Unsure on upgrading gpu

Samphill2417
Go to solution Solved by RogueApollo,

Well, as all things, it depends, right?

Do you really need that upgrade? Is there any game or task that you can't run/do? Probably not

Do you need the competitive advantage in fps that the gpu will give? It's not that much, but i'd probably bet no.

Lastly, do you need the money for something else? Or are you buying for the sake of buying?

Hope I didn't come off as condescending though!

Recently at the start of January I brought a brand new gtx 1660 super msi Ventus oc model I sold some old parts like my 1060 and i7 6700k and have enough To buy a second hand 3060 or 3060 ti should I upgrade or save my money??

Second hand the 3060 and 3060ti prices are basically the same as new. So just buy new so you have a warranty.

As for if it's worth it idk. What makes you want to upgrade now?

Not really all my friends have rtx cards but there isn’t much of a performance difference between the 1660 super and 3060 it’s just I won’t something that is more future proof coz when I move out I probably won’t have money to spend on computer parts

50 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Second hand the 3060 and 3060ti prices are basically the same as new. So just buy new so you have a warranty.

i havent been keeping up with prices lately, when did they go down to MSRP and what magical land do i have to travel to to get them?

41 minutes ago, Samphill2417 said:

Not really all my friends have rtx cards but there isn’t much of a performance difference between the 1660 super and 3060 it’s just I won’t something that is more future proof coz when I move out I probably won’t have money to spend on computer parts

what games do you play and do you use any GPU intensive apps for work/hobby stuff?

Main PC: the literature club machine

Intel I5 9600k @ 4.2 Ghz | MSI z390-a pro | G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB 3000Mhz | Samsung 970 Evo 500 GB | Seagate barracuda 3.5" 2.5tb  | Thermaltake Floe Riing RGB 240 | Asus GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB DUAL OC | Thermaltake Core P3 TG Snow Edition

Daily drivers

OPPO A52 | Razer Blackwidow Chroma | Razer Deathadder V2 Pro | Beryodynamic DT 990 PRO | Focusrite Scarlett solo gen 2

Just now, mon1ka said:

i havent been keeping up with prices lately, when did they go down to MSRP and what magical land do i have to travel to to get them?

what games do you play and do you use any GPU intensive apps for work/hobby stuff?

I never mentioned msrp? I just said second hand ones are the price of new ones pretty much. To which I was referring to the current price of the new ones.

42 minutes ago, Samphill2417 said:

I would worry more about saving money when you move out since you said that you won't have enough money to spend on computer parts...

I have an i7-6700k with GTX 1060 6GB. I'd just save if I were you and upgrade the entire computer later.

2 minutes ago, jaslion said:

I never mentioned msrp? I just said second hand ones are the price of new ones pretty much. To which I was referring to the current price of the new ones.

oh i misread your comment, my apologies.

1 minute ago, Mykie said:

I would worry more about saving money when you move out since you said that you won't have enough money to spend on computer parts...

I have an i7-6700k with GTX 1060 6GB. I'd just save if I were you and upgrade the entire computer later.

this 100%. Save for the move then upgrade your whole PC down the road. Upgrading a pc is fun but having a roof over your head is more important

Main PC: the literature club machine

Intel I5 9600k @ 4.2 Ghz | MSI z390-a pro | G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB 3000Mhz | Samsung 970 Evo 500 GB | Seagate barracuda 3.5" 2.5tb  | Thermaltake Floe Riing RGB 240 | Asus GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB DUAL OC | Thermaltake Core P3 TG Snow Edition

Daily drivers

OPPO A52 | Razer Blackwidow Chroma | Razer Deathadder V2 Pro | Beryodynamic DT 990 PRO | Focusrite Scarlett solo gen 2

Well, as all things, it depends, right?

Do you really need that upgrade? Is there any game or task that you can't run/do? Probably not

Do you need the competitive advantage in fps that the gpu will give? It's not that much, but i'd probably bet no.

Lastly, do you need the money for something else? Or are you buying for the sake of buying?

Hope I didn't come off as condescending though!