Fixing my PSU or Buying a new PSU

AFantasyHero
Go to solution Solved by Juular,

First of all, if you decide to fix it, be aware that it's very dangerous to work on an electrical equipment like that if you don't know what are you doing. There's a big high voltage capacitor inside with potentially lethal amount of energy stored in it. You should wait at least a couple of days after it was plugged in the mains the last time before opening it to allow the energy to dissipate.

This looks like a CWT design, so chances are (since it failed after only 5 years) it uses a Yate Loon rifle bearing fan (CWT tends to use in budget offerings) which aren't all that good. You can try to replace the fan but it's a tricky ordeal, it would be easier to just lube it. It would then last maybe another year or two and then you'll need to do this again tho.

If you decide to replace the whole PSU, keep in mind that there are zero reviews on any Green PSU so we don't know what fans they use and whether they wouldn't fail in any of their high-end models in the next 5 years either. Although GP-A-UK Plus looks better on paper than both GP-A-GED and GP-A-ESD and Green Globe Fan FDB bearing fan in the photos, which is good, if that's what they use, so i vote for that.

Hello!
Recently my PSU's fan has started rattling. I have been using it for about 5 years. 
It is a PSU from a Local Brand in Iran. (GP580A-ESDhttps://en.green.ir/products/power-supply/gp580a-esd
It is a reputable brand with decent products and warranty for affordable prices in the local markets.

1. I was wondering if I should change my PSU or get it fixed?
2. Can I fix it by myself or do I need a technician?
3. If I need to replace my PSU, which one of these is a better candidate? 
80 Bronze (GP600A-GEDhttps://green.ir/products/power-supply/gp600a-ged
80 Gold (
GP650A-UK Plushttps://en.green.ir/products/power-supply/gp650a-uk-plus
The Gold is %30 more expensive than the Bronze one. Should I pay the extra to get it or not? (I will be using it for gaming and my uptime is like 8-10 hours per day - Mostly Idling)

First of all, if you decide to fix it, be aware that it's very dangerous to work on an electrical equipment like that if you don't know what are you doing. There's a big high voltage capacitor inside with potentially lethal amount of energy stored in it. You should wait at least a couple of days after it was plugged in the mains the last time before opening it to allow the energy to dissipate.

This looks like a CWT design, so chances are (since it failed after only 5 years) it uses a Yate Loon rifle bearing fan (CWT tends to use in budget offerings) which aren't all that good. You can try to replace the fan but it's a tricky ordeal, it would be easier to just lube it. It would then last maybe another year or two and then you'll need to do this again tho.

If you decide to replace the whole PSU, keep in mind that there are zero reviews on any Green PSU so we don't know what fans they use and whether they wouldn't fail in any of their high-end models in the next 5 years either. Although GP-A-UK Plus looks better on paper than both GP-A-GED and GP-A-ESD and Green Globe Fan FDB bearing fan in the photos, which is good, if that's what they use, so i vote for that.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

17 minutes ago, Juular said:

This looks like a CWT design, so chances are (since it failed after only 5 years) it uses a Yate Loon rifle bearing fan which aren't all that good. You can try to replace the fan but it's a tricky ordeal, it would be easier to just lube it. It would then last maybe another year or two and then you'll need to do this again tho.

Thank you for the extensive answer!
Just one more question!

Will I be able to use the PSU with the rattling fan for a bit longer if it doesn't bother me? Or will it cause problems?

2 hours ago, AFantasyHero said:

Will I be able to use the PSU with the rattling fan for a bit longer if it doesn't bother me? Or will it cause problems?

As long as it still spins, and such still provides at least some cooling, it should be fine for the time being.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply