Z690 system wont post with DDR4 ram past 3600 speed

Hi everyone. I recently upgraded my rig to Z690 on the asus TUF D4 board, with a 12900kf and corsair vengeance rgb pro 3600 CL18 ram. When i first built the system, i believe i enabled XMP and the system booted/ posted just fine. I then updated the bios, and now the system wont post with the ram speed set anywhere above 3200 speed.

Some troubleshooting things ive tried;

-reseat the ram

- flashed back all older versions of the bios

-reflashed the 0807 bios (Latest as of now)

nothing has worked as of yet and im at a lost as to if this is a ram issue or if its a board/ software issue. any help would be appreciated

Very vexing, it is approved memory. 

Although obvious, did you check to make sure you're using slots A2 and B2 (if using two sticks of RAM)?

Did you clear the CMOS?

What did GPU-Z ID your RAM as (just in case you didn't get what you paid for)?

Do you have the BIOS Manual? There is a LOT in there. (see attached file)

I'm interested in your progress, because I'm looking at this board.

501310316_PRIME_PROART_TUF_GAMING_Intel_600_Series_BIOS_EM_WEB_EN1.pdf

5 hours ago, Bananamcfly said:

corsair vengeance rgb pro 3600 CL18

What's the exact partnumber? It starts with CMW.

10 hours ago, Mope El Two said:

Very vexing, it is approved memory. 

Although obvious, did you check to make sure you're using slots A2 and B2 (if using two sticks of RAM)?

Did you clear the CMOS?

What did GPU-Z ID your RAM as (just in case you didn't get what you paid for)?

Do you have the BIOS Manual? There is a LOT in there. (see attached file)

I'm interested in your progress, because I'm looking at this board.

501310316_PRIME_PROART_TUF_GAMING_Intel_600_Series_BIOS_EM_WEB_EN1.pdf 9.16 MB · 1 download

Hello. Thanks for your suggestions.

1) Yes i did check ( a lot of times) that the ram is in A2/B2 bot physically and in the bios.

2) Just tried physically clearing bios. no dice. i used the jumper on the board and didnt remove the battery.

3) im assuming you meant CPU Z and not GPU Z. i just checked. an interesting thing that i noticed and perhaps you can shed some light. the uncore frequency is running at 3600, whereas the memory controller freq and dram frequency is running at 1600.

(Some background; i currently have XMP1 enabled, but the dram target speed was lowered to 3200, rather than the xmp profiles selected 3600, as it wont post with anything set higher than that.)

Capture.PNG.b6fb3d8ad6bfd3743589a158cfb5d960.PNG1724409379_Capture1.PNG.66642b855d753a6fa8caaf19a5f42c8d.PNG

4) I havent looked through the bios manual and will do so today, but i dont think ill change much as when i try to enable xmp with 3600 speed it just doesnt work.

any other suggestions?

6 hours ago, --SID-- said:

What's the exact partnumber? It starts with CMW.

the part number is; CMW16GX4M2Z3600C18

Uncore freq has to do with the CPU, your RAM is still running at 3200. (Yeah, I did mean CPU-Z 🙄).

How do you enable XMP 1 on that motherboard? 

The timings match the XMP profile, except for the speed, and that is odd. 

Do you have access to any other memory (borrow from a very nice friend)?

Have you contacted Corsair and Asus yet?

4 hours ago, Bananamcfly said:

the part number is; CMW16GX4M2Z3600C18

That's Ryzen optimized RAM and don't work very well with Intel. Return it and get a kit that don't have a Z in the part number.

1 hour ago, --SID-- said:

That's Ryzen optimized RAM and don't work very well with Intel. Return it and get a kit that don't have a Z in the part number.

It's in the boards compatible ram list. So it should work regardless if it's ryzen optimized 

8 hours ago, Mope El Two said:

Uncore freq has to do with the CPU, your RAM is still running at 3200. (Yeah, I did mean CPU-Z 🙄).

How do you enable XMP 1 on that motherboard? 

The timings match the XMP profile, except for the speed, and that is odd. 

Do you have access to any other memory (borrow from a very nice friend)?

Have you contacted Corsair and Asus yet?

I believe XMP is under the AI overclocking setting. But I'm just recalling from memory. I had to change the Dram Frequency manually to 3200 as it wouldn't post with 3600 speeds set by the XMP profile.

I unfortunately don't have any One I could borrow some similar spec ram from.

I have contacted Asus, but they've get to give me an answer. Would there be any way to tell if its bad ram or if it's the board?

Tbh my current thoughts are that it's a ram issue. When I first built my system, I had issues posting and was only solved by reseating the ram. Coupled with this issue now. (See update post below)

Update;

I did more troubleshooting. this time i tried one stick at the time in slot A2 and here are the conclusions.

Stick 1; Booted/ posted at 3600 XMP1, but will crash very quickly.

Stick 2; Will not post/ boot with 3600 XMP1. will only run 3200 XMP1

On 1/14/2022 at 5:52 AM, Mope El Two said:

Any further updates?

I posted an update here

On 1/7/2022 at 10:15 PM, Bananamcfly said:

Update;

I did more troubleshooting. this time i tried one stick at the time in slot A2 and here are the conclusions.

Stick 1; Booted/ posted at 3600 XMP1, but will crash very quickly.

Stick 2; Will not post/ boot with 3600 XMP1. will only run 3200 XMP1

Besides that I'm kinda stumped as to what the issue might be and haven't tried anything new. I have an appointment at the service centre tomorrow. Hopefully that'll shed some light.

I think it's bad ram tbh because when I first built my rig, it initially refused to post until I reseated the ram and let it cycle a bunch. The board kept saying it was a gpu issue, but when I placed my known good GTX970 in it and also reseated my 3080, no dice. That's when I tried to reseat the ram then boom, it worked immediately. 

Plus given these xmp issues, that's my guess. I've contacted asus, but they haven't been the most helpful and it's been a very slow process

Update; I just got a replacement set from corsair. looks like i got a lemon the first time round. with the new set, it immediately posts on XMP at 3600 no issues