RouterOS x86 Build

dewman45

I have been thinking of replacing my little hEX S soon here, and I kind of want to build something instead of buy, because it sounds cool and this in the realm of my profession/hobby. In the future at some point, I will need several SFP+, for testing and for other devices. I currently have a CSS326 after the hEX S to handle the 10gig, and it works fine. It will be staying in the network. I have been planning on using the first gen LGA 2011 platform, and dual CPU would be easy enough. The part I am not sure about, is if RouterOS is more reliant on clock speed or core count, or if it really doesn't even matter. The second part is deciding on SFP+ hardware. I am already a big fan of 10GTek, so for transceivers I may be going that route. As for the NICs, I would need several SFP+. I have heard not so great things about Intel 10Gb support on RouterOSv6, and limited throughput issues. I am currently using Mellanox and I may stay with them as long as the support is good, plus they're very affordable right now on eBay. Does anyone have any input on the CPU and NIC choice? Any input or advice going forward as well?