Thermalpad THickness for Zotac 3080 Trinity OC ? (and are current temps ok?)

Go to solution Solved by Kaaverik,
3 minutes ago, CasoF13 said:

do you mean hotspot , mem junk or normal gpu temp ? becuase sometimes mem reaches 98 but only sometimes mostly in timespy

Memory temperature! 馃檪 If the cooling pads on the front aren't enough, the back can be done later

Got my hands on a trinity oc 3080. while the gpu temps seams fine for most part mem junk temps sometimes peak at 96/98. because of this i think of switching the thermalpads with newer ones from聽Thermalright Thermalpads 12,8 W/mK. would these help ? and of course does someone know the thickness i need for the thermalpads ? 2mm? and what thermalpaste for the die are recommended ? same as cpu ? mx5? its my first time disassemlby a card so i dont want to mess things up.

This is a known oversight by Zotac, and there are a couple youtube videos about it. If you want to re-pad the card, there are 15w pads made by Gelid:

https://www.amazon.com/Gelid-Solutions-GP-Ultimate-Installation-Conductivity/dp/B08PKVZCWJ/ref=sr_1_4?crid=1P3XMCSBVAXNQ&keywords=gelid+2mm+thermal+pad&qid=1641831822&sprefix=gelid+2mm+thermal+%2Caps%2C312&sr=8-4

These appear to be the best pads to remedy the temperature problems. The proper size pads would be 2mm thick.

Any regular cpu thermal paste should be good for the card. Good luck!

Please quote me in your messages so that I am notified!

Remember to mark my post as answer if it answered your question!

Thank you! 馃槃

CPU:聽Ryzen 5 2600 @4.5ghz|聽Motherboard: Gigabyte AORUS M Micro-atx聽|聽

RAM:聽16gb Corsair Vengeance @ 3200mhz聽|聽GPU:聽Powercolor Red Devil Vega 56聽|聽

Case:聽Cooler Master NR400聽|聽Storage:聽512gb ADATA SX8200 Pro, some 2tb hard drives聽|聽

PSU:聽Seasonic Focus+ 750w Platinum聽|聽Display(s):Viewsonic XG2402 / AOC I2367FH聽|聽

Cooling:聽Scythe Kabuto 3 / 3x Thermaltake Riing RGB Fans聽|聽Keyboard:聽Corsair K65 Lux聽|聽

Mouse:聽Corsair Harpoon聽| Sound: Steelseries Arctis 3聽|聽Operating System:聽Windows 10 Home

1 hour ago, Kaaverik said:

This is a known oversight by Zotac, and there are a couple youtube videos about it. If you want to re-pad the card, there are 15w pads made by Gelid:

https://www.amazon.com/Gelid-Solutions-GP-Ultimate-Installation-Conductivity/dp/B08PKVZCWJ/ref=sr_1_4?crid=1P3XMCSBVAXNQ&keywords=gelid+2mm+thermal+pad&qid=1641831822&sprefix=gelid+2mm+thermal+%2Caps%2C312&sr=8-4

These appear to be the best pads to remedy the temperature problems. The proper size pads would be 2mm thick.

Any regular cpu thermal paste should be good for the card. Good luck!

thx so all should be 2mm and from what i read only at the die side right ?

7 minutes ago, CasoF13 said:

thx so all should be 2mm and from what i read only at the die side right ?

Yep! 2mm only on the front side of the card with the gpu die. Just replace the ones on the vram module. If you want to do the memory on the back, you will need to double stack 1.5mm thermal pads. You can use these: https://www.amazon.com/ARCTIC-Thermal-Efficient-Conductivity-Handling/dp/B00UYTU6Z6?th=1

Thank you! 馃槃

Case:聽Cooler Master NR400聽|聽Storage:聽512gb ADATA SX8200 Pro, some 2tb hard drives聽|聽

PSU:聽Seasonic Focus+ 750w Platinum聽|聽Display(s):Viewsonic XG2402 / AOC I2367FH聽|聽

Cooling:聽Scythe Kabuto 3 / 3x Thermaltake Riing RGB Fans聽|聽Keyboard:聽Corsair K65 Lux聽|聽

Mouse:聽Corsair Harpoon聽| Sound: Steelseries Arctis 3聽|聽Operating System:聽Windows 10 Home

53 minutes ago, Kaaverik said:

Yep! 2mm only on the front side of the card with the gpu die. Just replace the ones on the vram module. If you want to do the memory on the back, you will need to double stack 1.5mm thermal pads. You can use these: https://www.amazon.com/ARCTIC-Thermal-Efficient-Conductivity-Handling/dp/B00UYTU6Z6?th=1

so zotac 3080 have vram on the back also despite fe not is this right ?

