If my pc cant reach 144fps and my monitor is 144hz should i limit it to 120fps and underclock monitor to 120hz or leave it uncapped?

PLSHELPME123
Go to solution Solved by Alex Atkin UK,
2 hours ago, PLSHELPME123 said:

just cap? no underclock on monitor or anything?

Make sure your monitor refresh rate is no higher than your frame rate unless you can tolerate tearing or stutter.  Just bear in mind that for the best response times when competitive gaming, you'd have to put up with it as vsync will add some input latency so you might want to keep that off and even uncapped.

This is why G-Sync/Freesync is so great, you can enable vsync without too much of a penalty and avoid stutters.

title says it all. planning to get 730 for the meantime and i saw benchmarks that it reaches around 130+fps on val and cs so should i leave it uncapped or limit it to 120fps and underclock the monitor to 120hz? or it will be the same with 144hz and 120fps? 

5 minutes ago, PLSHELPME123 said:

title says it all. planning to get 730 for the meantime and i saw benchmarks that it reaches around 130+fps on val and cs so should i leave it uncapped or limit it to 120fps and underclock the monitor to 120hz? or it will be the same with 144hz and 120fps? 

I'd cap it, you need G-Sync IMO for uncapped frame rates to be tolerable.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

2 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

I'd cap it, you need G-Sync IMO for uncapped frame rates to be tolerable.

2 hours ago, PLSHELPME123 said:

Make sure your monitor refresh rate is no higher than your frame rate unless you can tolerate tearing or stutter.  Just bear in mind that for the best response times when competitive gaming, you'd have to put up with it as vsync will add some input latency so you might want to keep that off and even uncapped.

This is why G-Sync/Freesync is so great, you can enable vsync without too much of a penalty and avoid stutters.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7