Not Powering On When Shorting PWR Button

Go to solution Solved by Carl DaBeast,

Whelp I'm not sure what component it was but it is working now.

Might have been the CPU as when I pulled off the cooler the CPU was stuck to it and I noticed that one of the pins was very slightly bent.

Was able to carefully bend it back and it's working now. I'm not sure if this was the issue, nor if the pin was bent before I placed it onto the motherboard the first time.

All in all thanks for the help to narrow down what the issue could be!

I've finally received all the parts for a for a pc I was planning to use as a home server. I've placed the motherboard on it's box to test that all the components work before putting it in the case.

My issue is that when I short the power button pins fort the front panel connections nothing happens. None of the fans spin for the CPU cooler, case fan, or GPU cooler.

I know the motherboard is getting power as there are a few LED's that light up when the power supply is switched on.

Any help to diagnose this issue is appreciated.

Components:

• AMD Ryzen 5 3600
  • ASUS PRIME B450M-A II     (Motherboard)
  • 2x16GB Crucial DDR4 ECC ram 
  • Corsair SF750 SFX PSU
  • MSI GT710     (cheapo card for video output)

Just to make sure. You are shorting these two pins, right?

image.png.d3d7f1c219e335422d50d1edd3fce0d9.png

If you want me to answer, please use the quote function or tag me. I dont get notified unless you do

24 minutes ago, Tegneren said:

Just to make sure. You are shorting these two pins, right?

image.png.d3d7f1c219e335422d50d1edd3fce0d9.png

Yes,

I even tried the reset pins but it didn't do anything.

45 minutes ago, Carl DaBeast said:

Yes,

I even tried the reset pins but it didn't do anything.

try testing the PSU with the "Paper clip test" by following this guide: https://www.silverstonetek.com/downloads/QA/PSU/PSU-Paper Clip-EN.pdf

The PSU fan should normally spin up doing that if its OK, but you can also connect something else with a visual indicator to it, like a fan or something, just to be sure.

If the PSU is OK, try:

• Unseating and re-seating all components and power cables to make sure they are seated correctly.
  • Test without the GPU just to se if it spins up without it
  • only use one RAM stick at a time in different slots

If you want me to answer, please use the quote function or tag me. I dont get notified unless you do

1 hour ago, Tegneren said:

try testing the PSU with the "Paper clip test" by following this guide: https://www.silverstonetek.com/downloads/QA/PSU/PSU-Paper Clip-EN.pdf

The PSU fan should normally spin up doing that if its OK, but you can also connect something else with a visual indicator to it, like a fan or something, just to be sure.

If the PSU is OK, try:

• Unseating and re-seating all components and power cables to make sure they are seated correctly.
  • Test without the GPU just to se if it spins up without it
  • only use one RAM stick at a time in different slots

I did the paper clip test and the PSU fan started spinning, so I am assuming that it is working properly.

Tested without GPU and still nothing.

One ram stick also changes nothing.

Will try to reseat everything.

Whelp I'm not sure what component it was but it is working now.

Might have been the CPU as when I pulled off the cooler the CPU was stuck to it and I noticed that one of the pins was very slightly bent.

Was able to carefully bend it back and it's working now. I'm not sure if this was the issue, nor if the pin was bent before I placed it onto the motherboard the first time.

All in all thanks for the help to narrow down what the issue could be!