PC won't boot after cleaning + new parts

Arcanyx

Hi, my 6-year-old PC is not able to boot after some event in the last 6-8 hours. I've provided as much details as I could below and am looking for some advice on this. My current hypothesis is that the motherboard is dead.

Specs:

MOBO: Asus H110M-D

CPU: i5-6500

GPU: MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4GB

PSU: Super Flower 80+ Silver 550W

RAM: G.Skill Aegis DDR4 2133

Prelude:

I recently got passed a used but fully functioning GTX 1070 TI, and was going to upgrade my current PC with it. Also to be added to the PC was a new Arctic 12PWM outtake fan to replace my current fan (which was getting noisy).

Today, this was what happened in chronological order:

1. Took the entire PC out to the yard and used a blower vacuum to clear dust from the case (yes I know this is a red flag, just need confirmation if this was the main reason the PC won't boot up).

2. Proceeded to change out the case fan and the GPU for the newer parts.

3. Attempted to turn on the PC. Attempt #1 - failed.

*Ethernet slot light indicator is on, everything else non-responsive (no fans turning, no other lights lit, no sounds from any component).

4. Removed the connectors to the new parts before trying to turn on. Attempt #2 - failed.

*Removed all other components as well, leaving only Mobo connected to PSU.

5. Reattached mobo to a different PSU before reattempting boot. Attempt #3 - failed.

6. Reattached front IO panel to different case before reattempting boot. Attempt #4 - failed.

7. Tried to manually boot by shorting the PWR connectors for front IO. Attempt #5 - failed.

At this point I just ran out of ideas, so I sort of assumed that the problem is the motherboard having power to show a lit Ethernet slot, but probably damaged somewhere that it doesn't boot. Of course I think the main culprit for the damage would be using the vacuum in reverse to clean the dust, which in hindsight was something I wouldn't have even done in the first place if it wasn't for a suggestion by someone I was consulting. But anyway, hindsight is 20/20.

Any advice would be appreciated, especially before I head out to make some new purchases. Thank you.

any access to a different mobo to test with? sounds like the mobo is bad to me as well. while using a shop vac isn't something i would recommend, i wouldn't think it's that risky either. did you check the board for any loose/missing components? not sure if it would be enough pressure to knock anything loose. static discharge is also possible, but unlikely afaik, unless the nozzle was close/touching the board.

13 hours ago, bmx6454 said:

any access to a different mobo to test with? sounds like the mobo is bad to me as well. while using a shop vac isn't something i would recommend, i wouldn't think it's that risky either. did you check the board for any loose/missing components? not sure if it would be enough pressure to knock anything loose. static discharge is also possible, but unlikely afaik, unless the nozzle was close/touching the board.

Yeah so I had a spare older mobo+CPU that's a different socket, tested it out and it worked perfectly with all the components attached to it, so we have narrowed it down to three possible things:

1. Mobo

2. CPU

3. CPU fan (stock)

Just wondering whether the 6500 is salvageable. If so i might just find a secondhand board to reuse it.

Thanks for the feedback and advice!