Having memory difficulty on a new ASRock X570 Steel Legend WiFi ax

Go to solution Solved by f688xt6,

So I managed to fix it. There was a couple of pins that were just slightly tweaked out of place. I noticed it trying to do a re-seat. Straightened them out with a razor blade, and we're golden. Thanks for the help!

Hey, I'm struggling with a build I just put together. I have a new X570 Steel Legend WiFi ax and a known good 3950x processor out of my other system. I have multiple kits of Corsair DDR4 3600 memory and no matter what I try I can't get the system to post at all with more than one stick of RAM in it. It's frustrating. It won't do anything with more than one stick. PSU is 750W and the little test video card in it is an RX570 8GB.

The system will boot with a stick of RAM in the second slot (proper) and in the first slot (improper, I know). But no matter how I configure it for dual channel, it won't boot. 2 slots populated (either ones) or all slots populated. This is Corsair Vengeance LPX and typically I have no issues with this stuff.

The only thing I can find is that the BIOS is trying to configure it in single channel at 2666 at 1.205v when it does successfully boot. Don't know if that's normal. Don't know what's going on. I'm probably missing something, so if anyone has any ideas, I'd be really appreciative.

20220308_205606.jpg

20220308_205613.jpg

20220308_205620.jpg

20220308_205920.jpg

20220308_205936.jpg

Windows 10 new installation. I did further tests and found out that it will boot in single channel with slots A1 and A2 populated, but if anything is in B1 or B2 the system won't POST.

It doesn't matter which RAM stick I put in either slot. 8GB or 16GB.

I tried the RAM out of my current system that is running, has the same model motherboard, and had that processor in it until a few weeks ago when I put a 5950x in.

All of this RAM has run with this model board and this specific processor previously. I have three of these motherboards. It's just this new one that has issues.

Seems like you did all the testing you should have. The only other thing I can suggest is some weird memory training took effect for timings so I'd try a cmos reset to flush any bad values to let it retrain. I heard this can happen if you initially populate all 4 slots too. Out of curiosity what BIOS version? Honestly might be worth trying lower AGESA (< 1.2.0.5) as that can also have weird problems.

I have heard reports of boards having good and bad DIMM slots. Unlikely but possible.

So I managed to fix it. There was a couple of pins that were just slightly tweaked out of place. I noticed it trying to do a re-seat. Straightened them out with a razor blade, and we're golden. Thanks for the help!