My hard drive is slowing down my laptop and i cant access it

superkermit33

i need help because this is my second drive that slows down my laptop and i no longer can access it i literally am using this as a last resort because i have  no idea what to do

If its an external drive then plug it into another machine to confirm the drive is functional.

2 minutes ago, superkermit33 said:

i need help because this is my second drive that slows down my laptop and i no longer can access it i literally am using this as a last resort because i have  no idea what to do

Do you mean you can't access the the data while using the laptop? Or do you mean you can't physically access the hard drive when opening up the laptop?

But now, fellow gamers, that was it for me. Please keep in mind, that this is just my personal opionion and I am no expert. Your system shall be cooled forever, see you next time.

6 minutes ago, emosun said:

If its an external drive then plug it into another machine to confirm the drive is functional.

i tried it and i have the same problem

6 minutes ago, JohanKjeldahl7 said:

Do you mean you can't access the the data while using the laptop? Or do you mean you can't physically access the hard drive when opening up the laptop?

while using my laptop?

3 minutes ago, superkermit33 said:

while using my laptop?

Oh I didn't realize the Hard drive is an external drive... 

If the external drive doesn't work with other cables or with other computers the issue is very likely the hard drive itself.

But now, fellow gamers, that was it for me. Please keep in mind, that this is just my personal opionion and I am no expert. Your system shall be cooled forever, see you next time.

1 minute ago, JohanKjeldahl7 said:

Oh I didn't realize the Hard drive is an external drive... 

If the external drive doesn't work with other cables or with other computers the issue is very likely the hard drive itself.

i the first external that i got just kept clicking and then i bought an internal drive and used a dock and it also broke but it isnt clicking

7 minutes ago, superkermit33 said:

i the first external that i got just kept clicking and then i bought an internal drive and used a dock and it also broke but it isnt clicking

I am sorry, I don't know how to resolve this issue. Good luck with your further troubleshooting!

Well you may have more than one issue with so many variables

The first drive clicking is obviously a dead drive.

But if you are currently using a dock to access an internal drive docked in it then the dock might be faulty and the drive could be totally fine.

Have you checked disk management to see if the drive is functional and simply not formatted?

1 minute ago, emosun said:

Well you may have more than one issue with so many variables

The first drive clicking is obviously a dead drive.

But if you are currently using a dock to access an internal drive docked in it then the dock might be faulty and the drive could be totally fine.

Have you checked disk management to see if the drive is functional and simply not formatted?

this drive that im curently using i have been using for 5 months so im pretty sure its formatted and accessing disk management would take years to load 

the drive slows down every windows app

3 minutes ago, superkermit33 said:

this drive that im curently using i have been using for 5 months so im pretty sure its formatted and accessing disk management would take years to load 

the drive slows down every windows app

So this drive when plugged into a 100% seperate machine yields the same results of almost halting the os?

If you can take the drive out of the dock and plug in the dock with no drive at all to see what happens

Also try the drive installed internally connected to a sata port and remove the dock as a variable

2 minutes ago, emosun said:

So this drive when plugged into a 100% seperate machine yields the same results of almost halting the os?

If you can take the drive out of the dock and plug in the dock with no drive at all to see what happens

Also try the drive installed internally connected to a sata port and remove the dock as a variable

when i remove the drive from the dock and try using the dock it works fine nothing is slow 
i have a laptop i dont know how to "internally connect to a sata port and remove the dock as a variable"

Yeah youll need a desktop to connect the drive to a regular motherboard sata controller.

Do you have another drive to test in the dock? Did you actually plug this drive setup into another computer or was that just backburnered because there isnt another machine to try it on?

Ive been on forums for a long time and many times people will avoid certain diagnostic avenues by saying they tried them already when the reality is they didnt have a means to try them. So if you didnt actually try this drive on another machine let us know as it will determine if the drive or the computer is at fault