PALIT GEFORCE RTX 3080TI GAMING PRO LOUD FAN PROBLEMS

Go to solution Solved by RMTM,
21 minutes ago, Rippers45 said:

Finally i found a fix after so i actually just tinkered around with the temp limit and power limit, i reduced the power limit of the fan and reduced the temp limit and that did it no more engine like sounds the fan is now quiet i tried doom eternal maxed out at the temp is staying around 65-70c, the only question i have is if i reduce the temp limit to 74c and the power limit to 61c can that damage my card 

No. It will not damage your card. If ever you have adjusted anything outside the cards capabilities. It will just freeze and/or restart. Then you'll just have to reset your cards settings and do some adjustments again. Until you find your stable settings.

So I have had my RTX 3080TI for a while now and the performance has been awesome as expected but I have had issues when it comes to the fans on this thing, so I don't know if anyone else who owns these cards have these issues but when I go on certain games and at random times the fans randomly start to speed up to a point it sounds like its taking off then slowly goes back to the normal fan speed.

I have MSI after burner installed as well so I have tried tinkering with the fan speed and the curve but still come to the same results, I don't know if its because it's generally a hot card but I have an open case a thermal take on and as you can imagine I can hear it pretty well even through my headset it's getting to a point now where I am seriously debating on buying a new brand

Even playing the likes of God of war on ultra I am getting 65 - 70C and the fans speed goes insane I have honestly ran out of idea's to why at random intervals the fans ramp up then instantly come down I am just wondering if anyone else have issue's like this

I have attached my GPU information when the issues actually start and i just want to know if these readings are normal because the fans are going mental on certain games its driving me mad 

GPU-Z Sensor Log.txt

I don't know if Afterburner had the option to gradually change the fans' rate over a certain amount of time; if it has that, try it - the idea being that the heatsink has some thermal capacity and should be fine if the fans ramp up over 5 seconds instead of instantly.

Consider trying FanControl if you haven't - it has those options (but if you do, make sure you disable or at least stop of every other software/service that controls fans, otherwise you risk getting "stuck" fans).

Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 5900X | NH-U14S | Asus X Noctua RTX 3070 | MP600 | 850 EVO 250 GB | Caviar Black 5 TB | SS-860 XP2 | Define R5 Black | Thaulab Varna IV -> Objective 2 -> Sennheiser HD-555/AKG K7XX/Audiotechnica ATH-M40x

1 hour ago, Rippers45 said:

So I have had my RTX 3080TI for a while now and the performance has been awesome as expected but I have had issues when it comes to the fans on this thing, so I don't know if anyone else who owns these cards have these issues but when I go on certain games and at random times the fans randomly start to speed up to a point it sounds like its taking off then slowly goes back to the normal fan speed.

I have MSI after burner installed as well so I have tried tinkering with the fan speed and the curve but still come to the same results, I don't know if its because it's generally a hot card but I have an open case a thermal take on and as you can imagine I can hear it pretty well even through my headset it's getting to a point now where I am seriously debating on buying a new brand

Even playing the likes of God of war on ultra I am getting 65 - 70C and the fans speed goes insane I have honestly ran out of idea's to why at random intervals the fans ramp up then instantly come down I am just wondering if anyone else have issue's like this

I have attached my GPU information when the issues actually start and i just want to know if these readings are normal because the fans are going mental on certain games its driving me mad 

GPU-Z Sensor Log.txt 984.59 kB · 1 download

Based from your GPU sensor log, Your fan only starts to run when your gpu reaches an average of 60degC. And turns off again when it reaches 50degC. 

Try these:

- Uninstall any app/software that your using for your card.

- Leave just the GeForce Experience (for Game-ready driver installation and updates) and Afterburner.

- Reboot your PC.

- In the Afterburner, under Fan tab of Settings - Enable user defined software automatic fan control. In the fan curve, set to start at least 30% fan speed at 30degC and play with the rest of the control settings up to 100% speed at 80degC. This settings will help your gpu fans not to get overwhelmed when it needs to cool your RTX3080Ti. So it will not create a grinding sound of plane that is about to take off.

Apply settings and play your games and observe what difference it made.

34 minutes ago, killchain said:

I don't know if Afterburner had the option to gradually change the fans' rate over a certain amount of time; if it has that, try it - the idea being that the heatsink has some thermal capacity and should be fine if the fans ramp up over 5 seconds instead of instantly.

Consider trying FanControl if you haven't - it has those options (but if you do, make sure you disable or at least stop of every other software/service that controls fans, otherwise you risk getting "stuck" fans).

Ill give that a go and see if there are any changes 

28 minutes ago, RMTM said:

Based from your GPU sensor log, Your fan only starts to run when your gpu reaches an average of 60degC. And turns off again when it reaches 50degC. 

Try these:

- Uninstall any app/software that your using for your card.

- Leave just the GeForce Experience (for Game-ready driver installation and updates) and Afterburner.

- Reboot your PC.

