Overheating cpu

E.K
5 hours ago, Caroline said:

K do your research. DON'T leave the backplate from the AIO installed, it won't be compatible with another cooler, it can be easily removed, just 4 screws hold it against the mobo. Intel's mounting mechanism is pretty simple, not like AMD's f*cking nightmare....

Now the technical details: you're getting an error on the fan because the previous owner wired the cooler incorrectly, the pump header is, as its name indicates, for a pump, the cable coming from your AIO is not that, since the pump is already being powered by a SATA power connector. The cable from your AIO is a tachometer signal, it basically reports the pump speed to the motherboard, it's the same as if you were using an air cooler, therefore it should go into the correct header, cpu_fan.

darn right it is.

Alright because I've seen were people still use some sort of same intel backplate for their new cooler but I guess they're talking about air cooling backplate. 

Yeah I only see like one cable connector coming from the aio, im not sure if ofc its being powered by  a SATA Power connector but that 3 pin connector is in the 'aio pump'.  Its alright though, I''ve get everything removed and that wont b a problem because air cooling I will definitely use the 'cpu fan' and cpu opt' as the cpu fan connector as directed for.

Yeah I prolly have to search how much space It'll be for my case but I've got a question about cases though, I have the MSI Gungir 111r case and I've seen the compatible cpu cooler and its compatible with the 110r. is the 111 and 110 the same but with some sort of differences??

44 minutes ago, Caroline said:

You should be looking at the max. CPU cooler height, your case supports coolers up to a 170mm height, as an example the Dark Rock Pro 4 is 163mm tall.

The only difference between the 110R and 111R cases is that the later features a half open front grill instead of a solid glass pane.

Always refer to the manufacturers websites for technical info, like:

Case: https://www.msi.com/PC-Case/MPG-GUNGNIR-111R/Specification

Cooler: https://www.bequiet.com/en/cpucooler/1378

Third party sources might use incorrect or outdated information.

Yeah so my maximum cpu cooler height is 170mm, my dark rock 4 is 159mm. So I'm guessing it barley fits. MA620P is 165mm, and the hyper 212 black edition is 158mm. They all fit my case.

8 hours ago, Caroline said:

A 168 or 169 would be barely fits if you have a 170 clearance.

Yeah so I've got the choice of dark pro 4, and hyper 212. MA620P might fit might be close but I think it'll fit. 

I'll be gone of days and I wont be able to be communicating but when I get back I think I'll conclude my decision.  But tbh I'm happy to spend more of my money towards a better cooler of profit and I wanted my budget maybe around $80 max but Im happy to spend an extra $20 towards the dark pro 4.

21 hours ago, Caroline said:

A 168 or 169 would be barely fits if you have a 170 clearance.

I've heard about notcua as well.

4 hours ago, Caroline said:

If you're fine with it do it, you'll be able to overclock the CPU again if you want with the bequiet cooler.

Alright but tbh Im not rlly great at installing any type of pc hardware or some sort of components, I'll see if I can get someone else to do it. I'll keep seeing other coolers and see some benchmark videos about the dark pro 4 but the thing is though that I'm wondering, what if it isn't a overheating problem. I understand that my cpu is reaching 100c just by loading into games and rises from idle temps but my idle temps are around 41c but it get hotter at random times though.

On 2/22/2022 at 5:34 AM, Caroline said:

It *is* an overheating problem if it hits 100C lol

Idle temps are low because the CPU is working at less than 1GHz doing nothing and is still somewhat cooled by a dying AIO.

Expect spikes while playing games, it's a problem inherent to the chip itself, it can be mitigated with a delid but you shouldn't be doing one if you don't feel confident, you can pretty much destroy the chip with a wrong move.

https://www.theregister.com/2017/05/04/intel_i77700_heat_spike_problems/

Alright I just need a cooler that does the job

You may want to start with a re-paste of the H100. The stock Corsair thermal paste will go hard and crusty within a few years and cause similar problems to what you have. Grab some proper thermal paste and start from there imho. It is of course possible that it is dying. But the cheapest option is to check for crap paste first.

1 hour ago, Pandur said:

You may want to start with a re-paste of the H100. The stock Corsair thermal paste will go hard and crusty within a few years and cause similar problems to what you have. Grab some proper thermal paste and start from there imho. It is of course possible that it is dying. But the cheapest option is to check for crap paste first.

Yeah I thought about that as well but I want to switch to air cooling anyways. Most AIO coolers die around 3-7 years and ik guessing mine is dying early. Air cooling is easier without the stakes of possibly breaking a component with an AIO.

5 hours ago, E.K said:

Yeah I thought about that as well but I want to switch to air cooling anyways. Most AIO coolers die around 3-7 years and ik guessing mine is dying early. Air cooling is easier without the stakes of possibly breaking a component with an AIO.

Fair enough. Good luck, hope that fixes your issues.

11 hours ago, Pandur said:

Fair enough. Good luck, hope that fixes your issues.

Alright thanks.