Termination of Jio Fiber connection at the border of the house

HelloIN

Hi Team,

I live in India and am currently using Jio Fiber optic internet connection at my residence. There is a distribution box of Jio outside my house on the main road from where a fiber cable has been pulled in which goes straight into a Jio modem cum router (jio_fiber_box.jpeg). This box currently takes care of all the routing, switching and has an access point built in as well.

However, the residence is a 4 floored structure which has to be networked and knit together. So everything will be wired across the home with multiple dedicated access points in place.

The electrical contractor mentioned about a device that will be installed at the extreme corner of the plot which will convert fiber optic supplied by the ISP to CAT6 and this CAT6 will then feed into the network. So in this way, even if we change our ISP in the future, the ISP guys need not enter our house, they would just need to replace the fiber cable on that device which is installed at one corner.

I plan on using the TP link ER605 V1 Omada Gigabit VPN Router in my network.

I am really confused about how that device which will be installed at the corner would work and how will it replace the Jio box which is currently installed (jio_fiber_box.jpeg). The Jio box can only take Fiber optic cable as input. It has additional 4 LAN ports for expanding the network.

Please help me with understanding the device which will act as a bridge between fiber and ethernet and also share some examples of existing models about which I can study. Also, please help me in understanding how my ISP will integrate onto the network (I believe I would have to install their proprietary device jio_fiber_box.jpeg in the network compulsorily)

Thanks 

jio_fiber_box.jpeg

@HelloIN

A combination modem/router/AP/switch is called an internet gateway. In this case, it sounds like the Jio unit is a fiber gateway or ONT with a built-in wireless router.

Is the Jio unit installed at the end of the property where the fiber converts to ethernet or is it inside your home? If another media converter device is at the end of the property, then you’ll have to see if your ISP can use it or needs to run fiber straight to the home.

@Falcon1986 thanks for replying.

The Jio unit is inside the house as of now in the main network closet. 

Can you please give me an insight about these media converter devices and what purpose do they serve. 

In my opinion, since the Jio unit only takes fiber cable as input, it won't support cat6 for it's gateway. 

9 hours ago, HelloIN said:

Can you please give me an insight about these media converter devices and what purpose do they serve. 

As the name implies, it coverts your fiber to ethernet/copper. That’s all.

It will allow you to use your own router if it has an ethernet WAN port.

10 hours ago, HelloIN said:

In my opinion, since the Jio unit only takes fiber cable as input, it won't support cat6 for it's gateway. 

If Jio needs fiber to your home to use their gateway, then that’s what you need.

You can contact your ISP to see if they can use the existing infrastructure. They might have to use different hardware.

On 1/29/2022 at 9:09 PM, HelloIN said:

I am really confused about how that device which will be installed at the corner would work and how will it replace the Jio box which is currently installed (jio_fiber_box.jpeg). The Jio box can only take Fiber optic cable as input. It has additional 4 LAN ports for expanding the network.

You're not alone, that sounds very dubious to me as I'd expect the service to be FTTP which cannot simply be converted to ethernet, you HAVE to connect directly to the ISPs fiber using their paired ONT, its how the service works.

Now if the fiber was plain ethernet traffic then that certainly can be converted to copper, but even then it makes no real sense as connecting to a converter is not necessarily any harder than cutting your old fiber and joining the new, from outside.  They never need to touch your inside fiber again unless it breaks as its easy to splice fiber anywhere along its length.   Every picture I've seen of fiber installs have a box outside with excess fiber in it for this purpose, but then I can't comment for how things might be done in India.

Could that unit they were talking about be a competing fiber network that IS using ethernet and offers multiple different ISPs on it?  That's certainly possible, but wont be the same thing your current ISP is doing.  Makes me wonder if they are trying to confuse you into going with a provider they get commission for.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

@Alex Atkin UK thank you for replying.

The electrical contractor is actually really shady who most of the times talk about installing stuff which is not mandatorily required for home usage. Thus I always double check on the equipment installation. 

From what I've understood, for home usage, I don't need two ISP connections as it does not make sense to pay to two providers just for internet fallback in case of internet failure. 

I believe the thing I'm looking for is just a simple fiber patch connection just like any ethernet patch connection which runs inside the house. The setup which I can think about is like one point of the fiber patch cable terminates at the property boundary where the ISP can plug their fiber cable from the main ISP Junction box and the second end of the fiber patch cable comes into my network closet and terminates there, from here another fiber patch cable goes into my ISP's ONT/Gateway box. Then I can connect TP LINK Omada compatible router to this gateway and then have complete control over my network on the Omada ecosystem. 

I need to confirm this wiring of the fiber cable from the boundary of the property to my network closet since the ground floor electrical connections are just pending to be laid out and I'll need to specify this as a requirement to put a fiber cable under the ground for this purpose. Thus the decision is to be made asap. 

Thanks

3 hours ago, HelloIN said:

I believe the thing I'm looking for is just a simple fiber patch connection just like any ethernet patch connection which runs inside the house. The setup which I can think about is like one point of the fiber patch cable terminates at the property boundary where the ISP can plug their fiber cable from the main ISP Junction box and the second end of the fiber patch cable comes into my network closet and terminates there, from here another fiber patch cable goes into my ISP's ONT/Gateway box. Then I can connect TP LINK Omada compatible router to this gateway and then have complete control over my network on the Omada ecosystem.

It can be done that way, but typically they wont because every connector adds loss and loss on FTTP is avoided at all costs as it decreases the range and can introduce errors which can impact every customer connected to that fiber.  The common GPON based services split the fiber to 32 or more properties, you don't want to risk taking them all out with one dodgy connection.

In the UK for example the big telco use two pieces of fiber, one comes from the pole or duct splitter, the other has the plug pre-applied and is routed out of the property.  Then those two pieces are fusion spliced together outside the property with spare fiber wrapped up in an access box.

Loss is not as big an issue on ethernet based services as that will be dedicated fiber per customer so at worst you kill your own service only.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7