Google is killing G-Suite Legacy accounts.

ryan29

Summary

G-Suite Legacy accounts that some people set up with custom domains 10+ years ago are being forced to switch to paid Workspace Accounts.

Quotes

If you have the G Suite legacy free edition, you need to upgrade to a paid Google Workspace subscription to keep your services. The G Suite legacy free edition will no longer be available starting May 1, 2022. Starting May 1, Google will seamlessly transition you to Workspace, which you can use at no cost until July 1, 2022.

My thoughts

This is going to be pretty rough for those of us that have Google Play purchases tied to those legacy accounts if Google doesn't do something to help us out.  For example, I have my family set up which is 6 users and all of us have a lifetime of Google Play purchases tied to those accounts.  Paying $432 per year isn't an option given the light usage and the fact that competitors like Zoho have a lite plan that would give us the e-mail functionality we need for $72 per year ($12 per user), it looks like we might have to re-buy all of our apps.  Hopefully Google clarifies how that's going to be dealt with.  Forcing us to pay or lose access to every app we've ever bought feels pretty bad.

Sources

G Suite legacy free edition - Google Workspace Admin Help

1 hour ago, ryan29 said:

This is going to be pretty rough for those of us that have Google Play purchases tied to those legacy accounts if Google doesn't do something to help us out. 

Their track record on this topic is fairly horrible, I'd prepare for the worst if I were you.

Guess what doesn’t work at all with a Workspace account? Google Pay. So when I did the migration (I had the lowest tier paid GSuite) I lost Google Pay access.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

I just received this notice too!  As a small business owner who got into G Suite free from very early on this is really disappointing news... It's now going to be ANOTHER cost added amid an ongoing struggle during a pandemic.