Driver installation order?

officedemon

What is the correct order to install drivers after clean (windows) installation?

motherboard drivers?
chipset drivers?
Video card drivers?
windows update last?

Wifi or Ethernet driver then just download some other program to handle the rest

thats how I usually do it but I’m an idiot who paid for iobit lifetime licenses, to be fair it works

Regardless, internet first so you can get everything else

video/graphics to get the display resolution working, then start with the easiest first like peripheral specific software, motherboard stuff, and leave known problematic drivers til last so you’re not fighting with them in 800x600 with barely functional internet 

interesting, in the past i've downloaded the drivers to a usb drive i just want to know what order to load them in

Doesn't matter.

I usually install, let Windows update get most of them, then install GPU driver and anything missing. On AMD you maybe want to install chipset as well.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

It's not the Windows 98 era anymore. Order doesn't matter and Windows 10 and 11 usually are installing drivers on their own in the background the whole time you think you're "helping" anyways.

Back in the 95 and 98 times you had to be careful, you could cause all sorts of conflicts if you installed your sound device before your video card drivers for instance. Now? Not a problem and it hasn't been since XP really.

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

Doesn't matter. Hasn't mattered after like XP. With Win7, you could have several installers running at the same time, and waiting for Windows updates to prompt for mandatory reboot.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv