Female LTT fan on new merch

AnnaThomas

So first let me say, I LOVE many of the clothing items on LTTstore.com.  Most of it is well thought through, functional, love the zip up pockets etc…. pretty sexy looking and generally flattering, whilst staying comfortable.   And it isn’t my desire to make anyone who was instrumental in designing these to feel bad, because I’d like to acknowledge I’m one person and my opinion is far from the only one that matters.  It’s just an opinion, and in the case of clothing that’s by nature subjective.

Here’s my take however.  I really strongly dislike the only two womens clothing items you brought out. And to be honest I’m pretty saddened and disappointed in them in contrast to what I’m used to from the mens items.  Here’s the thing… I’m sure the quality is nice and I’m sure they’re comfortable… but there’s nothing slick or flattering or just… smooth looking about them to me. I hate to say it, but I’m pretty sure if you went to Wal-mart, you’d find something that looks pretty identical for $5ish. It doesn’t have that design quality and polish I’ve come to love from LTT merch.  There’s nothing about this home lounge sweatsuit that says LTT… it’s just a frumpy unflattering tracksuit, that looks like it was once burgundy but now has faded to some grey ish shade of wine.  If you’re a woman who has any curves at all, this design makes you look like you weigh 50lbs more. The cuffs pulling baggy sleeves into a gather just makes a woman look bloated or puffy.  Also, it has no LTT branding either, which is ok for your hoodies etc. because those are so distinctive looking that it’s plausible that someone who knows the tech space might recognize it anywhere.  But with this plain, non-recognizable, generic Walmart lookalike, to then not have any branding on it makes it even worse. 

So I’m back to where, if I buy anything from LTT store.com, I’m gonna have to buy a guy hoodie or the guy sweat pants.  I just don’t understand why a woman who wanted to have something from Linus tech tips, would want to buy either of these as opposed to running to Walmart and picking up something basically identical to both for $12. To anyone not running it through their fingers, visually speaking it would be indistinguishable.  I’d really rather just buy a mens WAN hoodie…I like wearing hoodies, there are feminine shaped hoodies that compliment even curvy girls (and no I’m not necessarily talking like 4XL, I’m talking a girl with fairly large bachangas and hips that are bigger than their waist.) Why wasn’t there any thought to just, give us one of those slick wan hoodies or the swacket but like, with a female silhouette a bit?  These house tracksuits scream of postpartum frump and look like they’d wonderfully highlight any Covid weight I’ve put on.  Whyyyy??? I don’t get this “fashion,” and for any woman above 95lbs, this is gonna look like bloated balloon Michelin man or stay puff marshmallow man made flesh. 

That isn’t to say that the women modeling them don’t look gorgeous, cause girls…if there was any way to make these tracksuits not look terrible, you gals definitely presented them in the best light possible but… you are all lovely and would look stunning in anything, that’s not so much a reflection of the clothing. And I’m sure they’re comfortable, but so are hospital gowns but that doesn’t mean anyone looks good wearing them in public.  I just, you couldn’t pay me to wear these.  I’m sorry I just hate them and I’m really sad that this is what women who are into LTT get, while all the men get such smooth and flattering clothing from LTT. 

For me at least, I’d rather buy anything else in the store, and that’s disheartening. It feels like LTT is like tech for men, and instead of making merch for female LTT fans also, you guys made horrible lounge sweatsuits for their housebound pregnant wives.  Again, lovely ladies who modeled them, you’re gorgeous, I don’t mean this as any reflection of any of you or your representation, or that I perceive any of you as frumpy housewives, my criticism is purely directed to the style and cut and color of the clothing. If it’s current “fashion,” then it’s just a horrible reminder that the fashion industry could sell foil covered turds to the queen as earrings.  Not all fashion needs to be followed, and I’d wager a guess that many female LTT fans, if not most, aren’t dying for this kind of fashion. 

Maybe I’m the only one. If my opinion is a one off, then my bad and I’m sorry if I offended anyone who thought this was exactly their taste in clothing.  And I’d like to emphasize that there is nothing wrong with being a housewife, nothing wrong with raising children, women who choose that life are heroic and beyond amazing. There’s nothing wrong with wearing comfortable sweat pants and sweatshirts.  But Linus Tech Tips so far hasn’t been in the habit of letting polish slide in favor of making their clothing more comfortable.  It seems shitty that guys get to be comfy AND stylish ALSO…whereas we females get to look like Walmart wannabes. 

Below I’m throwing in some examples of womens fitted jackets to illustrate what I wished the new merch had been like

7B762750-EAAC-423B-BD4D-5E71B1130170.jpeg

2EFDC058-983C-4CF5-869E-657498ECF200.jpeg

A2C8B834-D309-4A59-A3C0-8B32CDB7C1BF.jpeg

CE5B7C90-B2BF-461B-807C-D14C8F07161F.jpeg

9B757AE4-AC47-4D50-B3A3-9ABD43BA6D65.jpeg

5CEBBEEB-F4BD-45C9-950E-EEEE58C00023.jpeg

09F1CEC2-E744-4EB5-87A2-02767763EC58.jpeg

It's basically peersonal preference. LTT is a business, and their focus is money. If they believed they could make more money by doing this, they would have. I asked some of my female friends, and 3/4 of them said they would prefer an oversized hoodie over your idea. LTT has probably consiidered this, and made the specific style to havve tthe most economic profits. Also, I would like to state that there are a lot more males thhan the females in the LTT community, so it's natural that they would want to accommodate the males more, in order to get the most money.
Then again, this is a 13 year olds take, so I'm probably wrong.
Inspiron 15 5510
(i7-11390h/Iris Xe/16gb)

1 hour ago, Mr-G-Man said:

It's basically peersonal preference. LTT is a business, and their focus is money. If they believed they could make more money by doing this, they would have. I asked some of my female friends, and 3/4 of them said they would prefer an oversized hoodie over your idea. LTT has probably consiidered this, and made the specific style to havve tthe most economic profits. Also, I would like to state that there are a lot more males thhan the females in the LTT community, so it's natural that they would want to accommodate the males more, in order to get the most money.
Then again, this is a 13 year olds take, so I'm probably wrong.

