which are GPU bound anyway.  In theory this PC could last till the next console gen, or maybe just before that.  By then it’ll likely be low end by then, but at least for the next couple years it’ll still be great.

I edit the shit out of my posts.  Refresh before you respond.

On 4/19/2022 at 9:15 PM, CalebTheEternal said:

Im a little worried about my PC taking a crap on me and I dont want that. But is it really worth upgrading or can I get a few more years out of this build

Just run a decent oc to 4.5g+ or whatever oc you can pull off on 1.2-1.3v vcore and thatll last a few more years, btw intel 22nm spec is 1.55v so you are gonna be nowhere near that cause i doubt that h100i is even able to cool one of these cpus at over 1.4v so heat is the main concern but at volts under 1.3v pushing it to 95c is what id deem completely fine due to the low voltage

Though what i reccomend is upgrading that case cause those terribly designed nzxt cases have no airflow so get a decent mesh case like p400a, s2, nx260, df700 flux, etc.

Blah blah blah blah.....

Blibbity blah, blah blibbity

Now that im done with the chest thumping, if you have cash money $1500 take the cash put it in the bank and add what you can. You are going to wait until 5 things happen.

1. Zen 4 hits the market

2. RDNA 3 hits the market

3. RTX 4000 Hits the market

5. Intel responds to the above 3

Then you are going to sit around watching every Gamer's Nexus, LTT, and Jays2Cents video about this hard ware, pick a platform and then get back on this forums for some tweaking of the build...

Your PC is fine ATM, unless it 100% shits the bed your best bet is to hang on for now.

As far as cpu age i have somewhere a C2D e8400 kicking around that lived its life at 3ghz with a slight over volt.

10 minutes ago, innoBius said:

Blah blah blah blah.....

Blibbity blah, blah blibbity

Now that im done with the chest thumping, if you have cash money $1500 take the cash put it in the bank and add what you can. You are going to wait until 5 things happen.

1. Zen 4 hits the market

2. RDNA 3 hits the market

3. RTX 4000 Hits the market

5. Intel responds to the above 3

Then you are going to sit around watching every Gamer's Nexus, LTT, and Jays2Cents video about this hard ware, pick a platform and then get back on this forums for some tweaking of the build...

Your PC is fine ATM, unless it 100% shits the bed your best bet is to hang on for now.

As far as cpu age i have somewhere a C2D e8400 kicking around that lived its life at 3ghz with a slight over volt.

Sounds good! Thanks. Pretty much everyone said to keep it. I was mainly worried about age. 

Current PC: 

Need, no

Is there a benefit? Yes, your CPU is fairly old (about 7 generations). Upgrading platform to newer one will give you a better overall computing experience. I.E. things generally loading faster, better multitasking ability, better download speeds as well. For games, they will run smoother: meaning better frame pacing and time, and less frame stutters.

GPU wise, will really depend on the game. If you're playing older games, it's probably fine. For any newer AAA games, the 1080ti may struggle @ 1440p

If the money is not a problem, I would recommend at least upgrading to a newer CPU platform

• 1 month later...
On 4/21/2022 at 10:04 AM, Jonathan Lee said:

Need, no

Is there a benefit? Yes, your CPU is fairly old (about 7 generations). Upgrading platform to newer one will give you a better overall computing experience. I.E. things generally loading faster, better multitasking ability, better download speeds as well. For games, they will run smoother: meaning better frame pacing and time, and less frame stutters.

GPU wise, will really depend on the game. If you're playing older games, it's probably fine. For any newer AAA games, the 1080ti may struggle @ 1440p

If the money is not a problem, I would recommend at least upgrading to a newer CPU platform

Little update. I ended up getting some new stuff. I got an AMD 5600 and a 6800-XT. MUCH better performance on 1440p and the super resolution or whatever its called to upscale helps fps a ton as well!

Current PC: 

You have something largely serviceable. I'd probably put off for a few more months because Zen 4, Raptorlake, GeForce 4000 and RDNA3

Edit: looks like I'm too late. And you're enjoying your upgrade. Good. Have fun.

3900x | 32GB RAM | RTX 2080

1.5TB Optane P4800X | 2TB Micron 1100 SSD | 16TB NAS w/ 10Gbe
QN90A | Polk R200, ELAC OW4.2, PB12-NSD, SB1000, HD800

5 hours ago, Jonathan Lee said:

Probably would have gotten a nicer CPU, but ehh you already got it

I dont think I need a nicer CPU. I only game and even then its not THAT often. Usually not daily. 

5 hours ago, cmndr said:

CPU was on its last legs. I started having problems booting so thats what made me decide to just go for it. 

Current PC: 

If you were having reliability issues that changes the calculus a fair bit.

I interpreted it as you were worried about hypothetical reliability issues as the system was old, not actual observed issues.

3900x | 32GB RAM | RTX 2080

1.5TB Optane P4800X | 2TB Micron 1100 SSD | 16TB NAS w/ 10Gbe
QN90A | Polk R200, ELAC OW4.2, PB12-NSD, SB1000, HD800