GTX 1080Ti odd potential issue?

NecroFlex

My friends Zotac GTX 1080ti AMP edition has been giving him issues. He's had some game crashes with "Direct3D" errors, he asked me to look into it and for me, it's been odd.

World of Warships works flawlessly, Ultimate Admiral: Dreadnoughts is fine too, BeamNG has had 3 crashes, all of them pointing out that the GPU stopped responding, event viewer shows that "Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered", Furmark ran flawlessly, 3DMark Demo had artefacts and a few crashes, i tried Doom with OpenGL and Vulkan, both worked fine but randomly had heavy stutters, id kif that was game related, gsync related or GPU related, but no crashes or artefacts.

GPU-Z reported the GPU temp to be around 75-78°C, the Hot Spot was supposedly 92°C (not sure where that sensor is), Power draw was up and down, but max was 248W supposedly, boost was around 1900MHz up and down. I reinstalled drivers, used March 2021 drivers, tried with GSync disabled etc. 3DMark had the same result, artefacts/crashes. (PSU is more than good enough, can power a 3x8-pin 3080).

No idea what this could be, GPU being unstable at times? Driver issue? Hardware? Any ideas are appreciated (card has been repasted yes)

8 hours ago, dilpickle said:

Are you overclocking it

No overclock, just the Nvidia boost. I even tried to underclock it and it did the same thing. I also tried Quantum Break now, works flawlessly.

8 hours ago, NecroFlex said:

Zotac GTX 1080ti AMP

Hot spot at 92c seem a little high for this card. Should be memory temp. For reference on my EVGA 1080 ti superclocked BE I get around 78-80C at max in summer heat (hotspot) with no memory heatsink on. I got a fan directly blowing on the card though. 

Have you tried DDU and running it in safe mode? ( you can choose to set prompt for this in the program settings of DDU) https://www.wagnardsoft.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3847

Running 496.76, seem to be a good all around driver: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/drivers/results/183939/

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

1 hour ago, DoctorNick said:

Hot spot at 92c seem a little high for this card. Should be memory temp. For reference on my EVGA 1080 ti superclocked BE I get around 78-80C at max in summer heat (hotspot) with no memory heatsink on. I got a fan directly blowing on the card though. 

Have you tried DDU and running it in safe mode? ( you can choose to set prompt for this in the program settings of DDU) https://www.wagnardsoft.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3847

Running 496.76, seem to be a good all around driver: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/drivers/results/183939/

I'll try that driver, if i ramp up the fan speed the hotspot doesn't go over 83c, but with auto fan it gets to 92c, tho in games it hovers around 88-90c

4 hours ago, DoctorNick said:

So i DDUd the drivers, installed this one and 3DMark still has artefacts. I tried FarCry6 which works flawlessly, i tried Unigine Superposition bench on 1080p extreme, both directx and opengl, dx worked fine, opengl had 1 crash (event viewer said driver recovered), tried 4k optimised, worked fine. So i have no idea what to think.

1 hour ago, NecroFlex said:

So i DDUd the drivers, installed this one and 3DMark still has artefacts. I tried FarCry6 which works flawlessly, i tried Unigine Superposition bench on 1080p extreme, both directx and opengl, dx worked fine, opengl had 1 crash (event viewer said driver recovered), tried 4k optimised, worked fine. So i have no idea what to think.

I would try with new thermal pads, maybe the vrm gets really hot.

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

He doesnt have it vertically mounted by any chance ? By which i mean is he using a PCI-E riser cable ?

I recently solved a similar issue with my 1080ti, turned out it was my riser cable i installed ~10 months ago that was the cause. Once i removed it and put the card back directly into the MB, no more problems.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

On 1/10/2022 at 6:53 PM, SolarNova said:

He doesnt have it vertically mounted by any chance ? By which i mean is he using a PCI-E riser cable ?

I recently solved a similar issue with my 1080ti, turned out it was my riser cable i installed ~10 months ago that was the cause. Once i removed it and put the card back directly into the MB, no more problems.

No vertical mount. I tested it on another monitor and it worked fine without crashes/artefacts, so i'm stuck on what the issue could be, if there even is an issue to begin with.