Display Port breaking multi monitor setups

SG6947

So after years of trying to find a fix for this issue and being unable to. I am here asking for help. 

Running a multi-monitor setup, I find its not viable to use display port. Not all 3 screens are always needed, but if you turn one off windows disconnects it and dumps everything from it onto another display. This disconnects any audio output it may contain etc, which causes leads to popups from such things as discord when you turn it back on, looking to change to different audio device etc..

Has anyone found a way to disable PnP on display port. Its been discussed many many times across many forums for years now with nobody finding a proper fix (other than covering the pin which is very difficult to do on a display port cable. 

Its an extremely annoying "feature" when you run a true multi-monitor setup. With different icons on different taskbars and window positions saved on different monitors etc. Having to set all that back up everytime you turn a monitor off and on is very annoying.  

PnP display port is killing true multi-monitor setups for many people. 

If anyone has found a solution I would be very grateful

this isn't really a DP thing it's a windows thing... it's one of those shitty interactions that they are saying they're finally fixing with W11 but i don't think anybody wants that trade off.

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
    32GB Corsair RGB 3600MT/s CAS18
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
    WD black NVMe SSD 500GB & 1TB samsung Sata ssd & x 1TB WD blue & x 3TB Seagate
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)
    1440p 21:9 100Hz

It is only on display port though. Its not an issue with HDMI or any other connection type. Just display port. For years now Microsoft have said you can fix it in the registry, with Microsoft representatives claiming this reg key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\TMM - "UseIViewHelper", can be altered to stop it happening. That reg entry was removed after windows 7. Nvidia allow you to disable it with Quatro cards, but the options to do so are not in the normal control panel for standard card users. 
A number of people have made plenty of money making hardware dongle's that disable it, but they all seem to be outdated and only do 75hz.

Cant use freesync on nvidia unless you use display port, which is another annoying issue of the bug. 

The W11 fix is said to only be partial, it will keep your browser and explorer windows but still moves anything minimised.

I personally have more issues with my laptop thinking the external HDMI display is still connected and constantly opening windows offscreen.

the repositioning happens only partially on my desktop, the icons don't come back to position properly but the windows do (on W10). that's why i feel like it's some windows bs not intrinsically the connection type.

and my laptop case annoys me infinitely more.

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
    32GB Corsair RGB 3600MT/s CAS18
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
    WD black NVMe SSD 500GB & 1TB samsung Sata ssd & x 1TB WD blue & x 3TB Seagate
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)
    1440p 21:9 100Hz