870 EVO errors disappear after firmware update

Diligence

Hi guys,

My 1 TB Samsung 870 EVO was working fine and suddenly began to give me errors when copying files from it. I emptied the drive and formatted it. I performed a full diagnostic scan using Samsung magician and it gave me many bad spots on the drive. I also performed a SMART test and it stopped after a few minutes with a red message on the top right corner of the window reading "Failing LBA". Also, the SMART values for "Uncorrectable Error Count" and "ECC Error Rate" are at critical values. The Drive has only 2.5TB written and is less than a year old so, it hasn't really been used much

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I took out the drive, intending to RMA it. I left it for a week without power and just before returning it, I connected it again and found that a new firmware version is available. After installing it, no errors were found on the drive during the full diagnostic scan and the "Failing LBA" message stopped appearing but the SMART errors remained.

spacer.png

Espacer.png

I have a couple of questions for you:

1) Were the errors caused by a problem in the previous firmware version?

2) Should I return the drive?

3) Do I have a valid case for return / replacement?

TDC MK VII: 7900X3D//\\ROG STRIX LC 240 RGB//\\Crosshair X670E Hero//\\Palit RTX 4090 Gamerock//\\SK Hynix Platinum P41 2 TB//\\WD Black SN850X 2 TB//\\WD Black SN850X 2 TB w/Heatsink//\\Samsung 990 Pro 2TB//\\ Samsung 870 Evo 2TB//\\Samsung 870 Evo 1TB

Ihuarraquax: 5950X//\\NH-D15 chromax.black//\\Crosshair VIII Dark Hero//\\RTX 3080 Ti Gaming Pro//\\1TB Sabrent Rocket NVMe 4.0//\\1TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus//\\10TB WD Purple//\\6TB WD Black//\\Xonar DX//\\TT Armor Revo Snow Edition//\\ASUS MG279Q//\\K100 RGB OPX//\\Naga Pro with Dock//\\Artisan Hayate Otsu//\\Glorious Large Mousepad//\\JDS Labs O2 Amp//\\Moukey 4 Channel Stereo Mixer//\\HD6XX headphone//\\Massdrop Minimic

Arc Reactor: 3900X with the Stock Cooler//\\ ROG Strix X570-E Gaming//\\RTX 3080 TUF OC//\\32GB Patriot Viper RGB @3466 MHz//\\256 GB Samsung 850 Pro//\\Asus GT301//\\
Logitech G710//\\Logitech G9X//\\Roccat Raivo//\\Bitfenix ARGB GPU Holder

Tertiary System: 6700K//\\Cooler Master V6GT//\\Gigabyte Z170X- Gaming 7//\\16GB HyperX DDR4 @2666Mhz//\\SanDisk SSD Plus 480GB//\\WD Green 1TB//\\3TB WD Green//\\4TB WD Black//\\6TB WD Purple//\\Cooler Master Storm Sniper//\\Sennheiser HD 598//\\Logitech G502 HERO//\\Roccat Taito Mousepad//\\LG 49" 4K TV 49UM7340PVA

Of course return it, Samsung has a good RMA repuation and shall fix it or replace it for ya

Ryzen 9 5950X Gigabyte Aorus Elite B550 V2  MSI RX 6750XT Corsair HX1200 3xLL120 Fans 7xA12x25 Fans 5000D Airflow Vengeance RGB PRO 1.450 @ 4133MHz CPU Cooler: NH-U12A