36 minutes ago, CasoF13 said:

so zotac 3080 have vram on the back also despite fe not is this right ?

Sorry, i didn't mean to say vram! There are power vrms on the back for power that get quite hot and need to be padded as well. Sorry for the confusion.

Thank you! 馃槃

11 minutes ago, Kaaverik said:

Sorry, i didn't mean to say vram! There are power vrms on the back for power that get quite hot and need to be padded as well. Sorry for the confusion.

my temps are in hwinfo (hitman3) max peak gpu 78,1 hotspot 89,9 memJunk 92. theses vrms which value (if monitorable) are these most likley . my main councern are only the mem junk ,gpu seams fine (i hope or arent they) . so for mem junk only at die side right ? or ar the vrms temps so bad that they should also be replaced. for the die side are one聽90 x 50 x 2 of your recommended gelid solution enough?

23 minutes ago, CasoF13 said:

my temps are in hwinfo (hitman3) max peak gpu 78,1 hotspot 89,9 memJunk 92. theses vrms which value (if monitorable) are these most likley . my main councern are only the mem junk ,gpu seams fine (i hope or arent they) . so for mem junk only at die side right ? or ar the vrms temps so bad that they should also be replaced. for the die side are one聽90 x 50 x 2 of your recommended gelid solution enough?

Your GPU temperature seems to be okay!

Yes, so on this card there is a version with memory on the back of the pcb and front... And there is another with memory only on the front. However, both sides still require the thermal pads.

The 2mm pads are for the memory chips on the front. If there is memory on the back, you can use the 2mm pads. Otherwise, if there are only vrms, you have to use the stacked 1.5mm pads. The vrms don't get much cooling on the back, so they can heat things up quickly

This card has the memory modules on the front only

front1.jpg

back.jpg

Thank you! 馃槃

13 minutes ago, Kaaverik said:

Your GPU temperature seems to be okay!

Yes, so on this card there is a version with memory on the back of the pcb and front... And there is another with memory only on the front. However, both sides still require the thermal pads.

The 2mm pads are for the memory chips on the front. If there is memory on the back, you can use the 2mm pads. Otherwise, if there are only vrms, you have to use the stacked 1.5mm pads. The vrms don't get much cooling on the back, so they can heat things up quickly

This card has the memory modules on the front only

front1.jpg

back.jpg

the small chip at the front is also memory?with 2mm pad thickness?

the small chip at the front is also memory?with 2mm pad thickness?

It is a small vrm chip! Yes, it will need a 2mm pad.

These are pretty much all the spots that need padding

Thank you! 馃槃

9 minutes ago, Kaaverik said:

It is a small vrm chip! Yes, it will need a 2mm pad.

These are pretty much all the spots that need padding

thx for all. so to sum it up if i want to only replace pads for mems, 2mm for all mems regardless of side should be fine if i leave vrm wth stock pads because hotspot 90 should be ok.

1 minute ago, CasoF13 said:

thx for all. so to sum it up if i want to only replace pads for mems, 2mm for all mems regardless of side should be fine if i leave vrm wth stock pads because hotspot 90 should be ok.

Yep! It should be fine to leave the vrms on the back alone for now, you should be okay by replacing the front memory chips + 1 vrm with 2mm pads.

If the temperature goes above 95 I would think about putting new pads on the vrms on the back too.

Thank you! 馃槃

1 minute ago, Kaaverik said:

Yep! It should be fine to leave the vrms on the back alone for now, you should be okay by replacing the front memory chips + 1 vrm with 2mm pads.

If the temperature goes above 95 I would think about putting new pads on the vrms on the back too.

do you mean hotspot , mem junk or normal gpu temp ? becuase sometimes mem reaches 98 but only sometimes mostly in timespy

Memory temperature! 馃檪 If the cooling pads on the front aren't enough, the back can be done later

Thank you! 馃槃

thanks for your help and patience . this will be my first time disassembly a card so better safe then sorry聽馃槅

thanks for your help and patience . this will be my first time disassembly a card so better safe then sorry聽馃槅

Of course! No problem at all. Good luck!

Thank you! 馃槃