I have another pc

I7 6700k, z170, gtx 1080ftw

The pc wont turn on when gpu

Is pluged in

When i removed the gpu the pc

Turned on

Im guessing its a dead gpu

You're probably guessing correctly.

What you could do is try the GPU in another PC to make sure it is the culprit.

1 minute ago, Albert F said:

try the gpu in another pc to make sure it's not dead

I tried it im my new pc and wont turn on same thing

1 minute ago, rotexen said:

I tried it im my new pc and wont turn on same thing

well the gpu is probably dead then

15 minutes ago, fuzz0r said:

You're probably guessing correctly.

What you could do is try the GPU in another PC to make sure it is the culprit.

1 minute ago, Albert F said:

try the gpu in another pc to make sure it's not dead

I tried it im my new pc and wont turn on same thing

Just now, Albert F said:

well the gpu is probably dead then

This happened the after updating the gpu to newer nvidia driver

One thing you could try is a different PSU. If you don't have a second one you can use, to avoid spending money for one, you can try at a computer service shop and ask if they can try with a different PSU.

Same thing happened to me, same cpu as yours and same mobo, with msi 1070. In my case, it was also a dead gpu.

In this case, if I unplugged the gpu power pins, the computer did turn on, but obviously the gpu does not work this way. This way you can narrow down the problem to the gpu. At least that's what happened in my case.

19 minutes ago, rotexen said:

This happened the after updating the gpu to newer nvidia driver

A driver can't prevent the PC from turning on, driver is not loaded until Windows starts, and driver does not transfer over to a different PC. If the PC doesn't POST, and you can't get into BIOS, then it's a hardware issue. Do you hear a click from the PSU when you turn on the PC? I suspect a part of the GPUs VRM has failed and might be causing a short circuit, which the PSU will detect and overcurrent protection kicks in. 

6 minutes ago, maremp said:

One thing you could try is a different PSU. If you don't have a second one you can use, to avoid spending money for one, you can try at a computer service shop and ask if they can try with a different PSU.

Same thing happened to me, same cpu as yours and same mobo, with msi 1070. In my case, it was also a dead gpu.

In this case, if I unplugged the gpu power pins, the computer did turn on, but obviously the gpu does not work this way. This way you can narrow down the problem to the gpu. At least that's what happened in my case.

Im using the same psu for my new pc

And it works

6 minutes ago, Alvin853 said:

A driver can't prevent the PC from turning on, driver is not loaded until Windows starts, and driver does not transfer over to a different PC. If the PC doesn't POST, and you can't get into BIOS, then it's a hardware issue. Do you hear a click from the PSU when you turn on the PC? I suspect a part of the GPUs VRM has failed and might be causing a short circuit, which the PSU will detect and overcurrent protection kicks in. 

Yeah i hear a click but wont turn on

And im using the same psu for my new pc

6 minutes ago, Alvin853 said:

Do you hear a click from the PSU when you turn on the PC? I suspect a part of the GPUs VRM has failed and might be causing a short circuit, which the PSU will detect and overcurrent protection kicks in. 

Same thing happened in my case, what I was describing in previous post. The click is a sure sign of dead gpu, that's why I suggested to unplug the gpu power to test for this.

1 minute ago, maremp said:

Same thing happened in my case, what I was describing in previous post. The click is a sure sign of dead gpu, that's why I suggested to unplug the gpu power to test for this.

Do you think by clearing the cmos will help?

2 minutes ago, rotexen said:

Do you think by clearing the cmos will help?

You can try, it's quick and easy. But I don't have high hopes for it.

Here's the thread from when I had these problems, if you're curious

Sorry, I know it sucks to have the gpu die, especially in the current market 😞

6 minutes ago, rotexen said:

Yeah i hear a click but wont turn on

And im using the same psu for my new pc

Yep it's dead, but it might be fixable. Most likely a MOSFET has failed, but there's a chance the GPU chip itself is fine. If you have a repair shop in your area that does board repair, ask them if they can have a look at it. I've seen people fix cards like this on youtube. It'll cost you a pretty penny, but if the GPU chip still works, it's going to be much cheaper than getting a new GPU. 

4 minutes ago, maremp said:

You can try, it's quick and easy. But I don't have high hopes for it.

Here's the thread from when I had these problems, if you're curious

Sorry, I know it sucks to have the gpu die, especially in the current market 😞

So what did you do after this

Did you buy a new gpu or fixed it?