- In the Afterburner, under Fan tab of Settings - Enable user defined software automatic fan control. In the fan curve, set to start at least 30% fan speed at 30degC and play with the rest of the control settings up to 100% speed at 80degC. This settings will help your gpu fans not to get overwhelmed when it needs to cool your RTX3080Ti. So it will do a grinding sound of plane that is about to take off.

Apply settings and play your games and observe what difference it made.

thanks and ill give these a go as well and hopefully it fixes the issue

33 minutes ago, Rippers45 said:

thanks and ill give these a go as well and hopefully it fixes the issue

Sure. You're welcome. Please let me know.

Thanks as well.

3 minutes ago, RMTM said:

Sure. You're welcome. Please let me know.

Thanks as well.

I have tried these solutions but same problem its strange because it only does it on certain games and at certain points when it sounds like a jet engine 

9 minutes ago, Rippers45 said:

I have tried these solutions but same problem its strange because it only does it on certain games and at certain points when it sounds like a jet engine 

Oh, well. if you can now see if the fans does not turn-off even during idle, then it might just really be how the fans noise sounds like for that gpu. Or check if there is a switch in the gpu card that toggles default to performance gaming. Some card have that physical switch that bypasses the firmware. I'm not sure with your gpu card. If it does have it, turn it to performance mode.

And according to what I have read about this particular card, it is only observed to have a noise level of at least 40dBA during gaming. And 40dBA sounds like your usual library. Since yours sounds like a jet engine, better consider it for RMA, if it is still within warranty.

16 minutes ago, RMTM said:

Oh, well. if you can now see if the fans does not turn-off even during idle, then it might just really be how the fans noise sounds like for that gpu. Or check if there is a switch in the gpu card that toggles default to performance gaming. Some card have that physical switch that bypasses the firmware. I'm not sure with your gpu card. If it does have it, turn it to performance mode.

And according to what I have read about this particular card, it is only observed to have a noise level of at least 40dBA during gaming. And 40dBA sounds like your usual library. Since yours sounds like a jet engine, better consider it for RMA, if it is still within warranty.

okay so i have managed to get the fans to turn off while in idle by turning off the manual control in fan control program, when setting the fan curve how many nodes would you suggest for me use just because im not great at setting up fan curves 

8 minutes ago, Rippers45 said:

okay so i have managed to get the fans to turn off while in idle by turning off the manual control in fan control program, when setting the fan curve how many nodes would you suggest for me use just because im not great at setting up fan curves 

Great! Here is a screenshot below I can help you with. Try to apply it and see what happens.

312454252_FAnCurve.png.7abe2dccd6743756acdc2a478c68eab8.png

32 minutes ago, RMTM said:

Great! Here is a screenshot below I can help you with. Try to apply it and see what happens.

312454252_FAnCurve.png.7abe2dccd6743756acdc2a478c68eab8.png

hi mate tried your fan curve and so far so good tried warzone and the fans haven't gone into overdrive yet but i also decided to remove the temp limiter on afterburner and it seems to be okay so far 

17 minutes ago, Rippers45 said:

hi mate tried your fan curve and so far so good tried warzone and the fans haven't gone into overdrive yet but i also decided to remove the temp limiter on afterburner and it seems to be okay so far 

That's very good! Happy to help. Let me know if this already resolved the issue. Thanks.

2 hours ago, RMTM said:

That's very good! Happy to help. Let me know if this already resolved the issue. Thanks.

so i have just been gaming again and still nothing doesnt work i am getting so frustrated with it, its like card is ignoring the fan curb at a certain pointy that quickly jumps to 100% even though the fan speed are saying they are at 60%

37 minutes ago, RMTM said:

Oh, wow! That is really loud! Have you tried tinkering using its own software "Thundermaster"? I have no experience using this.

Finally i found a fix after so i actually just tinkered around with the temp limit and power limit, i reduced the power limit of the fan and reduced the temp limit and that did it no more engine like sounds the fan is now quiet i tried doom eternal maxed out at the temp is staying around 65-70c, the only question i have is if i reduce the temp limit to 74c and the power limit to 61c can that damage my card 

21 minutes ago, Rippers45 said:

No. It will not damage your card. If ever you have adjusted anything outside the cards capabilities. It will just freeze and/or restart. Then you'll just have to reset your cards settings and do some adjustments again. Until you find your stable settings.

32 minutes ago, RMTM said:

ah i see thank you for your help mate massively appreciated it 🙂

43 minutes ago, Rippers45 said:

ah i see thank you for your help mate massively appreciated it 🙂

You're welcome. Happy to help. Keep safe and have fun!

• 10 months later...
On 2/17/2022 at 3:58 AM, Rippers45 said:

May I get the temp and power limit  you used ?

• 1 year later...

A bit late on this but, I have the same card, and had the same issue. While my gpu temp was way below the temp limit, the hot spot was hitting over a 100°C. So the fix was just simply repasting the card. However, if you don't want to do that you can try undervolting or reduce the power limit.