PC Random restarts

Go to solution Solved by Alite,

Update: I bought a "faulty" corsair sf750 for 10 European dollars and I was like what the hell let me try it. And it has been running without issues. Weird if the sharkoon is faulty since it was only 5 days old. I guess that's solved.

Specs are

I5 8400

Msiz370 pc pro

Have this issue for the last few months where my PC randomly restarts. It first started when I had an i7 6700k with z170 board. I have changed almost everything except the peripherals. The issue stayed same.

New motherboard new PSU new CPU new RAM. And it gives same symptoms as my older setup. Also tried 3 different GPUs. Different power cable different socket and Different SSD. I don't know anymore.

might wanna move this over to troubleshooting... I'm sure they'll be able to help you!

( I N S E R T  S I G N A T U R E  H E R E )

^

||

|| 

1 hour ago, Alite said:

Specs are

I5 8400

Msiz370 pc pro

Have this issue for the last few months where my PC randomly restarts. It first started when I had an i7 6700k with z170 board. I have changed almost everything except the peripherals. The issue stayed same.

New motherboard new PSU new CPU new RAM. And it gives same symptoms as my older setup. Also tried 3 different GPUs. Different power cable different socket and Different SSD. I don't know anymore.

Checked your event viewer to see what happens when it reboots?

Since you have tried all these things with your computer you may want to start looking for other potential sources.

How is the electrical wiring in your house? Intermitting ground faults, large variations in voltage, flickering lights (short power outage), and more, can cause this kind of problems. In other words, either your psu panics and shuts down due to either of these, or the outage is just long enough for the psu to run out of juice. It could be something as obscure as turning on a defective water kettle in the kitchen (ground fault while turned on f.ex.)

Event viewer shows kernel something ID 41. Google shows multiple things. My older psu (650w evga gq) and now (sharkoon cool zero 850) make the same symptoms. I know I don't have ground in my room and the wiring is I think from the 50s? At least house was build then. It's just so weird. Sometimes it won't happen for half hour and sometimes it will do a few times in 5 minutes

You replaced your old power supply with something worse, that Sharkoon is crap. It has 650w on its 12v rail, no better than what you had and a worse quality unit overall.

That said, I don't think the power supply is the issue here. Try and get the power outlet you're using grounded, that would be a start.

7 hours ago, heatonpkmassive said:

You replaced your old power supply with something worse, that Sharkoon is crap. It has 650w on its 12v rail, no better than what you had and a worse quality unit overall.

NO! The Sharkoon is way better. It has a decent platform from High Power/Sirfa, same used in the Fractal ION Gold, and 850w @12v.

@Alite did you replace all the old cables by the cables that came with the Sharkoon?

Did you do a clean install of Windows after swapping the motherboard and CPU?

Test without dGPU and connect the monitor to the motherboard.

4 hours ago, --SID-- said:

NO! The Sharkoon is way better. It has a decent platform from High Power/Sirfa, same used in the Fractal ION Gold, and 850w @12v.

@Alite did you replace all the old cables by the cables that came with the Sharkoon?

Did you do a clean install of Windows after swapping the motherboard and CPU?

Test without dGPU and connect the monitor to the motherboard.

https://en.sharkoon.com/product/SilStorCool0#specs

Ah, I was on the 650w unit's page! The 850w does indeed have the full 850w on its 12v rail, so no lying about specs there, I take back what I said!

Always suspicious of manufacturers who claim a particular wattage but the 12v is less, but you're right, this one looks good.

Update: I bought a "faulty" corsair sf750 for 10 European dollars and I was like what the hell let me try it. And it has been running without issues. Weird if the sharkoon is faulty since it was only 5 days old. I guess that's solved.