Does my PSU have surge protection or am I just misreading it.

etienneunai

I've got a HP Z440 PC and the manual states that the proprietary PSU is surge tolerant up to 2000V. Is this the same as surge protection? I've got it plugged into a cheap surge-protected power-board but is that even necessary with this PSU?

image.png.af6869acfbc913ed9109295a29906b9e.png

Does my PSU have surge protection

Most PSU built in 15 years have a form of surge protectors one way or another its about how sensitive it is and how well is it at cutting power without damaging parts.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

Components that protect the equipment from surges are sacrificial (they get damaged by the spikes and would eventually fail), so to have a continuous protection against frequent spikes you gotta have a lot of them. While in a PSU there's typically just a single relatively low energy MOV. I'm not sure why but i'm gonna assume due to space constrains. Whereas in any decent dedicated surge protector there would be at least a few of those, usually with higher energy capacity, and in some also a different type of surge protection component - GDT. So if you have frequent surges and want continuous protection it would always be a good idea to get a surge protector even if the PSU has some surge protection itself too.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply