Help! Mining rig doesn't work!

Go to solution Solved by KingTdiGGiTTy,
8 minutes ago, Autumn Knight said:

I need a very small data connection to actually mine.

It's not the bandwidth of the connectio I'm concerned with, more whether the chipset permits that configuration at all.

9 minutes ago, Autumn Knight said:

Also, using one GPU also didn't work

That is odd. Maybe there are some settings you need to change in BIOs

Hi guys

I recently built a Mining Rig with an old computer from my parents and 2 GPUs that I got from Aliexpress. The config is this:

CPU: Pentium E5300

Motherboard: MSI MS-7525 (Boston) (Motherboard website: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c01386897)

RAM: 3 Gb DDR2

Mining GPUs: 2 P106-90 6Gb (same chip as the GTX 1060)

PSU: XPG Pylon 650W 80 Plus Bronze

Nicehash does detect the rig, but it doesn't show the GPUs. I did my research, those GPUs should work on any PCI-E slot.

I thought that it was the riser cables, but I tried 2 different types, USB (most traditional) and a PCI-E 1x to 16x adapter, and both lead to the same result.

As far as I can tell, each component works individualy, but not when I put them together.

CMOS Batery is charged. BIOS clock is right.

The rig is connected to cable, so no problems there.

The PSU is brand new.

I ran out of ideas guys, does anyone knows how to solve this?

MSI (OEM, HP) MS-7525 VER1.X (Boston).pdf

I think the problem here might be that the MoBo chipset doesn't have the ability to break up and assign the PCIe lanes properly.

Cheaper boards and chips like that one often only have 8-12 PCIe lanes total. so the 16x slot is running at 8x most likely and the other two slots may share a connection through the chipset or something.

I doubt there's a block diagram floating around for this.

1 hour ago, RTX 3090 said:

don't use NiceHash, they're not the best given their history

Okay, that's bad, but this project of mine right now is more for proof of concept than actual mining, and I am currently using nicehash OS, a Tiny Core Linux distro, away from my data. Are there other free alternatives for Nicehash?

42 minutes ago, KingTdiGGiTTy said:

I think the problem here might be that the MoBo chipset doesn't have the ability to break up and assign the PCIe lanes properly.

Cheaper boards and chips like that one often only have 8-12 PCIe lanes total. so the 16x slot is running at 8x most likely and the other two slots may share a connection through the chipset or something.

I doubt there's a block diagram floating around for this.

That could be an issue, but, in theory, I need a very small data connection to actually mine. Also, using one GPU also didn't work 😞

8 minutes ago, Autumn Knight said:

I need a very small data connection to actually mine.

It's not the bandwidth of the connectio I'm concerned with, more whether the chipset permits that configuration at all.

9 minutes ago, Autumn Knight said:

Also, using one GPU also didn't work

That is odd. Maybe there are some settings you need to change in BIOs