DRAM LED on Motherboard with No Display Output

Go to solution Solved by WildFoxy100,
On 3/26/2022 at 2:28 AM, Lord Nicoll said:

oops sorry for not replying sooner.
That's a somewhat older CPU and board, but I haven't heard of sandybridge just dying like that so it'd be odd, but possibly, however I'd be more thinking RAM, can you get a new DIMM cheaply? Probably be the better option, cheapest DIMM you can find to see if those two DIMMs but it is a little odd for two DIMMs to die together without something else killing them, which is why I thought maybe it was the CPU. I would suggest also looking for the lowest end LGA 1155 CPU you can find, a celeron or something like that, to test if it's the CPU. If new memory and a new CPU still don't post then it's probably the board. I would also suggest seeing if your board has BIOS flashback, it'll let you update/rewrite the BIOS of the board without the computer needing to be on or posting. 

Ok so I will try getting new DIMMs. Thanks for the help by the way.

I left my pc on for about 6 hours to download a game (abt 40gb). The pc was working fine. After I came back I saw that the pc was still on but there was no display output. I tried to wake it up but nothing happened. I turned off the pc by holding the power button. I restarted it. It turned on (still no display output) after two seconds it turned off by itself and turned on again. All this time my asus motherboard had the DRAM led on. I used the motherboard MemOK function but no success. I tried everything I could find but it didn't work.

1 minute ago, Ali1076 said:

I left my pc on for about 6 hours to download a game (abt 40gb). The pc was working fine. After I came back I saw that the pc was still on but there was no display output. I tried to wake it up but nothing happened. I turned off the pc by holding the power button. I restarted it. It turned on (still no display output) after two seconds it turned off by itself and turned on again. All this time my asus motherboard had the DRAM led on. I used the motherboard MemOK function but no success. I tried everything I could find but it didn't work.

As unlikely as it sounds, might be a DRAM failure during use, odd it happened out of nowhere. Did you try clearing the CMOS too? Might be worth pulling the memory modules out and testing them one at a time assuming you have more than one. 

Yours faithfully

On 3/19/2022 at 1:29 PM, Lord Nicoll said:

As unlikely as it sounds, might be a DRAM failure during use, odd it happened out of nowhere. Did you try clearing the CMOS too? Might be worth pulling the memory modules out and testing them one at a time assuming you have more than one. 

I cleared CMOS by removing the battery. It didn't make a difference. I also tried both RAM sticks separately but no difference. I'm wondering if the CMOS battery is dead.

32 minutes ago, Ali1076 said:

I cleared CMOS by removing the battery. It didn't make a difference. I also tried both RAM sticks separately but no difference. I'm wondering if the CMOS battery is dead.

That shouldn't stop the board from posting, but if neither RAM stick worked, you'll need to try them in another PC. What are the other specs of the PC, CPU, RAM and motherboard. It's possible but unlikely the CPU died, but, it's not a stretch. 

Yours faithfully

15 hours ago, Lord Nicoll said:

That shouldn't stop the board from posting, but if neither RAM stick worked, you'll need to try them in another PC. What are the other specs of the PC, CPU, RAM and motherboard. It's possible but unlikely the CPU died, but, it's not a stretch. 

The cpu is an intel i5 2500 and the motherboard is Asus P8Z68V PRO. I'm not sure about the RAM.

I'm not sure about the CPU dying but is it possible to check somehow?

On 3/20/2022 at 11:51 PM, Ali1076 said:

The cpu is an intel i5 2500 and the motherboard is Asus P8Z68V PRO. I'm not sure about the RAM.

I'm not sure about the CPU dying but is it possible to check somehow?

That's a somewhat older CPU and board, but I haven't heard of sandybridge just dying like that so it'd be odd, but possibly, however I'd be more thinking RAM, can you get a new DIMM cheaply? Probably be the better option, cheapest DIMM you can find to see if those two DIMMs but it is a little odd for two DIMMs to die together without something else killing them, which is why I thought maybe it was the CPU. I would suggest also looking for the lowest end LGA 1155 CPU you can find, a celeron or something like that, to test if it's the CPU. If new memory and a new CPU still don't post then it's probably the board. I would also suggest seeing if your board has BIOS flashback, it'll let you update/rewrite the BIOS of the board without the computer needing to be on or posting. 

Yours faithfully

On 3/26/2022 at 2:28 AM, Lord Nicoll said:

Ok so I will try getting new DIMMs. Thanks for the help by the way.