Review: Unbelievable Bluetooth range with AX3000 Dual Band PCI-E WiFi 6 (802.11ax) Adapter with 2 external antennas.

Svek

I was sceptical of what kind of a difference this would make at first, but after trying this. I am a true believer.

The Bluetooth range on this is something on it's own class.

Previously, I could be a couple meters away from machine with my wireless headphones until the signal would get a bit distorted, then a few steps later it would be inaudible.

Now... I can get up from my desk in the middle of a call, or listening to music, walk over to another room (yes, including the bathroom) and the range is just insanely different. I mounted the antenna on the wall in a generally "ok" spot in the room where it doesn't distract from the interior design of my room, so I'm certain this is a big reason for the difference in performance.

As a quick test, I tried to compare it with my mobile phone's Bluetooth range (in case it was just that the previous Bluetooth setup for my PC was the culprit) -- but even the mobile phone didn't even come close.

Yes, all the WiFi enhancements are great, too... But I usually run over a hard-line and WiFi is only needed for some edge scenarios -- however Bluetooth is a daily driver for me, and this has totally changed the way I function at home, my headsets are glued to my head now and I rarely take them off.

I highly recommend this for those who enjoy using Bluetooth noise cancelling headsets on their daily-driver workstation! 

Official Product Page

AX3000 Dual Band PCI-E WiFi 6 (802.11ax) Adapter with 2 external antennas. Supporting 160MHz, Bluetooth 5.0, WPA3 network security, OFDMA and MU-MIMO

OP product mainImage

• 1 month later...

What exactly did improve your Bluetooth range most?

• The new AX3000 card
  • The new antenna that came with it
  • Repositioning the antenna

I have horrible BT range myself, but using a different card is not an option for me.

How long is the antenna cable? Maybe I will order an antenna like yours.

@GenuineJakob

Assuming the only problem is range only (the card or built-in hardware you already have is adequate). I would say the antenna plays a big role.

Antenna Cable

On this particular one (in my above review), The antenna cables are very thick and rigid (1cm) and longer (about a 1.2 meters) on this unit, whereas the others I have usually gotten for free with the motherboard are pretty thin and shorter.

Antenna Design

This design of this particular one separates the channels and stays super conventional, similar to how access points and routers do it. This might play a role in how it performs depending on what you are currently using.

Where to buy the Antenna

I found a seller on eBay that is selling something that looks like the equivalent

2.4GHz 5GHz WiFi 6dBi Antenna,Dual RP-SMA Connector For Asus Linksys Router AP | eBay

*** This is just from a random search, so I would recommend to look around for alternative sellers.

Keep in mind you might be looking for something else that specializes in longer cables as 1.2m may not be enough depending on if you put your machine on the desk top ("Desktop"), or under your desk.

Antenna Positioning

As a side note, the positioning of the antenna is limited to the length of the antenna cables (obviously), and would likely be the most significant factor to range limitations. Beyond that, keep in mind of signal interference (other wireless devices), signal loss (distance and ability to pass through different materials), maximum signal power (hardware).

I found that placing the antennas pointing up and about a couple feet above your head

Thank you very much for your detailed reply. When I researched about better antennas, some said the loss through the longer cable, would be more damaging than the gain from the better position. I will definitely look at the antenna you linked, maybe I find something similar in Europe.

I would love a solution where you could glue a thin but tall/long PCB antenna on the side of your desk, that is facing the wall. It would be in a perfect position to reach mouse, keyboard, controller and headphones.