3070ti cheaper than 3070?

Cris.py

For past few weeks I've constantly seen 3070ti going for cheaper than 3070. Could someone explain the reason for this as it makes no sense in my mind.

I think they make more 3070 Ti's so they're cheaper. Just like they make a lot of 3060's but only a few 3060 Ti's

8 minutes ago, Pixelfie said:

I think they make more 3070 Ti's so they're cheaper. Just like they make a lot of 3060's but only a few 3060 Ti's

But wouldn't this make 3070 drop as well? Who would buy a worse card for more money just because it's harder to get? This is against all market logic 

4 minutes ago, Cris.py said:

But wouldn't this make 3070 drop as well? Who would buy a worse card for more money just because it's harder to get? This is against all market logic 

I'd say it will drop too, but later. Not many people buy them as they're the same price, but retailers can't sell their old stock for less than what they paid.

An important thing to remember is that the 3070 has some non-LHR versions, while the 3070 Ti is only available with LHR. So for mining, the 3070 can be quite a bit better, if you get a non-LHR version.

I'm guessing that's what's happening.

46 minutes ago, YoungBlade said:

An important thing to remember is that the 3070 has some non-LHR versions, while the 3070 Ti is only available with LHR. So for mining, the 3070 can be quite a bit better, if you get a non-LHR version.

it's safe to assume that all 3070 on the market now is LHR

non-LHR cards are probably sold out ages ago (last non-LHR card i've seen in my market is around august 2021)

2 hours ago, Cris.py said:

For past few weeks I've constantly seen 3070ti going for cheaper than 3070. Could someone explain the reason for this as it makes no sense in my mind.

this is probably due to:

1) slow update of prices, especially when GPU nowadays are dropping in price real quick

2) old stock costs more from distributors, so it doesnt make sense to sell at a loss

whatever the case may be, as a consumer, buy the one that makes most sense

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

35 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

it's safe to assume that all 3070 on the market now is LHR

non-LHR cards are probably sold out ages ago (last non-LHR card i've seen in my market is around august 2021)

We were not told where these prices have been seen. I am assuming this is eBay and Marketplace sellers, where you can easily find used 3070 non-LHR cards selling for more than 3070 Ti cards. If this is retailers, then other explanations are required.

1 hour ago, YoungBlade said:

We were not told where these prices have been seen. I am assuming this is eBay and Marketplace sellers, where you can easily find used 3070 non-LHR cards selling for more than 3070 Ti cards. If this is retailers, then other explanations are required.

I am talking about retailers here, not 2nd hand or scalpers!

9 minutes ago, Cris.py said:

I am talking about retailers here, not 2nd hand or scalpers!

Then those retailers are slow to update prices, and anyone buying the 3070 for more are foolish. The 3070 Ti is about 10% faster, and so should cost up to 10% more. No knowledgeable buyer will take the 3070 if it costs more.

Hopefully, the 3070s will rot on the shelf for a while, and the prices will drop to a sane level.