Windows Doesn't See Hard Drive

Go to solution Solved by Alex Atkin UK,
2 hours ago, b_ondoptical said:

Boot drive is a 500gb M.2 that hasn't been affected far as I can tell.  I'll dig around in the BIOS some more and check it out.

Ah so the information that application is producing is wrong, it claims the boot drive is ATA when its NVMe.

Have you tried manually installing the drivers? https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B560M-DS3H-rev-10/support#support-dl-driver-sataraidahci

Weird problem.  New PC, Windows 11, everything is fine except it doesn't see the secondary hard drive installed.  BIOS sees it but I can't get Windows to find it.  The only HDD related problem that I can see is there's an issue with a RAID Controller driver that doesn't want to update.  I've gone through Disk Manager, cmd prompt, and Device Manager without any luck.  I've also switched SATA ports.  All other drivers are up to date and working fine with the exception of the RAID Controller in Device Manager.  See screens for specs.  Any help is appreciated!

Spoiler

SpecsPC.png

13 minutes ago, b_ondoptical said:

Weird problem.  New PC, Windows 11, everything is fine except it doesn't see the secondary hard drive installed.  BIOS sees it but I can't get Windows to find it.  The only HDD related problem that I can see is there's an issue with a RAID Controller driver that doesn't want to update.  I've gone through Disk Manager, cmd prompt, and Device Manager without any luck.  I've also switched SATA ports.  All other drivers are up to date and working fine with the exception of the RAID Controller in Device Manager.  See screens for specs.  Any help is appreciated!

Reveal hidden contents

SpecsPC.png

The RAID driver is a red flag for me, I'd be checked the BIOS to make sure RAID isn't enabled as for a single drive it should be using the AHCI driver.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

You could try burning a Linux live ISO to a USB stick, booting it up, and seeing if it appears on there. Linux drivers are impressive, and this looks like a driver issue. You could also try reinstalling the storage drivers if you haven't already.

53 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

The RAID driver is a red flag for me, I'd be checked the BIOS to make sure RAID isn't enabled as for a single drive it should be using the AHCI driver.

Went thru BIOS, didn't even see any storage settings let alone RAID.  I'm pretty sure it's related to the RAID controller as well just haven't figured out how/why.  I uninstalled/reinstalled/updated the driver for it but it's still coming up as an error.

52 minutes ago, JeShGrCa said:

You could try burning a Linux live ISO to a USB stick, booting it up, and seeing if it appears on there. Linux drivers are impressive, and this looks like a driver issue. You could also try reinstalling the storage drivers if you haven't already.

I do have a USB with HBCD PE already setup.  I'll throw that in later and see if it comes up in there.

21 hours ago, b_ondoptical said:

Went thru BIOS, didn't even see any storage settings let alone RAID.  I'm pretty sure it's related to the RAID controller as well just haven't figured out how/why.  I uninstalled/reinstalled/updated the driver for it but it's still coming up as an error.

I do have a USB with HBCD PE already setup.  I'll throw that in later and see if it comes up in there.

There definitely should be storage options, if it supports RAID there has to be a way to switch between RAID and single-drive AHCI mode.

Strange, no mention of RAID in the manual but it does show AHCI under SATA Mode Selection in Settings, IO Ports, SATA and RST Configuration.

Its a strange one as presumably you're booting from another SATA drive right now so how can the drivers be broken or the setting be wrong?

WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)

3 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

There definitely should be storage options, if it supports RAID there has to be a way to switch between RAID and single-drive AHCI mode.

Strange, no mention of RAID in the manual but it does show AHCI under SATA Mode Selection in Settings, IO Ports, SATA and RST Configuration.

Its a strange one as presumably you're booting from another SATA drive right now so how can the drivers be broken or the setting be wrong?

Boot drive is a 500gb M.2 that hasn't been affected far as I can tell.  I'll dig around in the BIOS some more and check it out.

2 hours ago, b_ondoptical said:

Ah so the information that application is producing is wrong, it claims the boot drive is ATA when its NVMe.

Have you tried manually installing the drivers? https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B560M-DS3H-rev-10/support#support-dl-driver-sataraidahci

5 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

DOH.  It went through this time.  Thank you.