Crazy frame skipping on second monitor when gaming

Omie

So whenever I game on my main monitor, watching twitch streams and youtube on my second monitor via Chrome feel choppy and not true 60fps.

I think I found out why according to the skipped frames in the picture. This is after watching a stream for about 10mins while gaming on my main monitor. Alt tabbing to my second monitor and tabbing back into my game stops the frame skips, but if I ever alt tab out of my game again and then tab back in the skips come back. It's super weird.

Any way to resolve this or why this is happening?

Setup is i7 7700k, RTX 3070, 16GB RAM, Windows 11

• Main monitor is G-sync capable (Dell S2716DG, 144Hz, 1440p), G-sync is set to ON
  • Second monitor is G-sync compatible (Acer XFA240, 144Hz, 1080p), G-sync is set to OFF

cap.png

Cpu is probably a bit overloaded and you alt tabbing is switching the priority task for it most likely. Not uncommon.

3 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Cpu is probably a bit overloaded and you alt tabbing is switching the priority task for it most likely. Not uncommon.

The weird thing is that if I alt tab out and back in again, the frame skips stop when I’m gaming.

But if I do that same process again they return. If the Cpu was being overloaded, wouldn’t the frame skipping occur every time I was in the game? Also my CPU utilization is around 70-80% in most games.

2 minutes ago, Omie said:

The weird thing is that if I alt tab out and back in again, the frame skips stop when I’m gaming.

But if I do that same process again they return. If the Cpu was being overloaded, wouldn’t the frame skipping occur every time I was in the game? Also my CPU utilization is around 70-80% in most games.

Not per se as I said it's probably switching priority. Not only on the cpu but also gpu if hardware accelerated decoding is on in the browser (this is by default).

6 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Not per se as I said it's probably switching priority. Not only on the cpu but also gpu if hardware accelerated decoding is on in the browser (this is by default).

Yeah hardware acceleration is on. I can turn it off to see if it’ll help.

I also have HAGS on in Windows 11

32 minutes ago, Omie said:

Yeah hardware acceleration is on. I can turn it off to see if it’ll help.

I also have HAGS on in Windows 11

Oh yeah I've seen that being super wonky in 11 lots of people have had minor issues with it and it incorrectly scheduling. Maybe turning that off will help

14 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Oh yeah I've seen that being super wonky in 11 lots of people have had minor issues with it and it incorrectly scheduling. Maybe turning that off will help

No dice unfortunately. Turned off HAGS as well as hardware acceleration in Chrome but issue still persists. Some games (like League) will frame skip by +1 per second, while other games like Destiny 2 will frame skip by like +10 per second.