Rack Mount PC Case

chucklossus

Please make a rack mount pc case that's sub $500 (if possible). 

Currently there aren't many options outside of Rosewill's line up and they are mediocre at best. I'm currently using the RSV-L4500U. I had to replace all eight fans immediately because they all had molex connections and more importantly according to most reviews of the case would consistently catch fire. All of which makes the $235 price tag feel like highway robbery.

Has anyone found a link to the Sweetwater case that was mentioned on the stream?

I might be WAY off but i cant image that there will be enough interest to actually justify the development/manufacturing of this. Like how many people actually have racks in their homes? Maybe I am just out of the loop

39 minutes ago, chucklossus said:

Please make a rack mount pc case that's sub $500 (if possible). 

Currently there aren't many options outside of Rosewill's line up and they are mediocre at best. I'm currently using the RSV-L4500U. I had to replace all eight fans immediately because they all had molex connections and more importantly according to most reviews of the case would consistently catch fire. All of which makes the $235 price tag feel like highway robbery.

Linus has said that for the forseeable future LMG will not make cases, and Linus's personal rig/Yvonne's rig was custom-made so probably would be over $500 and was also made in 2015 and the CAD files aren't being released because it was poorly designed. So unless he decides that he needs a new case, it's unlikely that there will be a LTT case for a long time.

This would be awesome and honestly, doesnt sound too hard to make.

19 hours ago, Ultraforce said:

Linus has said that for the forseeable future LMG will not make cases, and Linus's personal rig/Yvonne's rig was custom-made so probably would be over $500 and was also made in 2015 and the CAD files aren't being released because it was poorly designed. So unless he decides that he needs a new case, it's unlikely that there will be a LTT case for a long time.

He discussed doing this in the live stream yesterday, but I dont think he actually will go through with it

Definitely a zero chance for a rackmount case. There's already really good cases out there for such a niche market. The manufacturing cost alone would put it in the $500+ range limiting the market even more.

Protocase has the custom design experience to make it right so use them if you really want a case.

The best gaming PC is the PC you like to game on, how you like to game on it

I recently went through moving my gaming setup into a rackmount case and found that Silverstone have a few good ones. I eventually settled on the RM42-502 which has space for a radiator and includes an anti-sag bracket for if you want to use it in a tower configuration. It doesn't have a huge amount of space available for storage but it's probably sufficient for the majority of cases (especially if you don't use an optical drive).

While rackmount cases aren't particularly common, there are a few brands around which do them already

2 hours ago, AlexRothwell said:

I recently went through moving my gaming setup into a rackmount case and found that Silverstone have a few good ones. I eventually settled on the RM42-502 which has space for a radiator and includes an anti-sag bracket for if you want to use it in a tower configuration. It doesn't have a huge amount of space available for storage but it's probably sufficient for the majority of cases (especially if you don't use an optical drive).

While rackmount cases aren't particularly common, there are a few brands around which do them already

Did you see very many other cases that can both work as rack mount and as a tower config? I'm really not sure what to do with my first ever custom build, but I feel like even if it's maybe not right for me now, that eventually I'll want a rack to help with having there be one central location for computer equipment and I don't know if it would be a mistake to have my first case be one that I might not use in 5 or 10 years when I'd hopefully have a home where I might try and do the rack and computer space.

55 minutes ago, Ultraforce said:

Did you see very many other cases that can both work as rack mount and as a tower config? I'm really not sure what to do with my first ever custom build, but I feel like even if it's maybe not right for me now, that eventually I'll want a rack to help with having there be one central location for computer equipment and I don't know if it would be a mistake to have my first case be one that I might not use in 5 or 10 years when I'd hopefully have a home where I might try and do the rack and computer space.

Can't remember at the moment sorry, it was a few months ago now that I was looking. So far I haven't used it as a tower anyway, I found a side table to use as a rack; its legs are weirdly spaced the same as a standard rack

• 2 weeks later...

If a rack mountable case would be in the works a nice thing to do would be to have some sort of 3,5" bay where you can put the I/O ports you have on the motherboard on the front of the case using extension cables.
Being in a rack it's very hard to plug/unplug cables at the back. Being at the front is way easier to plug in extra drives, usb's, ...
I did it on my rack mounted server. Connected all the motherboard I/O's trough a keystone rack mount so I can plug and unplug any drive, usb straight into USB-A's, USB 2.0 and USB-C. Even have a HDMI just so I can hook up a extra monitor very easy if I ever want one.
Picture is just before I build the server into the rack. You can see the USB's in the patch panel. Even used black and white one's so I can hook 2 different server's up that way.

233664717_10224525557180023_6869621882792547289_n.jpg

On 4/16/2022 at 1:04 AM, Ultraforce said:

Unless you're expecting to build very intently for a rack, don't try to plan for it.

Rack cases are rare, and very finnicky compared to regular towers.

Build for a normal tower, and if you ever decide to move into a rack, the rackmount case can be part of that investment.