Gaming PC (Picking the PSU)

FireCharge
Go to solution Solved by Paralectic,

Are 600-650W PSU going to be enough even if I OC my CPU/GPU. I'm planning to get the 4670K to around 4GHz, and maybe OC my GPU but that's not for sure. For SLI, I don't think I'm going to head that way yet. Not with my budget and the fact that I'm soon about to start studying in a university. 

The 12MII sounds great, I thought of picking this one but my cousin told me that even 700 might not be enough.

The other one also looks good and I found it in a different store.

600-650watts is enough for a single GPU system with both the CPU and GPU overclocked yes.

I posted a question a couple of days ago and now I've started questioning the PSU I've picked.

Here are the specs:

CPU: Core i5 4670k

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z87-DS3H

CPU Cooling: Scythe NINJA 3

GPU: Gigabyte GTX770 2GB OC

Case: NZXT Phantom 410

Storage: Samsung 840 Evo 120gb as a boot drive + my current 1/2TB WD HDD

Memory: Kingston HyperX Beast T3 2X4GB DDR3 2400MHz

PSU: FSP Group HEXA 700W

The store from which I'm planning to buy the computer sells PSU/Case bundles for kinda cheap, so the HEXA is forced on me in this.

I live in Israel, so prices are in NIS: The case alone costs 468NIS. The PSU alone costs 384NIS. The bundle itself costs 690NIS, saving me 162NIS. The store doesn't sell bundles with PSUs above 700W, plus some other ones are more expensive.

On one hand, I've been told by several people to get a better PSU, first because it's only 700W and that could be borderline for the GPU and especially if I OC the CPU, which I plan to, and second because It's not modular and has a low efficiency percentage. On the other hand picking up a different PSU that has a larger wattage will make it way more expensive. The cheapest two PSUs with wattage of 750W are Seasonic 750W Active PFC 80MM (SS-750JS) for 425NIS, and the FSP Raider 750W 80Plus Silver (RA-750) for 481NIS.

I've been advised to sell the HEXA 700 and get a different one, but I don't think selling it would give me the entire price back, as well as it's not going to be very simple to sell it because most people would probably not go for a used PSU (in my opinion).

So to sum up:

1) Do I need a higher wattage PSU at all? What if I decide to OC the CPU/GPU?

2) If I should replace it/the case, to which? I'm looking for a quiet case, preferably with a front door and a side window (the window is not as important as the front door to me). My full budget for the PSU and the case is 1000NIS. Here's a link to the site of the store: http://www.tms.co.il , there's no address extension for English, but there's a UK flag in the top bar that will switch the language.

Thanks!

600watts 80Plus Silver, 630watts 80 Plus bronze or better effiency if you will not SLI in the future.

Or get an affordable 750watts bronze PSU ( CX 750M for example ) if you want to SLI in the future with overclocking included.

There's always the overly-recommended Fractal Design R4 case if you want something sleek, silent and affordable.

I don't know how good that PSU brand is, but I normally pick reputable brands that have good customer service such as Corsair. In the long run, having a PSU that does not produce a lot of ripple will increase the lifespan of the components.

§ ragedev.net §

600watts 80Plus Silver, 630watts 80 Plus bronze or better effiency if you will not SLI in the future.

Or get an affordable 750watts bronze PSU ( CX 750M for example ) if you want to SLI in the future with overclocking included.

There's always the overly-recommended Fractal Design R4 case if you want something sleek, silent and affordable.

I know, that case is awesome but wherever I look for it here it's just really overpriced... For example in NCIXUS it's 120$ for the windowed version versus 130 for the NZXT, but here it's 580NIS (for the windowed version) versus 470 for the NZXT. 

For CX750M.... They don't sell it here anywhere, looked on more than 10 store sites and I can't find it, plus I'm not going to order from abroad, first because I don't want to deal with manufacturer warranty (it's just going to take a really long while until the piece gets to them and back), plus taxes and shipping fees are through the roof. For example shipping one here from the US would probably cost around 40$, when the actual PSU costs 90, plus taxes, it ends up at around 160-180$.

Any other suggestions? I'd love a modular one but that's not mandatory.

I don't know how good that PSU brand is, but I normally pick reputable brands that have good customer service such as Corsair. In the long run, having a PSU that does not produce a lot of ripple will increase the lifespan of the components.

My friend has an FSP Group PSU and he says it's good, it's not that well known and I'd like an Antec/Corsair/Seasonic more but right now because of the bundle it's my best choice, unless I can get something else good within my budget.

I know, that case is awesome but wherever I look for it here it's just really overpriced... For example in NCIXUS it's 120$ for the windowed version versus 130 for the NZXT, but here it's 580NIS (for the windowed version) versus 470 for the NZXT. 

For CX750M.... They don't sell it here anywhere, looked on more than 10 store sites and I can't find it, plus I'm not going to order from abroad, first because I don't want to deal with manufacturer warranty (it's just going to take a really long while until the piece gets to them and back), plus taxes and shipping fees are through the roof. For example shipping one here from the US would probably cost around 40$, when the actual PSU costs 90, plus taxes, it ends up at around 160-180$.

Any other suggestions? I'd love a modular one but that's not mandatory.

My friend has an FSP Group PSU and he says it's good, it's not that well known and I'd like an Antec/Corsair/Seasonic more but right now because of the bundle it's my best choice, unless I can get something else good within my budget.

What about this model?

http://www.amazon.com/SeaSonic-650-Watt-CrossFire-Certified-SSR-650RM/dp/B00918N4A0/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1397725450&sr=1-2&keywords=seasonic

or a bit cheaper one:

http://www.amazon.com/Seasonic-M12II-620-BRONZE-SS-620GM2/dp/B003HE260I/ref=sr_1_6?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1397725450&sr=1-6&keywords=seasonic

The English button on the website you've provided us didn't work so I decided to get an Amazon link.

Are 600-650W PSU going to be enough even if I OC my CPU/GPU. I'm planning to get the 4670K to around 4GHz, and maybe OC my GPU but that's not for sure. For SLI, I don't think I'm going to head that way yet. Not with my budget and the fact that I'm soon about to start studying in a university. 

The 12MII sounds great, I thought of picking this one but my cousin told me that even 700 might not be enough.

600-650watts is enough for a single GPU system with both the CPU and GPU overclocked yes.

Alright! Thanks for everything!