Upgraded CPU - temps went up

oi you

Haven't actually tried high loads but upon upgrading my 10700k to a 11700k, i noticed a ~5 degree increase in idle temps. Is that natural for a gen 11 vs gen 10 or is something wrong? The only other thing I did (shouldn't be related) was install another M2 drive.

The AIO radiator is warm, so I imagine I didn't break the pump somehow? Not sure how to check that. I also made sure before I locked the AIO back in place that the paste covered the whole surface of the CPU (but it might be a tad thicker than normal, is that what caused the temp increase?)

Just now, oi you said:

Haven't actually tried high loads but upon upgrading my 10700k to a 11700k, i noticed a ~5 degree increase in idle temps. Is that natural for a gen 11 vs gen 10 or is something wrong? The only other thing I did (shouldn't be related) was install another M2 drive.

The AIO radiator is warm, so I imagine I didn't break the pump somehow? Not sure how to check that. I also made sure before I locked the AIO back in place that the paste covered the whole surface of the CPU (but it might be a tad thicker than normal, is that what caused the temp increase?)

Sounds normal, 11th gen ran a fair bit warmer than 10th gen really under idle even, it was a 10nm process produced on 14nm. It sounds normal to me. 

Yours faithfully

1 hour ago, Lord Nicoll said:

Sounds normal, 11th gen ran a fair bit warmer than 10th gen really under idle even, it was a 10nm process produced on 14nm. It sounds normal to me. 

phew, i was so scared i broke something when i took it apart to change the cpu. thanks

Yep, sounds normal. How much thermal paste you apply on the CPU is not very relevant unless you really skimp on it and it doesn't cover the whole surface. I would only start worying if temps went beyond 90°C for sustained periods. Then maybe I would consider replacing the cooler for something better.