do I need 32GB ram? and Dying Light 2 CPU usage 100%

Deadroth

Hello guys, I hope someone can help me. I am struggling with 2 problems, my DL2 is using my CPU constantly on 99-100% while GPU runs at 60-80% (I play on 1440p 144Hz monitor, all on max and DLSS on balanced, and I get only 70-100fps and stutters because of CPU) and second thing is that I dont know if I need to upgrade my RAM to 32GB. I plan to start streaming on Twitch and I see that in games like DL2 or God of War I get about 12-15GB ram usage while everything closed.

Do I really need 32GB as "futureproofing" or is it waste of cash, or is maybe Win struggling and swapping/compriming stuff to get in that 16GB? I use right now 2x 8GB sticks of G.skill trident 3200MHz.

Is it possible that my CPU sucks or my SSD (infamous 660p QLC), or my setup is badly balanced? (I made all the choices for components so maybe they are bad together)

my setup is ASUS TUF B560M, 11700F + Cooler master Aio block, RTX3080, 16GB trident 3200Mhz and Intel 660p 2TB

9 minutes ago, Deadroth said:

Hello guys, I hope someone can help me. I am struggling with 2 problems, my DL2 is using my CPU constantly on 99-100% while GPU runs at 60-80% (I play on 1440p 144Hz monitor, all on max and DLSS on balanced, and I get only 70-100fps and stutters because of CPU) and second thing is that I dont know if I need to upgrade my RAM to 32GB. I plan to start streaming on Twitch and I see that in games like DL2 or God of War I get about 12-15GB ram usage while everything closed.

Do I really need 32GB as "futureproofing" or is it waste of cash, or is maybe Win struggling and swapping/compriming stuff to get in that 16GB? I use right now 2x 8GB sticks of G.skill trident 3200MHz.

Is it possible that my CPU sucks or my SSD (infamous 660p QLC), or my setup is badly balanced? (I made all the choices for components so maybe they are bad together)

my setup is ASUS TUF B560M, 11700F + Cooler master Aio block, RTX3080, 16GB trident 3200Mhz and Intel 660p 2TB

If your at like 12-15gb usage TOTAL, so just like the percentage at the top, then your likely fine.

If the game itself is getting to 15gb, the number directly on the game, i would recommend moving up to 32 if you want to start running extra programs in the background to.

The reason for the first point is, windows just reserves ram so often nothing can be taking up more than 1gb and your at like 80 percent usage, but when you run something which uses a lot of ram, windows will give up its allocation, leaving ram to given to the game.

But if the game itself is at 15gb. I doubt your streaming + windows will run in the remaining 1gb. I would upgrade.

EDIT: Sorry, thats the ram thing. i forgot the other thing.

If your cpu is at 100% and your gpu is at 80%, that is mostly fine. One of the two has to be at 100%, if not both, and the cloer they are to each other, the less of a 'bottleneck' there is. Of course each different application will but different amounts of load on each device, so its highly dependent. The amount of ram a game is taking up shouldn't have anything to do with your cpu or gpu utilization.

Edit: Oh if your stuttering, its possible that may be due to ram but could be a different issue too. Is it in most games or only in god of war?

13 minutes ago, The Torrent said:

If your cpu is at 100% and your gpu is at 80%, that is mostly fine. One of the two has to be at 100%, if not both, and the cloer they are to each other, the less of a 'bottleneck' there is. Of course each different application will but different amounts of load on each device, so its highly dependent. The amount of ram a game is taking up shouldn't have anything to do with your cpu or gpu utilization.

Edit: Oh if your stuttering, its possible that may be due to ram but could be a different issue too. Is it in most games or only in god of war?

Heavily disagree. 

This game with an 11700/3080 at 1440p should NOT be seeing 100% CPU usage, not a chance. Its a little bizarre that one would think that given the hardware involved.  Something is very wrong. Stuttering is most definitely caused by the CPU being at capacity and not being able to keep the GPU fed. WHY this is is a mystery so far but that is not normal for that hardware at that resolution.

An ideal situation is the bulk of the load being entirely on the GPU, not the CPU. My experience with this game, which runs incredibly well, is 99% GPU usage and ~30-40% CPU usage. Granted I'm using a 3440x1440 panel, not 2560x1440 and a very different CPU (5800x) but similar in architecture and were at the time of release, compared against eachother.  Something is very wrong here.

Should I be in this situation my first step would be a simple task manager check to see what process is actually using my CPU, then ensure my CPU isn't overheating any/or heavily underclocking, therefore not performing as it should. 

