External enclosure

Daniel81

Hi everyone,

Very stupid question here.

I have a external GPU case that I am not using, nor will probably use in the future.

Is there any way to use it as a external HDD enclosure?

I was thinking to put a pcie sata card on it to connect 4 hard drives, however, dont know how would then feed that into the PC.
Any one knows if this is doable or anyone was able to do it?

eGPU enclosure: Razer X Core Black

Just sell the eGPU case and get a NAS instead. You might even make some profit here

Can you?

Probably. Unless Razer is doing some fancy proprietary stuffs it is at its core a thunderbolt to PCIe converter with a tiny power supply built in. 

Should you?
Probably not. If it's a prestige project, one of those "I wonder if this is possible" things, then sure, go for it. But by the time you are actually done buying all the converters and stuff you are way further in the hole with an ugly, and frankly kinda risky (data safety wise, not physical safety wise) solution than if you were to just sell the enclosure on ebay/CL and buy an old server tower with 2 4bay hotswaps and a raid card. 

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

Thanks guys.

Yeah thought as much, just checking what others think.

I will probably try and sell it and put the money towards a external enclosure.

Already have a old NAS (ReadyNas 104) its not very good but its enough for my needs, just need more storage as the NAS is already fully populated 4x18TB exos drives.

I have a small server running 24/7 so can just plug the external into a USB, cheaper than another NAS.

Many thanks for your thoughts to both of you 🙂