Possibly weird 6700 xt behaviour

Go to solution Solved by Allyxxx,

Have you tried adjusting the fan curve in the Radeon software?

You can also adjust the power setting, but not sure if you can get rid of the coil whine or if that is a good solution.

Hello,

I recently bought an ROG STRIX 6700 XT (this one) and I've noticed some weird behaviour, although I did some light research and didn't find anyone else experiencing this.  

After configuring my settings and making sure everything was running smoothly, I noticed that, at idle, the GPU was under ~90% load and idling at 50 degrees Celsius.  I am aware the latter is mostly fine, however, the fans seem to only turn on at 50 degrees no matter how much I try and configure them- I've only been able to alter the speed.  To clarify, the average temps (not hotspot) will hover around 50, with the GPU stopping fan spin below 50 and starting up again once it goes above.  As a self-proclaimed 'quiet freak', it definitely annoys me. 

Moreover, it does this after behaving normally on start-up- that being a load of <5%, temps in the 30 degree range and fan speed at 0rpm.  At around 15 seconds after I reach the desktop, it'll start behaving as I outlined above.  

It also produces a pretty aggressive coil whine sound as a part of this 'weird behaviour', so much so that it sounds almost like power is arcing across something and I can hear it at my desk while my pc is on the floor around a meter away from me.  I haven't taken the card apart yet but I don't mind doing so to inspect it (it's also still under warranty and whatnot as of now).  To my knowledge, I got it new at MWave, my local retailer, although there was some light damage on the box (I picked it up from the store), so I don't suspect that this is returned item.  

Further thickening the plot, this 'load' on the GPU at idle only shows up in the AMD software:Adrenalin Edition and Argus Monitor (fan control and temp sensors), but not in task manager. I can try and get a screenshot of the argus graphs next time I turn on the PC to show the behaviour on start-up.  

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I got this for an absolute steal and I really don't want to have to return this beauty.  

Aside from this issue, she runs great and does everything I could have asked for and more, it's frankly incredible coming from a GTX 680 to this beast.  

Thank you in advance.  

:]

You can also adjust the power setting, but not sure if you can get rid of the coil whine or if that is a good solution.

32 minutes ago, Allyxxx said:

I've switched the on-board bios settings between 'P-mode' and 'Q-mode' with no real difference aside from the fan speed.
I'll try using the Radeon software to adjust the fan curve but I already use Argus Monitor to do that, I'll let you know how that goes in a bit because I'm a bit busy right now.
Regards

I'm not familiar with Argus software so I don't know how it checks GPU load or if it increasing the load and I just use HWInfo to monitoring temperatures and other stats on my hardware.

4 hours ago, Allyxxx said:

I'm not familiar with Argus software so I don't know how it checks GPU load or if it increasing the load and I just use HWInfo to monitoring temperatures and other stats on my hardware.

Fair enough, but same thing happens in AMD's own software which I find puzzling.  
You think there's any real issue though?

Have you tested the video card while playing any games to see if you noticed anything like low FPS or anything that doesn't seem right. Not sure if coil whine can be considered a problem. I have one video card that can do some annoying coil whine when there is a large white background or with some other type windows in being displayed.

On 4/14/2022 at 12:46 AM, Allyxxx said:

Have you tested the video card while playing any games to see if you noticed anything like low FPS or anything that doesn't seem right. Not sure if coil whine can be considered a problem. I have one video card that can do some annoying coil whine when there is a large white background or with some other type windows in being displayed.

Hi, just got back from a family 'road trip' of sorts and whatever I was experiencing seems to have disappeared.
As for performance, I don't think it was hitting its full potential but I don't know if that has anything to do with the CPU I'm using temporarily (an i3 10105f) or if it was to do with the GPU acting up.  

Big thanks for you help either way, I've marked this thread as resolved 🙂