31 minutes ago, Deadroth said:

my DL2 is using my CPU constantly on 99-100%

Probably need a CPU upgrade. You don't really want you're CPU to be at 100% utilization because one weird windows background task going off will make the game stutter like crazy. There is also no way to adjust settings to reduce CPU usage, while the GPU usage can be adjusted in the settings.

I get about 12-15GB ram usage while everything closed.

in struggling and swapping/compriming stuff to get in that 16GB

Yes you do need more ram. If you're hitting the top 80% of your ram then windows is doing ram compression and SSD memory swapping to compensate the lack of ram. I wouldn't be surprised if you jump to 18-20GB of ram usage if you add another 16GB of ram. I had a similar situation where I thought my computer was only using 8-12GB of ram, but when I added another 32GB (yes, I know overkill) it easily jumped to 14-18GB usage.

Yea I would add more ram first, and see if it helps. I have a hard time figuring out why the CPU would bottleneck the GPU this much. I doubt the SSD is the issue too. It should only affect load times, not in game frame rate and pacing.

Is MCE enabled in your BIOS? I really don't think you should be seeing 100% CPU usage in this set up with 1440p in any game

Edited by Jonathan Lee
CPU question

19 hours ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

Heavily disagree. 

This game with an 11700/3080 at 1440p should NOT be seeing 100% CPU usage, not a chance. Its a little bizarre that one would think that given the hardware involved.  Something is very wrong. Stuttering is most definitely caused by the CPU being at capacity and not being able to keep the GPU fed. WHY this is is a mystery so far but that is not normal for that hardware at that resolution.

An ideal situation is the bulk of the load being entirely on the GPU, not the CPU. My experience with this game, which runs incredibly well, is 99% GPU usage and ~30-40% CPU usage. Granted I'm using a 3440x1440 panel, not 2560x1440 and a very different CPU (5800x) but similar in architecture and were at the time of release, compared against eachother.  Something is very wrong here.

Should I be in this situation my first step would be a simple task manager check to see what process is actually using my CPU, then ensure my CPU isn't overheating any/or heavily underclocking, therefore not performing as it should. 

What? If the gpu is at 80 percent, then there is no issue? Why shouldn't the cpu be at 100%, something has to be. What, it should be the 3080 rendering 1440p? No......

I understand if he said cpu is at 100 gpu is at like 10 or 20, but he said 60-80.

The DLSS he's running is also likely to reduce GPU utilization because CPU is already at max and gpu has headway.

OP try running the game at 4k, likely your cpu will still be at 100% and your gpu will get far closer to 100% as well.

Hello guys. BIG THANKS to everyone, especially Jonathan Lee! I turned off MCE in BIOS and voila, my CPU usage went to 60% while playing DL2.

About those RAMs, you were all right! I bought today another 2x8GB of those Tridents 3200MHz, and suddenly my RAM usage on DL2 with opened Chrome, Twitch studio and Spotify went to 20GB (plus, they look gorgeous in full stack with those LEDs)

Again big thanks everyone!

16 minutes ago, Deadroth said:

Hello guys. BIG THANKS to everyone, especially Jonathan Lee! I turned off MCE in BIOS and voila, my CPU usage went to 60% while playing DL2.

Wait you turned it off? That's weird so you were getting 100% utilization with MCE on? Should be reverse cause MCE is the boost algorithm for Intel so it should be boosting your CPU's speed. Maybe you were being thermal throttled earlier. If this solution works without losing performance though, I would stick with it

1 hour ago, Deadroth said:

About those RAMs, you were all right! I bought today another 2x8GB of those Tridents 3200MHz, and suddenly my RAM usage on DL2 with opened Chrome, Twitch studio and Spotify went to 20GB (plus, they look gorgeous in full stack with those LEDs)

Again big thanks everyone!

If turning MCE off helped, that likely means you had (possibly still have) thermal issues. Check your temps while gaming, there may be a deeper problem like incorrectly fitted cooler or something.

My CPU is 11700F with locked internal GPU and no overclocking possibilities, so maybe my TUF was trying to overclock it?

I've measured my temps with Core Temp and while my CPU was at 100% usage my temps were 68C after heavy mindless speed running through densiest part of city.

With MCE off I am at 68C with usage of 60%. I can't really hear my cooler on CPU load 100% because it is almost always same quiet, I assume it is installed correctly as it maintained my CPU always under 70C even on 100% load.

Do you guys think that my CPU is "F" caused the problem?