You’re right, I suppose it’s possible that Linus Tech Tips is just shilling to make the most money possible from his merch as quickly as possible regardless of the quality or wearability. It’s also possible that Linus doesn’t care about women because they don’t make up most of his audience.  But I do not think that’s the case.  Linus is very big on making his merch high quality in design and in materials, and he has been clear that he understands that he has a female audience that he wants to recognize and affirm. In a recent wan show Linus did explain that he had outsourced the womens designs to some women in the company, and I just don’t think that they had a very good pulse on what female LTT fans would most prefer. I think they picked what they would want, and I think their taste is very niche in a way that won’t have the broad appeal they were hoping.  When watching the show, the majority of people buying it were men saying “my wife is gonna love this.” Sadly, I think, no… no I don’t think she is.

Also I made that post at about 5am, you responded at about 8am…it’s so great that you were able to do such a thorough survey of all the women you know in the three earliest hours of the morning, when typically very few people are even awake. I’d love to hear what they have to say personally though, since this is a matter of women’s style and the most important opinions, it would follow, would be those of other women.

34 minutes ago, AnnaThomas said:

Also I made that post at about 5am, you responded at about 8am…it’s so great that you were able to do such a thorough survey of all the women you know in the three earliest hours of the morning, when typically very few people are even awake. I’d love to hear what they have to say personally though, since this is a matter of women’s style and the most important opinions, it would follow, would be those of other women.

I'm not gonna mix myself in this thread too much because this is about women's clothing and I'm not a woman. And also clothing is subjective.

But I did want to say: Mr-G-Man is from the future land of Straya, so it's well possible that he checked with people. It would have been around 9 or 10 PM there when he posted.

Fair enough. I didn’t consider the possibility that he came from the future. 

As I said in the post, I recognize that clothing style is subjective, and I know that it’s possible my tastes don’t represent the vast majority of female LTT fans.  I am just saying I’m a geeky, world of Warcraft playing, pc building, female, who likes to feel confident and wears basically tshirts, hoodies and sports wear.  Basically until this, the only other thing in the LTT store I couldn’t imagine myself realistically wearing even though it was all geared for men was the flannel lumberjack shirt.  But the frump- tracksuit is, well, not at all a fave. I just think if the rest of linuses audience are anything like me, I doubt I’m the exception.  Though, stranger things have happened.  I never would have predicted Trump either but sometimes popular opinion isn’t what id expect.

1 hour ago, AnnaThomas said:

In a recent wan show Linus did explain that he had outsourced the womens designs to some women in the company, and I just don’t think that they had a very good pulse on what female LTT fans would most prefer. I think they picked what they would want, and I think their taste is very niche in a way that won’t have the broad appeal they were hoping.  When watching the show, the majority of people buying it were men saying “my wife is gonna love this.” Sadly, I think, no… no I don’t think she is.

4 hours ago, AnnaThomas said:

There’s nothing about this home lounge sweatsuit that says LTT… it’s just a frumpy unflattering tracksuit, that looks like it was once burgundy but now has faded to some grey ish shade of wine.  If you’re a woman who has any curves at all, this design makes you look like you weigh 50lbs more. The cuffs pulling baggy sleeves into a gather just makes a woman look bloated or puffy.

Well I agree with that and quite frankly I was shocked when the early designs of the underwear were shown. Well lets put it this way, I'm glad my GF doesn't like/own/wear that style of underwear (bottom parts, bra I'm quite indifferent).

IMHO it's pure puffy/baggy non-figure-accentuating-land across all female clothing shown so far. Might be the liking/style of Nicole and Sarah and probably many female fans. For SOs of male fans I'm not so sure. I'll continue to buy the stuff for men, which both my GF and I really like a lot. Given the general feedback I read about those items so far (outside of this thread), myopinion might not be shared by many others, so I guess it's just not for me.

58 minutes ago, Dracarris said:

Well I agree with that and quite frankly I was shocked when the early designs of the underwear were shown. Well lets put it this way, I'm glad my GF doesn't like/own/wear that style of underwear (bottom parts, bra I'm quite indifferent).

IMHO it's pure puffy/baggy non-figure-accentuating-land across all female clothing shown so far. Might be the liking/style of Nicole and Sarah and probably many female fans. For SOs of male fans I'm not so sure. I'll continue to buy the stuff for men, which both my GF and I really like a lot. Given the general feedback I read about those items so far (outside of this thread), myopinion might not be shared by many others, so I guess it's just not for me.

I agree that it might be the liking of some people on LTT staff. I don’t agree that many female fans would prefer it.  I find that hard to imagine.  I don’t see why anyone who isn’t an LTT stan would buy this over getting something identical from Walmart.  It’s just a baggy frumpy cotton sweatsuit.  I can’t be the only one who knows they’ve been seeing a cheap identically cut version of this sold at Walmart for the last 40 years….