will this be compatible?

StalePie42

I am building a new system will all new components except for a gtx 460 I have been told that this card is not compatible with UEFI bios does that mean I can't use UEFI bios does will it even work with my motherboard also, I was planning on dual booting windows and Linux will that be possible. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

That card works with a uefi bios no problem. It's the opposite for new cards that won't work in very old boards that do not have uefi. Your card will work just fine.

1 minute ago, jaslion said:

That card works with a uefi bios no problem. It's the opposite for new cards that won't work in very old boards that do not have uefi. Your card will work just fine.

I looked it up and all results say it won't work what do they mean by that?

1 minute ago, StalePie42 said:

I looked it up and all results say it won't work what do they mean by that?

That they are wrong? A gtx 460 is a pcie gpu. Pcie is by default forwards and backwards compatible. The card will work in your new system.

1 minute ago, jaslion said:

That they are wrong? A gtx 460 is a pcie gpu. Pcie is by default forwards and backwards compatible. The card will work in your new system.

I know it will work but I am just confused by some people saying it doesn't support uefi bios.

2 hours ago, StalePie42 said:

I know it will work but I am just confused by some people saying it doesn't support uefi bios.

Honestly same at this point. It will work so not sure why people are saying that.

1 hour ago, jaslion said:

Honestly same at this point. It will work so not sure why people are saying that.

so it should work normally as if i had just installed a modern graphics card and I won't have to change uefi to bios or any thing like that ?

25 minutes ago, StalePie42 said:

so it should work normally as if i had just installed a modern graphics card and I won't have to change uefi to bios or any thing like that ?

it will work like normal. No changes needed.

12 hours ago, StalePie42 said:

Can you link to place where they spread misinformation? It could be that they are mistaken by the question. Like if you are searching Linux forums, it might be more about Nvidia driver issues on Linux that pure hardware working with UEFI BIOS (which is mobo's firmware interface). Also, this card would work with legacy BIOS too. Maybe the issue is related to someone making confusion to AGP cards, but those are over 15 years old tech at this point.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

2 hours ago, SavageNeo said:

well no. your bios have to be legacy in order to support the gtx 460. 

but yes after the bios is legacy, dual booting between win 10 and win 11 is possible, but you cant get image from your gpu in win 11.

2 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

Can you link to place where they spread misinformation? It could be that they are mistaken by the question. Like if you are searching Linux forums, it might be more about Nvidia driver issues on Linux that pure hardware working with UEFI BIOS (which is mobo's firmware interface). Also, this card would work with legacy BIOS too. Maybe the issue is related to someone making confusion to AGP cards, but those are over 15 years old tech at this point.

12 minutes ago, StalePie42 said:

Hmm. So my knowledge has a hole. But the whole thing is confusing. Apparently card, for odd reasons, doesn't support UEFI features. Meaning that your board must support Legacy/UEFI hybrid booting if you want to use UEFI features (faster boot time pretty much).

It should still be fine. Though I have not had that old card with UEFI, my GPU at the time of mobo upgrade was GTX560Ti. Which according to one source isn't UEFI compatible.

Main thing is that Win11 apparently doesn't support it. Which also is odd, since GPUs are supported with drivers.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

26 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

Hmm. So my knowledge has a hole. But the whole thing is confusing. Apparently card, for odd reasons, doesn't support UEFI features. Meaning that your board must support Legacy/UEFI hybrid booting if you want to use UEFI features (faster boot time pretty much).

It should still be fine. Though I have not had that old card with UEFI, my GPU at the time of mobo upgrade was GTX560Ti. Which according to one source isn't UEFI compatible.

Main thing is that Win11 apparently doesn't support it. Which also is odd, since GPUs are supported with drivers.

Thanks for your help from my research I have come to pretty much the same conclusion either way it seems like the computer will work which is what matters and besides a family member is thinking of upgrading from a gtx 980 so I think eventually I will get a uefi compatible card.

Again, thanks for your help