Changing thermal paste on Legion 5 Pro

benji_-

So I'm considering repasting my Lenovo Legion 5 Pro (ryzen 7 5800h and rtx 3070 version) because in a few months it'll get pretty hot here and even now in the colder season its pretty warm (around 95° cpu and 88° ).

My question is that what thermal compound would you use considering the following problems:

A fluidy thermal paste pumps out on laptops.

The better ones like the Kingpin kpx, Thermalright TFX, Phobya Nanogrease, Noctua NH-2 or the Thermal Grizzly Kyronaut are only effective for 4-5 months or so

Liquid metal i won't say it's a risky thing to apply but it'll definitely hurt the copper heatsink overtime and it also dries out quickly.

Thermal Grizzly Carbonaut have a decent performance, it won't dry out at least and it has a decent performance, but i've never ever used something like it and i heard of the fitting issues that you really need to apply it carefully to fit perfectly.

So if you guys could recommend something what you use for more than 9 or 12 months and it's still working great i would really appreciate it.

there are pastes out there that will last a year but performance won't be at an acceptable level while they do for obvious reasons

lenovo has pretty good pre-applied paste so if i were you i would first try undervolting the cpu before tearing the unit apart

18 minutes ago, benji_- said:

season its pretty warm (around 95° cpu and 88° ).

That's not warm,that's toasted silicon levels of heat...

My laptop goes to 84°C max.

18 minutes ago, benji_- said:

So if you guys could recommend something what you use for more than 9 or 12 months and it's still working great i would really appreciate it.

The Arctic MX-2 is good and cheap.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

The stock paste isn't bad on Lenovo. Trying an undervolt or minor clock limit might be enough to put you into a reasonable temp range.

IC Diamond lasts pretty long and doesn't have a lot of pump-out, it's good at dealing with looser fitting heatsinks too. Performance is comparable to Kryonaut. It may scuff the die surface a little if you scrape it off roughly, but I haven't had that issue on my machines.

Most regular paste are bad for GPU, and/or Laptop use due to increased thermal cycling. Only a small subset of paste are adequate for the use case scenario you're talking about. And that's highly viscous, hard to spread paste (or as said, opposite from "fluidy"). I already made a list from best to passable, from the ones that are good for this in another topic a while back:

Just need to add that unfortunately Gelid seems to have changed the packaging and/or the paste itself, and Gelic GC-Extreme is a risky move atm (The old packing is yellow).

To summarize, you've already mentioned 2 of the 3 best options on the market atm, and here's my comparison from the other forum topic:

TFX = SYY-157 = Phobya NanoGrease Extreme >

Mastergel Pro v2 = Thermal Grizzly Hydronaut >

Batman ZF-12 = Mastergel Maker Nano = Gelid GC Extreme = Thermalright TF-8 >

Noctua NT-H1 > Noctua NT-H2

Caveats are, Mastergel being my assumption, and not true and tried from the monster forum topic on notebook forum, Hydronaut I'm 90% sure should be in the spot it is, and Gelid GC Extreme is too risky.

Thank you for you answers these were really helpful. I decided to keep the stock paste at least until i have a waranty for the laptop because in my country you lose it, even if you just damageg a screw or something. My plan is to make a 2 noctua fan based cooling pad that should do better than these 6 dollar noisy piece of shits. If it starts to throttle in the summer i guess i'll just repaste it but for now i'll probably just order the stuffs for plan B. Btw thanks for the paste guide @Dogzilla07

@benji_-np, as for the pump-out effect, idk, i haven't checked the notebookreview topic in a while, but SYY-157 (available on amazon), and Batman ZF-12 would probably be the ones with the least chance, and TFX as well maybe.

Thanks a lot, if i have to replace it i probably don’t want to change it every 3 months so that means a lot imo

On 1/5/2022 at 10:31 PM, Dogzilla07 said:

@benji_-np, as for the pump-out effect, idk, i haven't checked the notebookreview topic in a while, but SYY-157 (available on amazon), and Batman ZF-12 would probably be the ones with the least chance, and TFX as well maybe.

So should Phobya NanoGrease Extreme be as good option? As I have one retailer over here, where I can get that. SYY-157 I have to order from Amazon.

1 hour ago, L3BRACON said:

So should Phobya NanoGrease Extreme be as good option? As I have one retailer over here, where I can get that. SYY-157 I have to order from Amazon.

SYY-157 is a slightly better choice, but NanoGrease is gonna be more than fine.