1 minute ago, Alvin853 said:

Yep it's dead, but it might be fixable. Most likely a MOSFET has failed, but there's a chance the GPU chip itself is fine. If you have a repair shop in your area that does board repair, ask them if they can have a look at it. I've seen people fix cards like this on youtube. It'll cost you a pretty penny, but if the GPU chip still works, it's going to be much cheaper than getting a new GPU. 

Yeah i saw the vedios on youtube they fix the evga gtx 1080ftw but i'm looking for s repair shop now .

If not ill just use my new pc for now

9 minutes ago, rotexen said:

So what did you do after this

Did you buy a new gpu or fixed it?

I know someone who does smd soldering and I bought matching mosfets so we tried to replace those. But even with that it did not work.

So yeah I ended up using the igpu for a while, and now I got a new card.

4 minutes ago, rotexen said:

Yeah i saw the vedios on youtube they fix the evga gtx 1080ftw but i'm looking for s repair shop now .

If not ill just use my new pc for now

Something you can do, if you're confident you won't make matters worse, is disassemble the GPU, take the cooler off, clean up the thermal paste, and take a good look whether the GPU die or any components around it look physically damaged. Careful with the thermal pads on the VRAM and VRM, ideally you want to reuse those. 

3 hours ago, Alvin853 said:

Something you can do, if you're confident you won't make matters worse, is disassemble the GPU, take the cooler off, clean up the thermal paste, and take a good look whether the GPU die or any components around it look physically damaged. Careful with the thermal pads on the VRAM and VRM, ideally you want to reuse those. 

I did disassemble the gpu and cleaned up the thermal paste but i didnt notice any dead components 

And when im done i pluged the gpu again to my new pc but didnt work

11 minutes ago, rotexen said:

I did disassemble the gpu and cleaned up the thermal paste but i didnt notice any dead components 

And when im done i pluged the gpu again to my new pc but didnt work

If nothing looks physically damaged then a repair shop might be able to save it. Dead MOSFETs usually don't show any visible signs, and if the GPU die is intact, then it hopefully didn't get a voltage spike when the MOSFET died and will be able to work once the VRM is restored. It's not guaranteed to be fixable, but I'd say the chances are better than a coinflip

On 1/22/2022 at 5:00 PM, Alvin853 said:

If nothing looks physically damaged then a repair shop might be able to save it. Dead MOSFETs usually don't show any visible signs, and if the GPU die is intact, then it hopefully didn't get a voltage spike when the MOSFET died and will be able to work once the VRM is restored. It's not guaranteed to be fixable, but I'd say the chances are better than a coinflip

I found a repair shop and they want $200 to fix it.

Should i pay and fix it or not worth?

26 minutes ago, rotexen said:

I found a repair shop and they want $200 to fix it.

Should i pay and fix it or not worth?

I don't really know what the current rates are, $200 seems a bit on the high side, but not unreasonable, repair shops might be cashing in on the current GPU situation or get overwhelmed with requests. Make sure you know what their policy on repair attempts is, if they can't fix it, do you still pay full price or is there a reduced repair attempt fee. $200 for a fix is well worth it, $200 and the card is still broken is a bad deal. Places that charge full price even when they don't fix the device are a little shady, how can you be sure they even tried to fix it. So most reputable repair shops offer a flat repair attempt fee or even have a no-fix-no-fee policy. Also what kind of warranty do they offer on the fix, if it fails again within a couple days.

5 minutes ago, Alvin853 said:

I don't really know what the current rates are, $200 seems a bit on the high side, but not unreasonable, repair shops might be cashing in on the current GPU situation or get overwhelmed with requests. Make sure you know what their policy on repair attempts is, if they can't fix it, do you still pay full price or is there a reduced repair attempt fee. $200 for a fix is well worth it, $200 and the card is still broken is a bad deal. Places that charge full price even when they don't fix the device are a little shady, how can you be sure they even tried to fix it. So most reputable repair shops offer a flat repair attempt fee or even have a no-fix-no-fee policy. Also what kind of warranty do they offer on the fix, if it fails again within a couple days.

They said will charge 200-300 dollars depending on the problem but i will ask them about the warranty you are right

17 hours ago, Alvin853 said:

I asked them about warranty they 3 months after the fix